FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » From the Founder of International Tiki Day
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
From the Founder of International Tiki Day
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 8:27 pm   Permalink

Bluuuuue... Poooooo...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 10:47 pm   Permalink

Wow! Sounds like a great time was had by all. (As if I expected any less from a TC party.) Sorry we couldn't be there. Atomic Cocktail is still in NYC (hangin' with some old film crew buddies at the Met tomorrow!) and I was home hangin' with MamaVintage who's having some serious health issues. (After a medically scary and stressful week I kinda needed the rest too.) But I still thought of you all while fixing dinner and drinking some fruit juice and rum concoction I made. And I, too, wondered how many drinks Al had made at that point.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-08-17 08:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-16 20:27, Doctor Z wrote:
Bluuuuue... Poooooo...

It's all true! Incredible! Terrifying!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-08-17 09:07 am   Permalink

We had a great time. Thanks so much to A&S for the amazing hospitality. The drinks were fantastic, the Menehune's sounded great, and it was great to see everyone and meet some new folks as well. Thanks also to Bong and Pop for all the help planning. Rebecca really appreciated all the birthday attention and had a great night.

Mahalo to all!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-17 08:59, martiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-08-16 20:27, Doctor Z wrote:
Bluuuuue... Poooooo...

It's all true! Incredible! Terrifying!

mine was green!! I must've had more eggs than you folks.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 7:10 pm   Permalink

International Tiki Day is now my new fave holiday! Mahalo to Al & Shelly for hosting (Fabulous Lagoon Room should be upgraded to Fantabulous!) and to everyone who put so much effort into making this celebration a smashing success. The hospitality, music, dancers, food and drinks were da best. And the TC Ohana are always a pleasure to hang with. Had a great time...see you all again soon.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 7:15 pm   Permalink

I had a great time in Seattle, but I was so sad I couldn't be there with you guys. Thanks for getting that group shot, at least I have a nice family photo now. It makes me feel all squishy inside knowing I've got such a close 'ohana. Glad you had fun, and it was nice to talk to Al & Sabu on the phone (I found my party after giving up and stopping in at a Kinko's!).

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 08:21 am   Permalink

Baxdog and Tiki Bong
If you would like for Tiki Day to further blossom, there are ways.

The two ways to insure people will copy the Tiki Day idea is to build an easy to copy festival model which would make it like Oktoberfest or St. Paddy's in which municiplaities would knock-off the event.

or

Make it profitable, using 501(c)(3) "not for profit status", and fee waivers. This model would be more like Highland Games, which are a boomng business. Some are funded by clubs, others by groups who only exist for the event itself. There is about 1 new Highland Game a year starting now because they are fun and profitable.

I think it would be possible to plan a large party, convince a medium sized town to sponsor it, and get some corporate sponsorship. The key would be careful planning, especially choosing the city, then convincing all parties that they will get what they want out of the event. Towns want positive noteriety, newspapers want cultural diversity, colorful photos, sales and exposure. Alcohol distributors want people associating thier product with fun...

If people are serious about wanting the tiki Day to grow in this manner, it certainly can become it's own discussion topic.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 5:46 pm   Permalink

Bong sets up

There were so many cameras there - where are all the pictures?

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 5:47 pm   Permalink

That Bong shot is from a camera phone. Not bad, eh?

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 01:59 am   Permalink

Sounds like it was a lovely celebration. Wish I would have been there, kids. Sniff.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 1:22 pm   Permalink

Here's some nightvision captures from the Lagoon Room event:

Tent set-up time (in the Haunted Mansion?)

King and Al

Bax dances The Nutsack

The King and Captain Al

tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 11:44 pm   Permalink

Al 'n Shelly, you are the most wonderful hosts and your house is a work of art as well as a labor of love AND the supreme party pad of the Western World! I loved the Swank Tank too...like a little bit of Futura House dropped out of the sky into your Tiki paradise. Thank you SO MUCH for a magnificent ITD!!! and I hope to see you both again soon! XOX tikivixen

p.s. I have no idea why, folks, but those tinted foods had Absolutely No Effect upon me At All. Kinda disappointing...

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2008-08-11 7:37 pm   Permalink

we had an awesome International Tiki Day (Weekend) ~ Thanks to Bong for creating the best holiday, since Christmas.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 7:51 pm   Permalink

It's better than x-mas...no stress at all!! Thanks Bong!!! Ah shit he can't read this.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation