FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What is the most you have spent for one Tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What is the most you have spent for one Tiki?
Tiki-Finland

Posted: 2004-08-16 01:32 am   Permalink

Hi everybody:)
I am new member here and I come from Finland. I am new with Tikis too and I found this site by accident:) I have been reading messages and looking wonderfull pictures in here for couple days and I decided to join with you:)

However, the big guestion is what is most money you have spent for one Tiki? I dont mean the money you spent for making it, I mean the money you spent for buying it:)

View Profile of Tiki-Finland Send a personal message to Tiki-Finland  Goto the website of Tiki-Finland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 04:54 am   Permalink

Well since I am a carver, I don't buy many tikis but the most I have Sold one for was $2500.00 He was a big 13 foot maori warrior

He was made from Honduran Mahogany felled by Hurricane Andrew

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 05:08 am   Permalink

Ben, that sounds like good value for money,whoever bought it. That things HUGE. how long did it take you to carve.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 05:49 am   Permalink

Hei Tiki Finland, good to have a new european tiki fan here.
I think the most I spent was about $150 for some great tiki painting.

By the way, I love Helsinki, one of my favorite city. And I love Finnish litterature, movies, music...
Tervetuloa

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 06:40 am   Permalink

Cheeky, It WAS Hugeand I spent 30 days working on it all the while working on other carvings as well, so its hard to say. I put about 10 coats of Marine eurathane on it and when I saw it 12 years later, It Still looked really good and the finish seemed as good as new, The owner never did any maint on it, just left it hung on a west facing wall.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 07:55 am   Permalink

$500. on my witco dinning room table with three heavy duty rataan swivel chairs. had to cancel my florida vacation that year, but still what a deal! if anyone has the book, hula girls and tiki gods, by chris pfouts, there's a picture of it in there. great witco tiki as the base.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-08-16 08:58 am   Permalink

I sold my soul for an eternal tiki (and I think the seller got ripped off! Go dawg!)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 10:47 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:44 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 7:28 pm   Permalink

Benzart, no price could be worthy of such a mega-tiki!

Like Bong (and I daresay others), I have lost my mind in exchange for tiki.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 09:20 am   Permalink

I paid $600 for a Guanko tiki (BOT page 248, extreme left in picture) and I paid $2000 for a non-tiki Papua New Guinea artifact. It's not a tiki, but a huge male carving, so, does it count?

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 09:58 am   Permalink

of course it counts. its art. does the mona lisa count? it's not made by a machine. it's made by a lifetime of thought, many mistakes, alot of learning, and two busy hands and many hours of hard passionate work.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 10:38 am   Permalink

Oof, easily my first Witco bar! I got it before I knew of Tiki Central. I actually found TC from searching "Witco"

I saw the bar set driving by a retro store in Fullerton, in the window. Everything in this store is expensive, so I didn't even want to ask how much. We hopped out and sat on the stools for a while. I flinched when he told me how much, but then I just did it! I don't treat myself often being such a bargain hunter.

I don't even want to say how much I paid for it, A LOT! But I also know that if I hadn't bought it, I'd still be thinking about it, so I also bought a little piece of mind. I've learned a lot about Witco since then and I think this is one of his very early bars. Someday, Keigs will come down South to visit and tell me more, but from the comparisons to old catalogs it may be a better buy than I thought. It's my favorite of the three I have and came with 3 stools, a large shield, 2 spears, and four masks.

It started my Witco collection so I guess that makes it responsible for even more money spent!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 11:30 am   Permalink

Laney is ther pictures of your bar somewhere, I would love to see it if possible. It sounds wonderful.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 8:48 pm   Permalink

Benzart, that is beautiful! Your carving blows me away more each day. I would appreciate anything you could tell me about that wood, how you cured/prepared it ect...I come across alot of dead Mahogony, but it is very green. How can I use it? How did you prepare that wood? That is one piece!?! Thanks for the picture.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 10:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks Higi,
Yes it's one piece of Honduran mahogany. Hurricane Andrew leveled 4 Honduran Mahog trees in a golf course on sunrise out past the turnpike a block or so. (they have more left) I new the tree trimmers who removed the wood and they got paid for dumping it also. So they brought me 3 dump truck loads of this wood.Yuou can carve it fairly fresh, not like our Fla Mahog which is very different and more beautiful. Anyway I carved it and sanses it down to 220 grit with electric soft pad sanders, and just started coating it with marine urethane. I gave it about 12 coats and thet was the key, It hung on a west facing wall for a few years untilthe guy at ODonnels nursery bought itand 2 more, I saw it therre 2 years ago and it was still beautiful. I guess If you bring me the mahogany I will prep it for you and matbe carve it.. Bring it on up.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation