FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What is the most you have spent for one Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What is the most you have spent for one Tiki?
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 12:41 pm   Permalink

I've just paid $75 for a large 19th Century Polynesian mask, which is a new record for me (but still something of a bargain).

My $30 limit for Tiki mugs still sticks, (though perhaps I should add inflation to that figure as it's been there for a few years). I made one exception for the Gecko mug ($35), as I'd always wanted something by Gecko and the carvings were always far too expensive to send to the UK.

To me, Tiki is still very much connected to thrifting and getting something interesting for just a small amount of money!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 1:12 pm   Permalink

I don't know if it counts, but I spent $200 on my L-shaped bamboo coffee table. I think it's 40s or 50s, with a teak top?? might be mahogany.. anyway, also wins the prize for most spent on furniture ever too...

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 8:44 pm   Permalink

My big tiki spurge were a pair of 7 foot tiki carvings obtained from the recently closed Honolulu Restaurant here in DC.

I won't say exactly how much I paid - but I will reveal that somebody else had already offered to bid $1000 for 4 of the poles, and my bid was higher than that for just two of them.

No regrets at all - I considered it a once a lifetime opportunity, to be able to own something that had been a part of a favored tiki gathering place.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 12:17 am   Permalink

Swanky informed:
Quote:
I paid $600 for a Guanko tiki

You ha-ha-have...I mean you...you actually own a Guanko tiki?!
I am not worthy...but I would like to see a pic; I searched and the pic link in your original post is dead:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2915&forum=1
Since you made that post, have you gotten any idea of where it came from?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 01:26 am   Permalink

The most I ever paid for a Tiki was for Big Daddy Olu, the 9 ft Moai carved from a standing treetrunk in my frontyard. Leroy had to carve on it on weekends. Worth every penny off course.

Also, a Marquesan Tiki bar stool. Not very big, quite simple, but it was from the Tahitian Lanai (!). I bought it from a Waikiki Antique store, AND I had to have it shipped. An unimitable piece of history.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 10:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-19 00:17, tikijackalope wrote:
Swanky informed:
Quote:
I paid $600 for a Guanko tiki

You ha-ha-have...I mean you...you actually own a Guanko tiki?!
I am not worthy...but I would like to see a pic; I searched and the pic link in your original post is dead: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2915&forum=1
Since you made that post, have you gotten any idea of where it came from?

There are two good possibilities, the Mahi Mahi or Blue Hawaii in Nashville. I have not found anything from either establishment. I'll try to fix the pics later.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-20 01:00 am   Permalink

Ikitnrev,
I paid about what you paid for a 5 foot Cook Island version of the god Lono except I had to buy a pair of Tikis. The other one was also 5 foot and is of the Tongan godess Atua Fefina. They are both about twenty five years old and came from the Big Island of Hawaii.

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation