FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Art Now show in S.F.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Art Now show in S.F.
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 09:26 am   Permalink

I'm hopping in the car as we speak and heading up north! see you to night!
I'm bringing a box of my brand new ceramic TIKI MUG! (to début next week on TC)
so if you want to save S/H&tax,
I'll be selling in the back streets and allies today and Sat........

if your not on Otto's List.... get your ass out of bed Sat morning.......
KRON TV (one of the big three in the Bay Area, ie primetime TV)
is shooting live at the Tiki art show on Sat Sept 18
from 7:55 - 10 am
if you want to be on TV come on down by 7:55 am
or relax at home and watch us in our hung over misery trying to look cheery!
We'll have some musical guests and surprises (I hope)

Cyril Lefebvre
http://ukuleleclubdeparis.artistes.universalmusic.fr/

Kitten on the Keys
http://www.suzanneramsey.net/
(an me)

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 3:39 pm   Permalink

I had grand plans for a trip to SF for this show, but work has gotten in the way... I'm bummed about missing everyone and all the art.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 4:10 pm   Permalink

Hx2, you're such a fixture at every tiki event known to man that it just won't be the same without you.

I propose we have a life-size cutout of you made and ship it to the 1 or 2 events you can't make it to. It'd be perfect for photo ops. Or have a few made and we could put them in every room party at the Oasis. It would be funny to see you standing there in the background of every single picture from every event.

Now that I think about it, we should do one of Hanford instead.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 6:09 pm   Permalink

Hehe, that would be sweet. And by sweet, I mean totally awesome.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 10:38 pm   Permalink

Wow! Just got home from the Tiki Art Now! show and boy did I have a good time! I got to meet and have a few drinks with some really great people from Tiki Central, got a great book signed by Otto and even ended up with some awesome Munktiki shotglasses! I wish I could have stayed longer, but my grand old age of 31 caught up with me ( I'm such a big loser! ) I had a great time meeting everyone and look forward to seeing you again!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-18 09:30 am   Permalink

The reception was great- just need a fan in the gallery! Hot!

I'm watching live channel 4 news coverage this morning, and the evil newsanchor Ysabel Duron can't stop laughing at the idea that this stuff is art, and wondering who would want something like this in their home. When they said there was a meet and greet with the artists later, she laughed at the word artist, and then said, "well, if you can carve something I guess that's artistic."

How incredibly rude!

Anyway, here's the newest member of the "I Hate Tiki Wall of Shame":

Don't be fooled by the smile. She's wicked!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-18 12:20 pm   Permalink

KRON4 must be stopped!

They just had a bartender on at the Art Show to show people how to make tropical drinks. I mean this bartender has a published book for god's sake, and he comes out to make a Hurricane and a Mai Tai. To his credit, he was using some superb rums, but the Mai Tai was orange juice, grenadine, pineapple juice, Amaretto, and white and dark rum. ugh!

I mean Frank, C'Al and Otto were tight there: why didn't someone tackle the bartender and stop the madness. I'm sure it was out of their hands.

I love this: the host asks the bartender where he gets his paper umbrellas and he says "Sur La Table." Har! Sure- 20 bucks each.

rant over.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 12:43 pm   Permalink

We saw the show, too, and she was a first-class doofus. When she scowled "Who would want one of those in their home", I knew it was gonna be all uphill. It was the typical dumbed-down morning tv show crap where the "reporter" doesn't understand anything he's saying and talks over everyone who's trying to explain what tiki is all about.

Every segment in the gallery (5 or so over 2 hours), Frank, Crazy Al and KotK were doing background music on ukes and coconuts, which was cool. Otto's segment was leisurely, but he seemed kinda nervous. They showed a lot of the art, which was nice. In all, it was certainly good exposure for the show, which no Bay Area TC-er should miss.

As for the drink mixing demo, well, those looked like nice drinks but that wasn't a mai tai. Cesar is our favorite restaurant and Olivier is a superb owner/bartender/waiter (who is always dressed in excellent vintage aloha wear), and their bar is the best. It's just odd that they picked them to do the drink demo since they aren't really tiki at all. But we've never had a bad drink there, so don't let their "mai tai" recipe scare you away.

Thanks to Otto and Doe for all their hard work putting this show together. The actual art on the walls is sooo much better than the website or catalog can possibly show. And thanks to all the great artists for their fine work.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 12:59 pm   Permalink

Oh my god is Ysabel Duron Pure Evil! How totally stuck up! I'm going to save her picture and customize on Photoshop!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-18 12:59, aquaorama wrote:
Oh my god is Ysabel Duron Pure Evil! How totally stuck up! I'm going to save her picture and customize on Photoshop!

Oh my, let the evilness begin.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 1:18 pm   Permalink

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 2:50 pm   Permalink

Gee, I wonder if Duron would like to go on a hike with us.

(It's just a joke Duron)

The art show was great! Was great to see my friends from TC again!
The location SUCKED! I mean the geography part of S.F., not the Shooting Gaallery

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-10-01 01:21 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 4:10 pm   Permalink

All in all a pretty neat show. It was really cool seeing all the art up close and personal. Pats on the back to everybody who participated and brought this together. All the art was killer. Some of my favorite pieces were "Marcia Tamähine" by Isabel Samaras, The Mug dispenser by Munktiki and Flounders multimedia works "Marquesas Remanent" (Sorry flounder, I did not catch the name of the Moai one.
However, the gallery definately could of used a tropical breeze blowin' through there and it seemed to me that there was a shortage of aloha wear. But, I did get to catch up and talk story with a few of the TC Ohana which is always a pleasure.
Beware of the talking head!

Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-09-18 17:28 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 5:34 pm   Permalink

Now I remember why I hate those pathetic morning shows !
Cheers to Otto for putting on a fabulous show !! The art truly was spectacular.
Big JEERS to KRON for rideculing the art/concept throughout this pathetic show !! Also, why on earth would they choose the barman from a Spanish tapas restaurant, to demonstrate tropical drinks? I felt sick watching him pour everything from grenadine to frangelico in the Mai Tai.
This is what I hate about the media. When they do a story on something, it's usually without any research. If they wanted to include a cocktail demo, all they had to do was search "exotic drinks" on Citysearch, to find a bar that truly makes definitive exotic cocktails...not pull in some clueless bartender,plug his book (which had nothing to do with the segment) and refer to him as "master of the exotic cocktail"

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 11:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-17 22:38, aquaorama wrote:
I wish I could have stayed longer, but my grand old age of 31 caught up with me ( I'm such a big loser! )

I left with this guy because I was also pooped (at 8:30?!), and he was nice enough to give me a ride back to my car. Today I know why I was so tired -- I'm coming down with a cold! My apologies for not staying longer and socializing more.

My fellow art history majors may disagree and think that the pieces in this show constitute "low" art, but I loved it! The Munktiki vending machine was especially clever.

Did anyone get the KRON travesty on tape (and did anyone else spot Henry Tenenbaum at the opening?)

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation