FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 7:12 pm   Permalink

Here are most of the tools I use for my carving. Ofcourse there are some in drawers that you cant see here but this is basically it.

There is another thread about Carvers spaces I'll find and bump up front. This should really be in there.

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua - edited title - 2006-11-28 20:53 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 9:06 pm   Permalink

Wow Ben that stuff is amazing, alot of tools, I can just imagine how much you use all of those. And Congrats in reaching 1000.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 10:11 pm   Permalink

Yikes! some of that stuff looks like things the dentist sticks in my mouth! Maybe you and JT should start a new brand of tiki medicine.
EEK-EEK,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 12:26 am   Permalink

Wow, Benzart, that was fast. Thanks for taking the bait!

(Benzart was responding to a request that I made in Mr. Dale's recent string of his new work:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10313&forum=7&24 . Really nice work by Mr. Dale, by the way)

I'm out of town for a few days, but I'm going to photo up my tools & post them when I get back.

I think everyone will definitely benefit from seeing ACTUAL PHOTOS of the tools that other TC artists are using, and maybe some explanation of what works best at different stages, and why... A picture's worth a thousand words - especially when you are just getting started, limited funds, and making decisions on your own limited carving experience as I, and many other new TC artists, I'm sure, are.

I hope that other experienced carvers here at TC are willing to share their wisdom and experience with respect to tools - both manual and power.

MAHALO IN ADVANCE!!!

Anybody..Anybody..???!!!???

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 05:16 am   Permalink

Quote:
Yikes! some of that stuff looks like things the dentist sticks in my mouth!

Man, you need a new dentist.

Ben, what are the tools with he rounded flat tops in the 1st pic for?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 05:20 am   Permalink

Some are called Knife cutters but are really Finger cutters. They all are for smoothing different shapes and areas unreachable by other tools. I use all these with the FlexShaft machines.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 09:47 am   Permalink

WOW. That's an incredible array of things to keep sharp Ben! I have known many guys who have a whole work bench full of tools and don't know how to use a fourth of them. YOU on the other hand consistently amaze us with your talent in utilizing those carving aids to turn out real artistic treasures. Some day I would love to watch you carving in person. What a treat! PS. Would you autograph a wood chip for me? Your pal, 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 10:06 am   Permalink

Here are the 5 tools I use most, about 99% of the time, I carve small stuff, 2 feet or less and use hardwoods. These are a denny 3/4 inch #3, denny chip knife, denny 1/8 inch #5,two cherry's 2mm #6,henry taylor 1/4 inch #4.

My Tool roll

though alot of these knives don't get much use, every one comes in handy from time to time and I'm always wanting one more knife. My next set will be a micro set down to the 1/2 mm for detail.

[ This Message was edited by: McDougall on 2004-08-17 10:08 ]

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Finland

Posted: 2004-08-17 2:20 pm   Permalink

Hehehehe, I am newbie so I dont have nothing yet. I use only two chisels and two different sizes of hammers:)

View Profile of Tiki-Finland Send a personal message to Tiki-Finland  Goto the website of Tiki-Finland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 2:54 pm   Permalink

You all have me missing seeing all my tools laid out like that!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 5:55 pm   Permalink

Only one way to fix that BK, lay 'em back out!

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 7:40 pm   Permalink

here is a picture of my work place. nothing special. Next SUmmer it will be complettly changed but tell then this is it.

as far as tools, i have a normal straight set of chisels (Millar falls), there are about 8 in the set

the short brown handled ones are just a palm set i got from Lee Valley, they are Henry Talyor brand.

there are small silver tools, almost dentist like tools, which are mini chisels which i got at Lee Valley as well (like $9.00) they aren't great quality and will bend if used on harder woods, or if you use with a hammer.

a standard old box cutting knife with the blades you can break off at cirtain points.

a old rubber mallet, that isn't very rubbery any more, and the head will fall off every once in a while.

a pair of calipper, for the smaller stuff to make sure everything is the same size (or as close as possible)works well especailly when doing a pair of tikis like the cabinet handles.

a vise, a couple of files, sand paper, a chop saw when having to cut off the tikis from the dowl/baseball bat blank

I have a draw knife as well that i use to skin logs and occasionally use while carving, depending on the situation.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 11:14 pm   Permalink

Okay, I just had to take a liberty & post Cheekytiki's "Arbortech" pics from Mr. Dales recent post. This "Chainsaw" grinder disk intigues the hell out of me. It's a little scary, but I think I must own one soon. How many fingers do you really need to carve anyway?....
Quote:

On 2004-08-16 03:01, cheekytiki wrote:
Aaron this is an Arbortech woodcarver and fits on any small angle grinder. Unlike the chain versions it removes wood very quickly by chipping away rather than cutting.

Mr Dale what chainsaw do you use? I have a homelite with a 14" blade but I find it very heavy. I tried out a top handled Stihl with a 9" blade and its fantastic, you can use it one handed, its sooo light. Problem is they're around 500 new and rare as hens teeth on ebay and get snapped up!

Quote:

On 2004-08-16 04:40, Benzart wrote:
Aaron, as you can see the "Arbortech is just a chainsaw type attachment you can put on a grinder instead of a disk. It has the same teeth as a chainsaw and sharpens the same way and removes wood the same way. I have used them and they are great for removing wood plus you can use the grinder as a normal grinder too..

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-08-17 23:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-08-18 13:30 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 1:53 pm   Permalink

I think I found a good source of inexpensive Dremel style carving bits - www.harbourfreight.com. I have this 6 piece set on order for $6.99 ($0.85 each) - compared with $5 - $11 PER BIT when you buy the brand name Dremel bits. Here's a link if anyone's interested: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47412

My first $6 Dremel wood carving bit is already dulling up, and I haven't even got through one tiki yet. Since there's really no way to sharpen these bits, it could get pretty expensive. Hopefully the harborfreight bits will hold up a little better. Even if they don't, the price is right.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Benzart,

That's an amazing array of carving bits. Have you used this supplier? Any other good (and inexpensive) suppliers?

-Pablo Picasso

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 2:16 pm   Permalink

AaronA, We have one of their retail stores here which is New. The tools mostly are cheap crap, but there are some bargains. Some of these burs may be out of round and made from soft steel that dull right up when they get hot. It may be worth a try, but remember you get what you pay for usually. I'm not saying don't buy there, just be cautious and if possibl;e Look before you buy

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation