FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-08 14:58, Paipo wrote:
Could you share some of your shapes and sizes you're using on your current project T-Mec?

95% of the detail work on my latest is with these 5.

Left to Right

90º 6mm V, 90º 4mm V, 45º Bent Palm 1/4" V, 4mm Skew & 8mm Skew

One thing to remember when using a V tool, is to make a few passes with it don't try to bite and dig it all out at once. Even with my small palm 1/4" V, I might make 3-4 cuts to get it to the depth I'm looking for.

Hope this helps.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 2:23 pm   Permalink

Nice tools T-Mec, and you speak the truth about making multiple Passes to get to the intended depth and width. Hiltiki, the 90 deg v parting tools are usally the least popular as most folks want the narrower cut since multiple passes with the 90 degree tool ends up pretty wide and shallow of a cut.

Keep in mind also when going across the grain or in circular cuts that you Need to go in one direction on one side of the cut and the opposite direction on the other side. For those who ask why? One side will be going With the grain on one side and Against the grain on the other so what I usually do is make the cut in 3 passes; one down the center taking the first third and then one cut in each direction to clean the cut and Maybe a 4th cut to get the bottom right.

V-tools, V-Parting tools and V-liner tools all being the same, they are Complicated tools and probably the Worse sharpened tool in your box. If you look, there are 3 separate parts to the chisel; 2 sides made up of actually 2 straight chisels , connected by a regular small gouge. It's that little gouge part that usually fails to get sharpened correctly and so it will usually be found protruding like a beak hence it's called a birds beak in that situation. It must be sharpened just the same as a normal rounded gouge making sure it connects to both Flat sides evenly. Failure to do this will usually result in that "Beak" being broken off and damaging the chisel.
Hope this helps

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-10 10:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Timac and Benz for all the info. I went to Ventura yesterday to the Woodcraft store and bought this tool.

Nice store, the guys working there were real helpful and I noticed they had a woodworking workshop going on when I was there. I am ready to finish my piece I just have to wait for my cast to come off.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 02:39 am   Permalink

Yeay Hiltiki, I'm Glad you were able to find the tool you needed right in your own back yard. Now you have plenty time to get it sharpened and honed before you use it. When does the cast come off your arm?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 8:30 pm   Permalink

Not carving tools but....

I need Carbon Brushes for a JET table saw

mdl # JSL-10ts

1 1/2 hp

4200 rpm

115v

15 amp.

The # on the Brush is 105s.

Having a hard time finding this!!!

I'll try to get the size metric size soon.

Arrrrrrrr!!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 06:25 am   Permalink

greetings Other Ben, Is there a modle/part # on the motor?

Also is this a cabinet saw and is there a part # of the saw itself like a several digit number beginning with a 7? or other #.
Here are some service centers who service the Jet tools who may have the brushes. ( I was too lazy to find your address so I used the 92647 zip code so the miles may be different to you. )

Connelly Machinery Repair
4873 Fir Avenue
Seal Beach, CA 90740 Field Service : Yes 5.36 Miles
MAP
(P) 7149810492
Servicing:

Marine Machine & Mfg.
719 Ohms Way
Costa Mesa, CA 92627 Field Service : Yes 7.08 Miles
MAP
(P) 9496457601

Terry’s Tool Works
1431 E. 28th St.
Signal Hill, CA 90755 Field Service : Yes 9.56 Miles
MAP
(P) (562) 988-9150

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2009-05-27 09:58 ]

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 7:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the help.

I found a place close to OA in Whittier that has

tens of thousands of em.

I'll be there this Fri.

Moohalo TC!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 9:12 pm   Permalink

COOL

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 08:36 am   Permalink

tikimecula, V-tool one of my favorites. Nice Edge on the V-tools. Those things are a bear to keep up. Do you a V-stone to keep them that way?

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-28 11:17 am   Permalink

I'm off to town to buy my first angle grinder today, I've read many of the posts and seems that the makita 4 1/2" is the brand I'll probably get. Is there a certain model that I should look for that maybe is better than another..??
Just carved my first palm log tiki with the chisels but need to be sanded and maybe cut deeper..

If anyone here could posts some digits for me that would be xlnt..

Mahalo's

Scott

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 11:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-28 08:36, Tikilizard wrote:
tikimecula, V-tool one of my favorites. Nice Edge on the V-tools. Those things are a bear to keep up. Do you a V-stone to keep them that way?

I use a Tormek.

Best investment I ever made for my chisels.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-28 12:52 pm   Permalink

Beachbumz, look for one that has the option of mounting the handle left/right/center. I usually leave mine mounted at the top-center and that just works for me on my 7.5a Porter-Cable. A trigger style on/off is nice too.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KoaTiki

Posted: 2009-05-28 2:30 pm   Permalink

Hello all,
As Im new to Tiki Central I have a couple of questions about tools that carvers use like is there a recommended brand of chisels and electric chainsaws that most of the carvers like over others, and when you need Palm log stock to carve where do you mostly go to get it? Tree Services, dumps or wait until you see a palm getting cut down? Any information would be appreciated Thank you..

View Profile of KoaTiki Send a personal message to KoaTiki  Email KoaTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-28 5:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-28 12:52, TikiMango wrote:
Beachbumz, look for one that has the option of mounting the handle left/right/center. I usually leave mine mounted at the top-center and that just works for me on my 7.5a Porter-Cable. A trigger style on/off is nice too.

TikiMAngo, Mahalo's for the info, I ended up getting a Ryobi 6amp with the 3 mounts and swivel handle. Our home depot here does not have many choices and the Makita they did not have..
I've been using it for about two hours now and it works xlnt, once I build up an arsenal of logs I may get a more powerful one down the road..
Thanks again

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 7:56 pm   Permalink

For ALL your DIY tool motor needs...

http://store.eurtonelectric.com/powertools.aspx

Thanks for letting me barge in

and thanks for all your reply's.

If you go there in person, OA is a mile or so away.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation