FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-30 04:15 am   Permalink

Glad you found your brushes Ben.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 09:34 am   Permalink

Yeah, Me too, now maybe you can brush that Hair?

Mooney was looking for a link to this Wecheer Hand held Micro Motor.
Heres a couple links

http://www.chippingaway.com/WoodCarving/WecheerPowerTools/WecheerMicroEngraver.htm

And here for $42.95
http://www.texaswoodcarvers.com/Tool_Catalog/Wecheer.htm

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Lounge Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-05 2:40 pm   Permalink

Well, here's some pictures of what I used ot carve so far.

All packed in:

Unpacked:

Includes:
- 20 oz. Mallet
- 4 Stright chisels
- Starter set of interchangeable Flexcuts
- Pencils
Not pictured:
-Sandpaper

And my way of dealing with tikis that owe me money!
Or a way to keep them moist

[ This Message was edited by: The Lounge Tiki 2009-06-05 14:41 ]

View Profile of The Lounge Tiki Send a personal message to The Lounge Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 08:02 am   Permalink

Love those tools Lounge tiki and Mostly I love how you deal with the debtor tiki, bet it works wonders as well as keeping the guy wet. when you're done just don't let him dry out too fast. Alse where are the photos of him outta the watter?
Thanks.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 07:53 am   Permalink

Was reading the new Woodcarvers Illustrated and saw this article. A great resource explaining the uses of all the different power carving bits. Check out the new issue it also has a great review of the Dremel Multi-Max.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/issue48/Choosing-Power-Carving-Bits.php

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-12 07:53, AlohaStation wrote:
Was reading the new Woodcarvers Illustrated and saw this article. A great resource explaining the uses of all the different power carving bits. Check out the new issue it also has a great review of the Dremel Multi-Max.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/issue48/Choosing-Power-Carving-Bits.php

Good article. Thanks.

I'm liking my Multi Max so far. For detail sanding it's more agile than the B&D Mouse - except that it doesn't have the smaller detail heads like the mouse. Sill, I've found it handier and I bet it's going to last longer too.

The saw attachment has been pretty handy for removing larger chunks of wood and making cuts across the grain. One drawback is the sandpaper is the velcro kind like the Mouse but more expensive. However, I'm betting you can cut other brands of "hook and loop" sandpaper to fit. Incidentally, when did velcro become "hook and loop"?!

The detail sanding head.

Woodcutting head.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-12 08:18 am   Permalink

Sweet!!! Thanks for that link AlohaS. Being a newbie it's great to see what everyone uses as tools. Working on my first little tiki and hope to have pics up soon.... I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh when I also post the pics of what I used to carve him with.... which could explain away why it looks the way it does...lol

View Profile of Tiki Tack Send a personal message to Tiki Tack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 08:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-12 08:18, Tiki Tack wrote:
Sweet!!! Thanks for that link AlohaS. Being a newbie it's great to see what everyone uses as tools. Working on my first little tiki and hope to have pics up soon.... I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh when I also post the pics of what I used to carve him with.... which could explain away why it looks the way it does...lol

Nope, no laughter here. I don't have that many tools myself and only one small gauge.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-12 09:35 am   Permalink

Excellent stuff here, Thanks Aloha for that great link onn the carving burs and devices, Great.
TikiKoa, As for finding carving wood it is something tou get used to doing Everywhere you go , Looking for wood everywhere. Look into local tree surgeons and trimmers, landscape companies, follow the "Asplund" trucks around, look for local carvers and also check the classified ads for smaller companies and individuals who offer thiose services. Soon you will be giving excess wood away. Welcome to TC too!

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha CarvErS.. I want to get a set of carving tools and was wondering about the shape of these... I have a set of three flat style one's like the post above that Lounge Lizard Is using,just looking to upgrade..
The shapes of these are more rounded,good for regular carving????... Thanks for answering my dumb questions...

Mahalo's

[ This Message was edited by: beachbumz 2009-08-21 16:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: beachbumz 2009-08-23 01:28 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-23 09:25 am   Permalink

[quote]
[i]On 2008-03-31 20:16, Benzart wrote:[/i]
The reason I bumped this up was to add these pictures later and Now IS Later.
These are sandingMops and gold stars from
Klingspoors sand paper company, Look for Double Sanding Mops
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/001c/html/Catalog/Vol96PG_77-87.pdf These are expensive but worth 10 Times that when you start using them. They work so great you will wonder why I am sharing this time saving secret with you. Its because I want you to Quit all that hand sanding and get on to More Carving. I Know how it has saved Me tons of time! Besides I love you guys.
I have 5
[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/1584x47f1a813.jpg[/img]
[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/1584x47f1a7e7.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Benzart,

I'm still doing some research while waiting for my carving space to get freed up. ( I'm letting a friend do some non-carving work there )

You suggested something similar to these for sanding on one of my threads.
Do they work well on palm carvings ?

Also , I am curious about the reciprocating power chisels.
Does this tool really work as good as my imagination wants to believe ?
And is it better for detail or can it be used for some medium scale roughing ?

Thanks in advance

[ This Message was edited by: Kino 2009-08-23 09:44 ]

View Profile of Kino Send a personal message to Kino      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 5:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-21 16:57, beachbumz wrote:
Aloha CarvErS.. I want to get a set of carving tools and was wondering about the shape of these... I have a set of three flat style one's like the post above that Lounge Lizard Is using,just looking to upgrade..
The shapes of these are more rounded,good for regular carving????... Thanks for answering my dumb questions...

Beachbumz: yes I think those would be super useful. I have only one gouge and it's really great for finese carving but also for super fast wood removal. Maybe some of the other more veteran guys can comment, but I'd love to have these in my tool collection.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-26 7:09 pm   Permalink

YES, those "Rounded" gouges are made for carving wood and those stes with the highly polished surface are a high quality tool. Many carvers start out with a few flat chisels and eventually get into greater detail and see the need for the true carving tools. YES, Get those if you can.

The Spindle mounted sanding mops. Great stuff...DON'T get the sanding stars for anything but Heavy sanding, little control and too rough. The "Mop's" with all the Fingers are Great!
Enco has them in smaller sizes , shank mounted and less expensive. DON'T get the flaap wheels they are too rough and ruin the surface. Great for metal but Not carving wood.
HERE
is where you can see them in Enco's Awesome catalog, ask for one too.

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-27 12:06 am   Permalink

Mahalo's TheBigT, Benzart, I saw thee on ebay, they were made by TwoCherries? needless to say I was outbid.. I'm going to keep my eye's open though..I'm going to buy a mallet first, my hammer works, but... I was thinking of the rubber type about 22 oz...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 03:58 am   Permalink

I wouldn't kill your shoulders and forearms with a 22oz mallet. An 18oz urethane mallet works pretty good for me, but I think 20oz is the more common.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation