FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
Tools Carvers Use
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-27 11:11 am   Permalink

Two Cherries - Zwei Kirschen brand made in Germany and some of the finest woodworking chisels money can buy.

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 05:08 am   Permalink

I bought the same one and had the Same results... Lots of noise but no sanding. It works better with the power turned OFF! This belongs in the SHAME pile.

Quote:

On 2008-08-05 10:26, JohnnyP wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-05 06:01, blindy the pirate wrote:
Anybody have this?

I bought it because the head is a 2" triangle, thinking it would be good getting into small places. But, I've had no luck with it. In fact, it did nothing to the wood I was working on. Wondering if I got a lemon or if this tool is destined to become a $40.00 paperweight.

We bought this to help with refinishing some cabinets and we had the exact same experience. A whole lot of noise, but not a bit of sanding. I should have taken it back.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 08:13 am   Permalink

I bought the Harbor Frieght version. It has its purposes - but its not something that I would say is required in your tool box. Works fantastic on tile and aggregate!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 7:29 pm   Permalink

I bought the $100 Dremel MultiMax/MultiaMate (whatever the heck it is). What a piece of junk. Must say it sanded well while it worked. The power switch went out once and I shipped it back (paid by me) for repair. It broke again for good about 2 weeks later. Please buy another brand... I see lots of competitors out there now.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-04 7:11 pm   Permalink

I saw some Stanley Goldenberg gouges (made in France) around 7 of them #8 through #25 at an estate sale today. They were asking 12 bucks each but they'll be less tomorrow are these worth getting? And if so which ones? They also had the chisels, will they be necessary or will an old basic set of Stanley's be good enough? Keep in mind I'll just be starting to carve a real beginner. Any thoughts?

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-04 9:01 pm   Permalink

I think I would get all the gouges, even at $12 per.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-05 1:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bill, but by the time I got back today they were all gone, gouges and chisels. So what should I do buy a gouge as needed or a small set of flexicuts? I know this has been talked about before but the info is scattered all over and I don't know if you can use a mallet on flexicuts. Also what I'm thinking of carving are logs.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

I would suggest the Flexcut 4 piece sculptor set, it's what I use the most, other than a Stanley 2" flat chisel. I also have the Flexcut 6 piece starter set, and a few other gouges I bought individually.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-05 8:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bill, I really appreciate your reply. I'll take your advice. Also the log I've got right now I think is cypress, will it be hard to carve? (not a lot of palm in Washington)

aloha, tikicoma

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-06 09:23 am   Permalink

I've never used cypress, but Jeff (pjc5150) loves the stuff. Check with him.

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-08 03:34 am   Permalink

cypress is great when it's still wet. carves like an apple. AND it lasts forever outside.

and I second Bill's chisel advice. the flexy 4 piece sculptor set and a flat stanley carpenter chisel will pretty much get the job done without you spending a mint I have them also. But I've also got about a thousand bucks worth of Pfeils that are my real preference...

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CrazyCapizzi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-08 05:19 am   Permalink

I use the www.arbortech.com TURBO Plane for taking the bark off and its amazing. Better then a chainsaw in my opinion.
I use the flexcut 4pc sculptor set for carving. The chisels feel a little cheezy but for the price, they do what I need them to do.

View Profile of CrazyCapizzi Send a personal message to CrazyCapizzi  Goto the website of CrazyCapizzi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation