[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki need a change of career warning venting
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
need a change of career warning venting
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 5:09 pm   Permalink

I'm finishing up some Superbowl work and the next job, has been delayed for awhile. Thats the one thing about working freelance, sometimes the down time comes unexpected. When I had allot of down time before the next big job I used to go to Imperial beach and park on the street and have lunch there, looking at the waves rolling in. Sometimes I would take my dog and throw a ball around for her in the sand. I'm getting sick of computers. I think I should have been a ship builder. Spending half my life in the ocean. You know I haven't been to the beach since last year's Tiki Beach Fest? And that time I didn't even get in the water. I used to love the beach. When I was a kid I would get in the water and start swimming out until I couldn't see the land anymore. All I could see was ocean all around me. Now I sit in front of a computer all day wishing I cared about what I was doing. I gotta call around tomorrow and line up my next gig. Maybe if I hadn't bought a house and a new car and if I still didn't have student loan payments I could have just moved to the a beach in Hawaii. Worked nights as a bouncer at a bar, and painted beautiful hawaiian girls all day long. I see college kids so desperate to get into the line of work I'm fed up with. Hard work never bothered me, my dad's a landscaper, I was going to work with him since I was a little kid. I can do concrete work, tree service, all that stuff. Once I did a job with my dad where I had to tie a rope around myself and hang off the side of an extremely steep hill, I guess you would call it a cliff, digging holes in the side of it to put these tubes in so that they could cover the whole side of the cliff with cement. This was to prevent landslides during the rainy season and the tubes were so water retained behind the concrete could still filter out. That was hard work. I never even saw the last two movies I worked on, probably won't see the last one either. Wesley Snipes killing vampires, yeah, that's a winner. I love returning to LA after going somewhere cause when I arrive at LAX I can always smell the ocean breeze a little. The ocean breeze lets me know I'm home. Well If I end up with allot of down time I guess that means I get to hang out with my dog more for awhile. Maybe I'll atke her to the beach.

Sorry folks just venting a little. Think I'll go home and do some drinking tonight. Might even light up some of the mean greens, do some drawrings.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 5:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
You know I haven't been to the beach since last year's Tiki Beach Fest? And that time I didn't even get in the water. I used to love the beach. When I was a kid I would get in the water and start swimming out until I couldn't see the land anymore. All I could see was ocean all around me.

I understand your dilemma but keep in mind that at least you have that ocean there nearby instead of being several hundred miles away. Good luck in your job future.
Now I must go watch the corn grow. No ocean for the midwestern tikiphiles.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 6:06 pm   Permalink

When I return to LA, I see the beautiful orange sunsets, feel my throat constrict, and say to myself, smog, it looks and smells like home!

Scheduling relaxing time with your dog is good for both of you. Maybe more trips to the beach will give you insight to a new career?

And a note for those of you landlocked types: most people who grew up near the beaches of California have no idea what just picked sweet corn tastes like, and have never been in a cornfield maze, so they're missing out, too.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 6:31 pm   Permalink

I could use some help landscaping. Sell your house and come on up here. They are cheaper up here and you get a lot for your money. I could give you concrete side jobs, too.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 6:57 pm   Permalink

Hey Fred, Nassco, one of the shipbuilding companies in San Diego, is hiring big time right now. Maybe Shipwreck Joey can hook you up.

I also heard that the LB docks were hiring union dock workers & crane operators right now.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 7:28 pm   Permalink

Don't sell your house. You'll never afford to buy back into California. Just put a tenant in it and take some time for yourself. 6 months to a year in Hawaii would be great. I'm sure Gecko could hook you up somewhere to work.

That will change your attitude and then you can get back to life

Good luck!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 12:44 pm   Permalink

I'm gettin the itch to do something different or at least go somewhere diffferent too... but as was mentioned, I could never afford to buy back into Toronto. Gotta keep paying that mortgage! Could always rent out the place though, but I'd have to find some rich Japanese businessman straight from Tokyo, otherwise people would say... you need HOW MUCH for that one bedroom?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-19 19:28, Moki wrote:
Don't sell your house. You'll never afford to buy back into California. Just put a tenant in it and take some time for yourself. 6 months to a year in Hawaii would be great. I'm sure Gecko could hook you up somewhere to work.

That will change your attitude and then you can get back to life

Good luck!

Contrare, I can now move almost anywhere in the world. This is our second home and when we are ready we will make the decision. We haven't been here a year yet but we've built considerable equity in a short period. In 5 or 10 years we could buy some nice digs in Hawaii if we choose.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-08-20 1:28 pm   Permalink

Well, after 11 years in accounting and finance, I'm calling it quits, returning to school, and embarking on a more pleasurable career.

I am fortunate in that Mdm Bong does well, and the only debt we have is a small house payment and 1 car payment.

It's a bit scary at first, taking the plunge and all. Like Sam said, I'm tossing a job that any accounting/finance grad would kill for. But it sucked.

I honestly believe that the more I got into Hawaiian culture - language, steel guitar, history, etc - the more it helped me realize that one needs to make the most out of the time we spend on the surface of this Earth. What matters is family, friends, and taking time for yourself.

I guess it will be a drag surfing and playing steel everyday for hours on end (oh yeah, and studying!).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 1:58 pm   Permalink

Fred,
Do you what you feel is right for you. Prior to what I do now, I was an Architectural Consultant for 13 years. I love it but as the industry changed, I got burned out and needed a change so I quit and went back to school full time (for a 2nd degree) so I could switch careers.

Bong's right -- life is too short to spend most of your days doing something you don't enjoy. Take a leap of faith -- you'll probably thank yourself in the longrun.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 3:38 pm   Permalink

I hate my job too. I am in business management. I have been a facility manager for a storage company for 2 years and before that I was in management at Domino's Pizza for 10yrs. I would like to do something I enjoy for a living, but I have yet to find someone that will pay me for laying around Ft Lauderdale beach doing bong hits, and drinking mucho cervezas. To be honest, I live about 15 miles west of the beach, and I maybe go 2-3 times a year. But seriously, life is too short to live your life hating what you do. I am in the process of trying to find a new job in Northern Florida along with a place for the wahine and I to live. The cost of living here in South Florida has almost caught up with you guys in California. Everyone wants to live here, and property values are increasing by 30% each year.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 4:28 pm   Permalink

After umpteen years of working in a pressure cooker & holding out for stock options to come due, one glorious day I finally turned in my resignation letter and never looked back.

I planned my escape by riding a bike to work for a year so I could buy a used car for cash instead of making payments. Six years of vacations in tents instead of hotels, etc.

This week I started a new job in a field I should have been in from the start. I'd rather pinch pennies than do work that doesn't make me happy.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 5:47 pm   Permalink

Wow, I'm impressed by anyone with the balls to chuck the steady paycheck in favor of going back to school. But I'm terrified of getting back into more debt to pay for school to learn a new career. I know it should pay off in the end, but there's always that "what if" in the back of my mind.

I've been looking into other thiings I'd rather be doing as (like S. Sam) I'm increasingly feeling empty about my work too. I want to find something that has more meaning for me. And maybe even help people in the process.

I gotta start doing some research. That's about as much as I've figured out right now.

And congratulations to Bong and kctiki for just going for it.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 7:10 pm   Permalink

Reading this all I can relate so much, wish I could do a capsule of where I am at right now, my dream job awaits, Bar manager of a tiki bar, and I still am hoping it can happen so I can move my family to Cali and be close to a real beach, which I have not seen since leaving Hawaii in 93. But right now I would even be stoked to take the landscaping job with Jungle Trader if it meant I could move to Cali.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-08-20 10:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-20 19:10, Tiki-Toa wrote:
Reading this all I can relate so much, wish I could do a capsule of where I am at right now, my dream job awaits, Bar manager of a tiki bar, and I still am hoping it can happen so I can move my family to Cali and be close to a real beach, which I have not seen since leaving Hawaii in 93. But right now I would even be stoked to take the landscaping job with Jungle Trader if it meant I could move to Cali.

T-Toa,

Me tinks you should go for it. Otherwise, there'll always be the 'what if' that you won't be able to answer.

Think about it this way, if you did move to Cali, and if your plans did fail, could you return to where you are now? If so, do it.

And if you make your plans work, you're where you want to be.

I remember a lyric from a song I can't quite recall that was "home isn't where you are, but where you belong...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation