FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki need a change of career warning venting
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
need a change of career warning venting
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 09:34 am   Permalink

JT...there is a Chongo amongst us...not Chongolio...CHONGO. Check his posts and make your own opinion, as for me, I find no use for his kind on TC (meaning Chongo...not Chongolio)

Course it could be that Chongolio is just pulling a fast one on all of us!

Don't be a mommy's moai!

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 09:48 am   Permalink

OHHHHH! Chongo is in the Great Northwest and our beloved Chongolio is in Calif.

My bad.

The name calling is not worthy of TC.

Aloha!!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 10:19 am   Permalink

JT!
You crack me up dude.
You remind me of Saturday Night Live's Emily Litella.
"Oh that's entirely different. NEVER MIND"

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 10:35 am   Permalink

Thank you Unga...awhile back I had posted to the thread acknowledging the passing of the creator of Pop Rocks.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10279&forum=6&vpost=106595

In it, I had mistakenly confused Guilda's character Roseanne Roseanna Danna with this priceless character, Emily Litella.

So, to all on TC, I stand corrected!

Never mind.

Don't be a mommy's moai!

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-08-22 11:13 am   Permalink

s_sam:

Sorry to hear that you're burned out. I feel the same way. After my last company went belly-up, I resolved to to find a new line of work that was more challenging and creative. I know there's interesting people out there doing interesting things- I just haven't worked with them yet! So the quest continues. My only highly unsolicited advice is this: I know you're burned, but you are (at least from my perspective) very fortunate to make a living in a creative field. People like me stuck in the "uncreative arts" (transportation logistics! feel the excitement!) would love to have an opportunity to do something more interesting. I just want to warn you that should you get into banking or something, you may find that you really miss being creative.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 6:22 pm   Permalink

Hey Sam!

I too feel for you. I formerly made my living in a line of work that everyone would think was wonderful, a dream, creative, glamorous, blah blah. Yes, I was a (not-teenage) rock (not-very-big-at-all) star. I won't go into any whining, but suffice it to say I was eventually hating my life on the road and wanted out.

Best thing I ever did.

Now, I was lucky. 1.) I didn't have a mortgage, dependents, or any debt and 2.) I had a side gig (grading essays for the Georgia state writing test) that I could slide into and make a fulltime job, so it's not like I took a huge leap (like you Bong) or took on enormous debt with further education. But I lost that fulltime job (state cutbacks in education) and went back to substitute teaching fulltime. And then it hit me; I was meant to teach.

Terrified, I accepted a real teaching position that opened up mid-year. But it was so obviously meant to be (again, I was lucky that it was so clear). After that semester, THEN I took the big plunge of getting more education. I'd been warned; it would be hell for those two years of working fulltime while attending school fulltime (nights), and it was. But it meant a payraise - yay!

And now I LOVE what I do, and I get paid (with consistent paychecks) to do it. And I can take it with me anywhere (everybody needs high school Spanish teachers), especially thanks to getting the masters (even though you and I and everyone knows that Ed Masters are stupid degrees!).

Moral: Do whatcha gotta do! If you hate your job (or hate what it keeps you from), life is too short to stay there. Sometimes really short. I don't think anyone on his deathbed reflects on his past and regrets having done what he loved and taking big risks to do it, even if sometimes they failed. (I'll say the only exception is if a HUGE, stupid risk failed to the point of putting their wife and kids out on the street. But does anyone blow it that big? Nope. So relax!)

Good luck with your mental inventory, Hon!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 11:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-22 18:22, Formikahini wrote:
(I'll say the only exception is if a HUGE, stupid risk failed to the point of putting their wife and kids out on the street. But does anyone blow it that big?

You've never met my dad. (But that's a whole other story.) I want to stay positive here, but just letting you know that there are such people. While we still managed to keep a roof over our heads (albeit some very leaky ones), there were some VERY close calls. And it's really no fun growing up in constant fear of becoming homeless. Thank goodness that no one here on TC sounds nearly as irresponsible.

(Oh, and if you're curious for an example, how about putting a chinchilla farm before your house payments. That's right, I said chinchilla farm. No joke!)

BTW, Formica I did like your success story too. Especially that you went from being a "rock star" to being a teacher. (Usually, the cliche is the other way around.) But I admire anyone that seeks to spend their daily lives in improving the next generation. I count myself as very fortunate that I had some fantastic teachers in my education that ended up making a huge difference in my life.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 01:07 am   Permalink

Formikahini
Sounds to me like your still a Star!

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 08:23 am   Permalink

Thanks Tiki Rider

Vintage Girl, I was having these visions of "Slums of Beverly Hills" when I was writing that, and yes, I should have said, "But how often does that happen?" instead. 'Cuz, yep, it does happen. I'm glad to hear you made it out of that childhood nightmare with your wonderfulness intact. (I can't picture you with the bra on underneath the halter top, though, the way the central character wears hers at the film's beginning. A major fashion faux-pas is hard to picture on you!)

So the trick is, Sam - Stay Awake From The Chinchilla Farms!! Don't bet the farm (or in that case, ON the farm). Seriously, you'll do fine as long as you're not putting the health and safety of others at risk (and I think you're a solo guy, no? Or are there little Sam's running about?). You have skills on which you can always fall back, too, even if a venture out of your safety zone doesn't prove wildly successful.

And hey, if there are dependents in your life, consider that there are those of us out there who'd gladly trade places with those of you with families. Grass is always greener, right?

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2004-08-23 16:04 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 1:23 pm   Permalink

CHONGO does not = Chongolio!

Hey Sam, You gotta know that is not me talkin' jive. Good luck with career choices/changes.Do what you love and the rest is suppose to work out.

Jungle Trader, You crazy mutha. I'll see you at the bike racks after school.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-23 08:23, Formikahini wrote:
Grass is always greener, right?

My point exactly. No matter what our individual circumstances are, no one else is in our shoes but us. And different things make different people happy. Another person might see one person's job as a dream, but only they know what it's like for their own perception each day. In other words, don't judge another until you've walked a mile in their shoes, as the old adage goes.

And Formika, thankfully it was my mom that mostly raised me so I don't think she would've let me out of the hosue with my bra strap in such a fashion (yes, I've seen the movie too, hilarious in a somewhat painful way.) Instead I would wear a too-small-for-me 60s miniskirt (from the Goodwill) with a leotard and knee-high socks to school in 1979. (No I wasn't a punk rocker (too young) and yes, my mom did warn me on that ensemble choice.)

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 5:54 pm   Permalink

Chongolio, I thought everybody was all over your ass.
That Chongo cat....dude, come down here and I'll sock you right in the chops.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-08-23 17:56 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 6:09 pm   Permalink

Suicide_Sam, I think I know exactly how you feel. I could have written your post, just different coasts. Wish I had the answers.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 6:35 pm   Permalink

I think for many people, including me, hoping for a career that will provide meaning to life just sets you up for disappointment. Even though I'm pretty happy with my work and it's even meaningful sometimes, I think the other parts of life outside the job are really what it's all about. But that's why it's even more important to maintain a balance and not do work that eats into your personal life. With a balance, work is just work.

For those who are fortunate enough to get fulfillment both in and out of work, it's a true blessing. But one of two ain't bad!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 12:29 am   Permalink

Hey Suicide_Sam
There is an old saying that "young men think about women they have made love with, and old men think about the one's they didn't".

I belive when considering life changing choices, it's best to think not only of how it may end up in 20 years...but if you will go to your grave unhappy wondering "what if"

I have found myself feeling similar to what I think you are feeling at several times in my megre life. I think if one never did, they would be a fool.

What I found as a usefull tool for me is a visit to a very strange place alone. Especially a 3rd world country.

The lack of things familiar, makes familiar things somehow clearer....and in time my roll in them, or not in them becomes more defined to me.

Best of all, you can be wrong a bunch of times, and you learn as you go.

Hope that helps.

[ This Message was edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-08-24 00:32 ]

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation