FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Lounge Music
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Lounge Music
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-10 11:27 am   Permalink

This is for others into lounge music beyond the trinity of Baxter, Denny and Lyman.
I just picked up twenty nearly mint- condition albums by the Jackie Gleason Orchestra at a local thrift shop. They probably came from a donated collection, since they were all neatly grouped together. Paid $1 each. For those not familar, Gleason delivered very lush sounds; more emotive, I think, than other artists of that era. And, his album cover art featuring wistful and/or alluring dames dressed to the nines, is tremendous. Anyone know if there is a tribute site to the Great One's music?
Thanks.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 07:06 am   Permalink

I agree that there are many other artists out there who produced some pretty good sounds.

I still like those traditional Polynesian sounds, like those found in the Hawaii Calls series. And the Lawrence Welk "Sounds of the Islands" - very good record...I've mentioned that before.

But once you fish through Mitch Miller, Al Hurt, and all of those other people I have NO IDEA who they are, you are just too exhausted to take notice at anything that is NOT the TRIO.

I spent 3+ hours looking at thousands - no exaguration - THOUSANDS of records. I found NO Denny, NO Lyman...one Baxter (Not really exotica) and I think I only walked outta there with 5 records. (All Hawaiian stuff and the Baxter).

I guess when I think of lounge music for a tiki bar, I think of Kahiki and they always had that soothing steel guitar type stuff playing softly.

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theandrewssister
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-13 09:13 am   Permalink

couple of decent Gleason tribute sites:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/1568/JackieGleason.html

http://members.home.nl/freddie/gleason1.html

http://members.home.nl/freddie/gleason1.html

On the subject of lounge music for a Tiki bar, one thing I NEVER thought of until TikiChris very kindly gave the the CD was Mantovani (sorry to out you here, Chris) -- but my GOD it works. The lush strings of "Perfidia" fit soooo well. But, then again, so do so many things -- your standard Vegas lounge will always work (esp. the glorious Wayne Newton), Elvis in his more moody moments, Esquivel, the absolute DADDY for this sort of thing (and I mean more your "Nature Boy" and Besame Mucho, rather than the comedy stuff) -- and what about Eartha Kitt? Her "Lilac Wine" in particular -- but a bunch of her stuff. I shouldn't even need to mention Don Tiki. Oh yeah, Felix Mendelssohn...

[ This Message was edited by: theandrewssister on 2002-09-13 09:18 ]

View Profile of theandrewssister Send a personal message to theandrewssister  Email theandrewssister     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 09:58 am   Permalink

There are really 3 styles of music that fit the true tiki bar theme: Exotica, Hawaiian and Polynesian.

In terms of Exotica, which is "South Seas Lounge" there really are only 3 guys who do that stuff. Some of their music became standards like "Yellow Bird" and others did their versions, but no one else is in the genre.

Hawaiian music is characterized by the steel guitar and a typically slow beat.

Polynesian music is more drum heavy and much faster tempo and more "tribal" sound.

But, there are lounge versions of Hawaiian music by the score. Which isn't exactly Exotica. Or is it? It gets tricky.

I've said it before, any lounge is fine in the tiki bar. That's the music of that time, so it fits to me. But, I also tend to think the real experience has to have one of the 3 genres above, or the pseudo-sub-genre of Hawaiian or Polynesian Lounge music.

Gleason is Mr. Romance. I am not a big fan because he isn't that interesting or dynamic, but his LP covers are tops. His music is like 101 Strings or Melanchrino Strings, bland, sappy. I like my lounge with a kick. But, of course, I have it all. I have just added Gleason to my broadcast this week.
Here's a peak at the new front page of the Swank Pad I am working on, a la Gleason. The buttons are not finalized yet...

[plug] All the above is ready to be heard on my broadcast or on the Swank Vinyl Exotica CD. Click below for either. ; ) /plug]

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2002-09-13 10:01 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 2:06 pm   Permalink

Many apologies if I inadvertently implied that Gleason was an acceptable muscial alternative in a tiki bar. For me, it should be exotica in a Polynesian pub, unless there are real live hula girls on stage (then it's Hawaiian, Tahitian, Maori and such).
Since the name of this forum is Beyond Tiki, I thought it would be cool to post on some other music I like, and read about some stuff other people are into.
I can see how it is easy to lump Gleason in with 101 Strings, Living Strings, etc., but I think the other guys should be viewed as ripping off his approach and debasing it, because Gleason did his first album around 1952 and stayed consistent for almost 20 years.
But regardless of who came first, I think there is a qualitative difference to his music; especially when it comes to setting a mood and keeping it.
His arrangements are always restrained and never over the top. He doesn't start out soft and then make you jump up and adjust the Hi-Fi. He never gets a mellow vibe going and then burts in with 76 trombones, the way Lyman and Denny do on some of their albums(which I find annoying).
Also, Gleason's stuff is different to me because it doesn't seem artificial. The other orchestra's from the 50's and 60's seem to have been recorded for the nuclear family on the cul-de-sac.
Gleason was recording for the bachelor pad. His music lingers in the air like smoke from an abandonded cigarette. It stings the eyes a little, but it makes the room a much more interesting place.
But then again, some people don't like smokers.
Aloha for now. I think it's time for a Martini.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-09-13 14:06 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-16 07:21 am   Permalink

I do agree there. Gleason is not 101 Strings. The later is like music with all the edges sanded off to a silky, nauseating smoothness. Gleason is made smooth, which is different. I don't want to just lump them together so heedlessly.

The song I just added to the broadcast is a good example. "My Ideal" is a very slow, gentle song, but the trumpet solo in there is as heartfelt and raw as anything.

Kiliki has been coming home and putting on Gleason records. I am giving him a good second listen and appreciating him more. And I am figuring out ways to rip off his album covers and pervert them for my plans!

When I listen to his music, I can't help but think about how he liked to booze it up then and the band's tours were such parties.

On the extreme other end of the spectrum is my favorite, not-so-well-known band director, Henri Rene. Any time you see his LPs for under $3, get 'em. He has some slow schmaltz, but his swingin' stuff is the best.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-24 06:48 am   Permalink

Has anyone heard 'Pagan Muzak' by Boyd Rice (Non)? He did an intro for "Taboo-The Art of Tiki" and seems quite a rum chap.

He says of the record,
"The name is both a description of the record's contents and a homage to Hawaii-based exotica pioneer Martin Denny, composer of environmental mood music that embraced such seemingly irreconcilable components as easy listening, unusual instruments, natural sounds and dissonance. Along with Les Baxter and Arthur Lyman, Denny became a hero to the so called Lounge/Space Age Batchelor Pad movement of the early 90s. "I was influenced by Martin Denny," Boyd confirms. "He was doing this stuff that was like muzak but it had these heathen overtones. I liked the idea of paganism and I thought it was like pagan muzak, because it was music to change your environment, fill it up with noise, fill your brain with noise, and I thought that was really a pagan concept. It's weird, I was just asked to be in this New Zealand book about Tiki culture, and I wanted to write this whole thing about making a pilgrimage to see Martin Denny in 1980. I grew up among this. When I was a kid you could buy a Hawaiian shirt, which came with this tiki, which had gems for eyes and stuff, and my make-out spot in San Diego used to be this club called Bali Hai, which had a beach behind it, and the house band was Arthur Lyman, and I would be making out with girls, while Arthur Lyman was playing behind me. I grew up with this stuff, so it is a little weird to see all these people getting into this stuff years after they'd torn all these places down. But I am glad they are, because I always thought everybody in the world should know about Martin Denny and Les Baxter, and I am glad that they lived long enough to see this resurgence of interest in their music."

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 12:54 pm   Permalink

I am a huge fan of Gleason. Have you ever seen the album cover Dali designed for him? Jackie Gleason commissioned it himself. He was a huge fan of Dali.

If you've never heard his arrangement of But Not For Me you're missing something in life. It will make you weep!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-10-09 12:54 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 1:12 pm   Permalink

I know the Dali album art, but wasn't lucky enough to find that one. Since starting this post I have listened to all but one of the albums I purchased. I guess I'm saving the best album cover for last. It has a smokey blue cover with what appears to be two blonde girls kissing each other(Or maybe it's a blonde girl with long hair and eyelashes kissing a blonde guy with long hair and eyelashes?)
Anyway, one of the most interesting albums was one called The Torch with the Blue Flame. It features the vibraphone and sounds a little Lyman-esque. I recommend it.

tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 8:50 pm   Permalink

Geoff,

I'd be glad to put the Dali album on cd for you and send it to you. Hopefully you have "Music to Remember Her" album with each song dedicated to some blonde, brunette, or red head with name like: Cherry, Sue, Tangerine, Charmaine. I'll put them both on a cd for ya!!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-10-09 20:52 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 9:26 pm   Permalink

We have a few Gleason Albums - my favorite title is "Music to get her in the Mood" with a misty eyed maiden on the cover. Also have quite a few 101 Strings albums, but yes they are rather syrupy. Les Baxter is my favorite thing to find all round - whether or not it is a 'polynesian' theme album. And any Esquivel, master of exotica, is A#1 in my book.

But no one has mentioned the masterful Henry Mancini, or the Warm and Wonderful Bert Kaempfert. I also have all the crooners on my shelf of lounge music: sinatra, sammy, ella, jack jones, etc.

I am trying to track down early albums by film and tv composer, Frank Devol, but haven't had luck yet. I am on the $1 an album plan myself. Anybody have any Music by Devol?

Shameless self-promotion: On my site, Lotta Living, I have posted Madly Cocktail Disc Jockey, Kat Griffin's recommendations for 10 CD's to start off your record collection for your Modern lounge pad:

http://www.lottaliving.com/listening.shtml

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 05:45 am   Permalink

In my searches, I have found very little of the holy trinity (Denny, Baxter, Lyman) but LOTs of the following albums. I don't know what people say when the say Elvis or the beatles sold the most records - it HAD to have been Herb ALpert!

TOP THRIFT STORE RECORD BIN INHABITANTS:
1. Herb ALpert & THe TIjuana Brass - Whipped Cream & Other Delights
2. Sing ALong With Mitch
3. The JAne Fonda Workout
4. Mrs. Miller
5. Dan Hill

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 07:51 am   Permalink

The top ones I always see are, in no order:
West Side Story
Herb Alpert
Melachrino Strings
101 Strings
Various Broadway Musical compilations

Well, those are the older ones I always see.

I scored the Good, The Bad and The Ugly LP once for a dollar or two.

Mancini is great. What's not know about the Breakfast at Tiffany's LP is that he went back into the studio and rearranged all those tunes for the album. They are NOT the soundtrack songs. You won't find that word on the record. He wanted to make them more listenable, and did.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 11:26 am   Permalink

Oh yes, I forgot...

-South Pacific
-Brigadoon
-Corey Hart
-The Canadian Brass
-Bagpipe Music

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 11:42 am   Permalink

I wholeheartedly agree with picks #1 & #2 for the top 10, but #3 fo4r me seems to be Ferrante & Teicher.
Of course never the one with cool spaceman cover....but I'm still lookin!
I did finally get a decent copy of Martin Denny's Exotica yesterday @ the thrift. It was 50 cents, but the gal gave it to me because she didnt want to break a $10 bill.
Joy!
BTW Jane: Corey Hart? EEEyeeew!!
But bagpipe music? My buddy Alex has played the pipes for years & even plays it in his vehicle when I drive anywhere with him!
Bugs the shit out of me!
I love the bagpipes 'live' & he usually plays at my parties, but listening to prerecorded bagpipe music really blows!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-10 11:50 ]

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation