FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Lounge Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Lounge Music
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-10-10 11:49 am   Permalink

One of the most listenable Jackie Gleason records is "Riff Jazz" (great cover too). The lush string ones, though they have great covers, are sometimes a bit too syrupy.

The best 101 strings records are from the late 60s and into the 70s. The erotic one (the name escapes me) is amazing - it has moaning women throughout!

For dinner music (and make-out music!) I like George Shearing's albums "Velvet Carpet", "Black Velvet", Black Satin", "White Satin", etc. They're now on CD but I haven't had much trouble finding the records at flea markets, thrift stores, and garage sales.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 11:55 am   Permalink

I think my favorite latest album score is a Nina Simone album from the early 70's with covers of "Here comes the sun", "O-O-H Child" & "Mr Bojangles"
Chilling stuff!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-10 11:56 ]

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 1:53 pm   Permalink

Herb Alpert is numero uno in Florida thrift bins as well, with Mitch Miller a close second & agreed the Mancini soundtrack for Peter Gunn is tremendous, but I haven't heard much else by him and need to do so. Thanks for the CD offer of the Dali album, but I'll not trouble you now since I hope to stumble across the lp. Gleason shows up fairly frequently down here (must be our proximity to Miami). The suggestion to check out George Shearing is great. I was just looking at his stuff in the local Borders book store two weeks ago. I remember hearing a wonderful album he did with Peggy Lee called The Beauty & the Beat. I'm still loking for that one. Some of Peggy Lee's solo stuff is good too. I just picked up an album of hers called "While a Cigarette was Burning". It's pretty gutsy for a white girl.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-10 13:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-10 13:57 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-10-10 2:13 pm   Permalink

Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?" is one of the strangest, and best, songs she ever did. The whole album is great.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 2:38 pm   Permalink

I just found "Ole Ala Lee" for $1 at an antique store. I have not heard one of these songs before and they are great. Some lyrics that are slightly racey. I added it to my broadcast immediately. And she's easy on the eyes too.

I still don't understand how she got Mexicans to calm down about Manana.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-10 7:17 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Corey Hart... he blew chunks!
A lot of 80's stuff is hitting the thrift bins right now. And staying there, ahah!

I see an awful lot of Howard Jones too, come to think of it.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 12:26 am   Permalink

Inspired by this thread, I hit my local Sal's (Salvation Army) and Goodwill and bought a new bunch of records tonight. The big score was Van de Kamp's presents Les Baxter "Music of the Sixties" featuring a cover of Quiet Village of course! And I'm listening to my new Bert Kaempfert "Blue Midnight" album. Also picked up a couple of good Gleasons, The Latin Sound of Mancini, a 3 Hawaiiana discs, Sonny and Cher Live in Vegas! and more...

I am also into those kooky ones like "A Record of Quality brought to you by your Sanitone Drycleaner" This is a Columbia Records compilation... The cover just kills me - this guy standing in a grey flannel suit next to a chess board. What this has to do with Rosemary Clooney singing "Tenderly" I never guess?

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 01:30 am   Permalink

Personally, even though some of these smoooooth albums "are/have been/will be" released on CD, nothing gives me that cool feeling when I find them on vinyl. Seeing those cover pictures really does it for me...oh, and then sliding out that record and finding that the vinyl is unscratched! I can live with "Martini Scratches" (you know, the unsteady hand that removed the needle after a couple of good Martinis).

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 03:49 am   Permalink

yah, i'm with you on that sugarcaddydaddy. there is nothing in the world like analog sound. please we have those cool record album frames from Restoration Hardware and we rotate our display of records in them each season! This time of year it's fall colors and stuff like "Music to Study by"

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 05:33 am   Permalink

Those "Adventures in Stereo" and the like can have some great extras like Ken Nordine giving examples of stereo and non-stereo. As long as they are cheap, I get them. You never know.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 05:37 am   Permalink

Oh, I do the 'theme' rotation in my restoration hardware frames too. Past themes have been:

-Vixens petting animals
-Women with martini glasses
-Percussive anything
-Women peeking from behind foliage
-Pastel colours
-Things with 'Polynesian' in the title

I love thinking up new perameters for the four frames. It helps to have a lot of crappy old records to choose from too.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

I can live with "Martini Scratches" (you know, the unsteady hand that removed the needle after a couple of good Martinis).

Martini scratches: Thanks for the great phrasing, SugarCaddyDaddy. Just thinking about the term makes the albums sound better, and provides a cool rationale when someone obnoxiously asks why you want to listen to old records.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-11 07:17 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 12:52 pm   Permalink

Hey, just saw a preview last night of a made for TV movie about Jackie Gleason to be shown on Sunday Oct. 13th! I think it was on CBS? Looked good actually.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2002-10-11 12:53 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-10-11 1:24 pm   Permalink

I read Jackie Gleason's biography and it was fascinating. Did you know he never rehearsed the Jackie Gleason Show ("The Honeymooners")? He just knew what the general story was going to be and ad libbed his lines!

vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 1:37 pm   Permalink

Swanky, I have one of those "Adventures In Stereo" albums. I have one of it's nutty intros on my answering machine.

And on another note, Enoch Light kicks ass!

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation