FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Lounge Music
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Lounge Music
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 8:31 pm   Permalink

http://www.deuceofclubs.com/whip_it.htm

Speaking of Herb ALpert, here's the Whipped Cream and Other Delights Art Car!

Unfortunately even though this website is muy extensive, I cant find a very good pic of the car itself...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-13 07:33 am   Permalink

A Correction: My post about Peggy Lee should have said the album title was "You Go to My Head". The first cut on the album is "While a Cigarette was Burning." Also, I scored a Hawaiian lp on silver seal records yesterday that had an sleeve from Capitol Records. The sleeve had pictures of Gleason and Shearing's early albums on it, and I couldn't help noticing how similar the art and photogaphy were on both. I'm going to try and catch the Gleason movie tonight, although I'm flying to Chicago this evening and may end up missing the first part of it.
The write-up in the paper didn't say anything about Gleason's music or the fact that he was obsessed with the paranormal. I hope they include those elements because I find the public/comic side of his personality the least interesting part of his life.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-14 06:59 am   Permalink

The Gleason TV movie was a disappointment. It was very heavy handed. It just tried to roll the whole thing into a "my old man was a louse and that's why I am who I am" psycho-pop crap. They played about 4 bars of his theme and one of his songs at the very, very end of the show. All in all it made him look pretty miserable. Only a mention of the music.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-14 11:39 pm   Permalink

Yeah Swanky, I agree. I'm not sure it is possible for people today to get their heads around someone like Gleason. He's pretty incorrect. Can you imagine a Lifetime movie glorifying the bachelor lifestyle of the 50's and 60's. Nope..., me either.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:09 pm   Permalink

I did the vinyl hunt at the weekend, and it looks like the entire vinyl output of the 80's has de-camped to the charity shops of the UK in the past month or so. You can't move for A-Ha, Spandau Ballet & Thompson Twins LP's.

Still, I managed to pick out some interesting chunks of vinyl.
Two albums by Kana Kapiolani & his Hawaiians
I'm never too sure if some of these 'Hawaiian' bands belong to that surprisingly popular, (in the early 70's at least) genres....the British fake Hawaiian band.

Another album is 'International Cocktail', with an inspired cover - bottles of gin, whiskey, vodka and martini! The music sounds like it was created by a bunch of drunks just getting into their 4th straight double.

'Island Magic' by the Kon-Tikis

And best of all, Val Merrall's Big Sound at Butlins. One I'd seen at ridiculous cost, but this time at 75 cents. It's the cover that's of interest, as it has two small photos of the Butlins Beachcomber on it. One reveals a large moai, while the other has definitive proof that Butlins ripped off Mr Bali Hai, as there's a huge (15 ft?) statue of Mr Bali Hai minus his nose-bones on it.

I must admit to being slightly thankful that the centre hole was to small to allow me to actually listen to the album!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-10-16 5:48 pm   Permalink

"I must admit to being slightly thankful that the centre hole was to
small to allow me to actually listen to the album!

Trader Woody"
It is easy to enlarge the center hole of a record. How I do it is I take an Exacto knife with a triangle shaped blade and scratch the plastic outa little around the hole and then flip over the record and do the other side. Usually just a little will do it.
(An Exacto knife is a sharp knife often used for crafts or for cutting photo/art mat boards in case Exacto knives aren't sold overseas)
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-23 2:21 pm   Permalink

MrSmiley,

Thanks for the tip. It's surprising how little vinyl you actually have to gouge out of the centre hole to get it to fit properly. (I think I gouged a little too much....Ernies LP now has a bit of a wobble to it.)

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-10-23 6:05 pm   Permalink

"MrSmiley,

Thanks for the tip. It's surprising how little vinyl you actually have
to gouge out of the centre hole to get it to fit properly. (I think I
gouged a little too much....Ernies LP now has a bit of a wobble to it.)

Trader Woody"

---Are you sure it is not just Ernie's singing??

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 1:06 pm   Permalink

I'm on a new quest in lp collecting. I'm looking for 50's/ early 60's albums with cover art of dames listening to their Hi-Fi's. I've found three that I'll try to post photos of this week.
One is called "Miss You" recorded on some cheapo label. Unfortunately, the wrong album was inside. Fortunately, the cover features this buxom babe listening to a jumbo-size tube set. It's irresistible.
Another is a Montovani album of Waltz tunes. This one has a damsel in a white negligee lounging next to Mr. RCA Victor.
The last one's cover doesn't feature a well-built sound cabinet, but it does show a funky little phonograph, some mod furniture and a girl reaching for a Sinatra record held just out of reach by her boyfriend. The title is something like "America's 12 Biggest Hits".
Any of you exoticats know about others I should be on the lookout for? I want to find three more to hang on the wall near my '62 Grundig stereo.
Also, anyone know of a place to get cheapo frames to display these in? I've seen some frames on the Internet for $15 - $30 each. Heck, I don't want to spend 1000 times more on the frames than I did on the records.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-04 13:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-05 16:44 ]

Frenchy Polynesia
Deleted

Posted: 2003-08-04 1:46 pm   Permalink

You should definitely try Urban Outfitters for frames - they have really nice metal ones for $15.

And, if you ever make it to Portland again - there was a big record store on Hawthorne that has a whole bin full of 'model/cheesecake' covers!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 2:40 pm   Permalink

Frenchy,
I remember you had some framed album covers when you invited me up to your swingin' bachelorette pad* in Portland, but couldn't remember where you said you got 'em from. I don't know if we have an Urban Outfitters in the middle of the Magic Kingdom, but will check up on it.
How's life in the Tonga Room?

(*Note to Mig: Wahine Marian was there too. )

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 4:09 pm   Permalink

Around here Joanne's regularly has the LP frames. I think that is where Kiliki got the ones in our bedroom. In there it's all LPs with sleeping themes.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Frenchy Polynesia
Deleted

Posted: 2003-08-04 4:38 pm   Permalink

Hey KG (and WM)

Life is good! I'm working on the all-new swanky bachelorette pad (just got some new Keanes last weekend at a flea market). I sure hope you guys come west again!

Oh - and just to verify that I'm still on topic: my 2 favorite exotica albums -

Que Mango, Les Baxter
and
Tambo! by Tito Puente

Both out of print, but worth the effort to track down.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-05 08:05 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tips guys. I found some $15 album frames at Michael's Arts & Crafts last night. Here are a couple of albums I found on the net that fit my criteria.

Frenchy: Glad your enjoying your new locale. We'll definitley be out your way at some point. I'll get a business trip to the west coast sooner or later.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-08-05 08:06 ]

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-05 4:17 pm   Permalink

Here's one of the albums I found.

I dig the paper lantern.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation