FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's a 'Nectar'?
What's a 'Nectar'?
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 09:07 am   Permalink

I'm working my way through the Grog Log and Intoxica and I've reached the point where I need to get some fruit nectars. What are they and how are they different from juice or syrups?

Cheers

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 09:43 am   Permalink

My experiance is that nectar is much thicker than juice, how it is produced, I don't know.

Merriam Webster says:
'nek-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek nektar
1 a : the drink of the Greek and Roman gods b : something delicious to drink c : a beverage of fruit juice and pulp <apricot nectar>
2 : a sweet liquid that is secreted by the nectaries of a plant and is the chief raw material of honey

I found this site:
http://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-beverages-juice-and-nectars.html

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 09:46 am   Permalink

Thanks Tiki Matt. I'll have to get searching in the UK.

Although it'll probably be twice the price of the stuff in the USA.

Mahalo

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 10:06 am   Permalink

i've had some of the 'jumex' drinks shown on that website ~ (i had a mexican housemate once) ~ the liquids are quite thick, probably including fruit puree in with the juice. you could probably repliciate it by putting the fruit and juice in a blender and toying with it until you get a thick, flowable liquid. just mah 2 coconut nectars...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 10:51 am   Permalink

next time I see you, I could take you some fruit nectar, lots of sorts and priceless here.
There is no nectar of very liquid fruit like grapefruit, orange, grapes, pineapple. The nectar is more for solid fruits that makes puree (apricot, mango, pear, banana...). Very tasty.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-24 12:40 pm   Permalink

Try a health food store our local one has them in.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 1:18 pm   Permalink

Here in the states you find them with the Mexican foods. Jumex, Looza and Goya are the three brands here. Usually about 40 cents for a can the size of a soda.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 2:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the advice.

Virani, yeah we'll do that sometime.

dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-24 2:28 pm   Permalink

the answer is simple if you look at the list of ingredients. most "juices" sold in the US are really sugar/corn syrup water with additives, coloring, artificial flavoring, and a *wee* bit of actual juice!
Nectar, on the other hand, is supposed to be mostly real juice - nothing much added. I've always been fond of Kern's nectars (apricot, peach, strawberry, etc.) but they are very expensive and have more calories than the fakey "juice."

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 10:03 am   Permalink

Yeah, nectar is just nice, thick juice. Virani summed it up rather well. In the UK, you can't really get away with calling a mixture of juice , water, sugar, and assorted crap 'juice' - it can only be called a 'drink'. Still popular stuff, though, packaged to look like it could be juice.

'Nectar' shouldn't be too difficult to find. I've always managed to get it from more independent shops and small supermarkets rather than the big name Supermarkets. Usually it's European in origin. Lovely stuff - well worth seeking out!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 10:11 am   Permalink

Just got some Apricot & Mango & Peach nectars. Need to track down the Guava and Papaya ones now.

Exotic deli's here I come.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation