FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Aaron’s New Akua (Done!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Aaron’s New Akua (Done!)
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 9:31 pm   Permalink

A2-Getting down to the nitty gritty eh.
That is going to be one smooth tiki when you get it finished. Thanks for asking all the questions I never get around too.
Cheers,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-10 5:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks Chongo - this is quite a resource we have here at TC. All the help is priceless.

Benz - that was a really excellent explanation, and I never really quite thought of it that way. The really fine sanding may not be necessary for this palm tiki. Maybe I'll save it for the mahogany or other fine wood that I'm planning on working with some day. With this first wood tiki I've just been plugging away, taking my time, trying to make it the best tiki that I can, and figuring out the carving method as I go. I think I'll finish the rest of it with 60 grit & cleanup chiseling, then go to 100 grit & call it a day.

I'm hoping that the next set of 100 grit sanding will go a lot faster. I'm really hopefully thinking that the first series of rough sanding is the toughest and longest, because once the chisel marks and rough spots are removed, you'd think that the finer grit sanding would be a piece of cake??? If that's the case maybe I'll do the 220 grit after all. We'll see....

I'm just back on Sunday afternoon from a weekend camping with the Ohana at Leo Carillo Beach, just above Malibu. And yes, I brought the tiki along & got some sanding in at the beach. Kinda pooped ...talk atcha all later.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-23 8:46 pm   Permalink

After sanding ad nauseum, this tiki's ready for staining. Picked up the materials at Lowe's tonight, and staining will commence tomorrow (finally!)

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 12:59 pm   Permalink

hey DoubleA, that guy relly looks great. I Love how Clean all the detail is. Nice and smoothe and good lines. See what the extra sanding will do?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 1:07 pm   Permalink

Aron, love the expression on his face.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 4:43 pm   Permalink

Er, Okay... How about "Staining will commence next week"...

Small setback... After all that sanding, I thought "I've got to get all this dust out of this guy before finishing". So of course I hit it with a high powered water hose. You can see in the photo that it's still a bit damp.

Two minor problems with this: 1) Damp wood probably won't work well with the oil based stain that I bought. and 2) I noticed that all of the wood swelled up, raised the grain, & a few new cracks appeared. I was pissed!

So, today I went out & bought an air spray tip for my compressor, and spent about an hour going over all of it with 100 and 150 grit all over again, spraying it off with air intermittently.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh! Time to put away the sandpaper & pour a cold martini.

Thanks for the props Ben & Swampy, I'm gonna call it a day!

After couple of days when I'm sure all of the moisture is completely gone, I'll do the 2-tone & post a few picks.

Cheers!
(and I mean that)

Aaron

-Pablo Picasso

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 6:12 pm   Permalink

That is awesome, love the eyes . I cant wait to see him done.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 5:05 pm   Permalink

The white edges of the tile were showing a little, so I picked up this high gloss acrylic enamel paint called “Glossies”. The color I used is a deep blue purple. You apply it, then bake it in the oven for 45 minutes or so. I painted up all of the edges (not shown here), and the color wound up matching nicely. Small detail, but the white edges were bugging me.

All ready for staining. The product I’m using is Olympic oil base wood stain. The colors are “Natural” for the teeth & eyes (small can), and “Red Mahogany” for the rest. The green can is Minwax “Helmsman Spar Urethane”. I meant to get Marine Varnish like Benzart uses, but wound up with this instead. Who knows, maybe it will work better. The can says to wait only 6 hours between coats & sand with 220 grit in between. I’m gonna take Octane’s advice and double the dry time just to make sure. Either way, 12 hours of dry time beats 48 hours any day of the week. Just hope it looks as nice.

Started with the teeth & eyes, that way the dark stain is less likely to run from the dry areas into the already stained light areas.

Next comes the tricky part. I used a small artist’s brush to bring the dark stain right up to the light stain. This particular palm wood is dry as a bone, so I had to work fast. The stain directions say to apply it, then wipe it off 5 minutes later. It didn’t work that way for me. This stuff dried so fast, I had to sort of wipe it as I went to keep it uniform.

I took Polynesiac’s advice & used foam brushes for the broad strokes. It seemed to work well for getting into all of the small cracks. Here’s a few close-ups.

Here’s the tiki with the eye & ear inlay set in for effect. I’m actually gonna wait till the next to last coat of polyurethane is applied before I glue these in. They are plenty glossy as is.

Here's the first coat of gloss.

This is my last posting of progress pics on this tiki. I’ve got 9-12 coats of polyurethane to go & he’s done. I hope you all enjoyed this along with me. Thanks to all who posted such great advice. Look for the final product in a week or two.

MAHALO!

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-10-31 16:27 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 7:41 pm   Permalink

Aaron's it really looks great. You have finished this with such fine detail its outstanding. It is a simple tiki but you have turned it into a masterpiece. You have to be proud of it, I would.Now is when you are supposed to be roughing out the next one or two. Chop Chop, no rest for the weary

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-31 7:39 pm   Permalink

That is looking great , if I scroll really fast I can see your carving being born. Keep us posted on the next one .

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-31 10:31 pm   Permalink

You did a great job!!! I think it is so cool to look at the whole progress of it all. That tiki is beatiful!! I can't wait to see it finished.
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-01 10:10 pm   Permalink

yeah, bro. Forget about all this staining crap and start carving again!

I hear your next carving calling...moaI, moAI, mOAI, MOAI!!!

Looks like a real classy tiki - nice job!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 08:10 am   Permalink

AA: tha't top notch...wuznt sure how the tiles would look...thought about it seeming like those resin inlay projects of highschool shop, but it looks very very good.

The single improvment I might think could be the use of Madrone. (yar...)

See you in a few weeks!

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 08:18 am   Permalink

Great work Aaron,wheres it gonna go?
Looking forward to more

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 1:29 pm   Permalink

Aw, shucks...no masterpiece by any means... Thanks, Benz- you've been a real mentor since I started posting here. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

And thanks for all the props, guys. All this positive feedback is really charging me up! Now, while this one's getting glossed up, I'm laying out plans for the next.

RT & Spermy, glad you liked the posting. Hopefully not too much detail? I like doing these progress posts - they keep me rolling. Next one will be similar (start to finish), but not so many questions. I think I've got the basics mostly worked out for now. But don't hold me to it...

Sorry, Polynesiac, the Moai-Ku is set aside for the moment. I'm doing a special request tiki as a favor to a friend who gave me some air tools. (Moai is next on the list).

Gigantalope is bringing me some Madrone logs soon. Can't wait to tear into 'em. Thanks Big-G, that's SO cool of you to bring them down. Yeah, I wasn't so sure about the tile, but it seemed to work out. If I ever develop a "style", this may be part of it. Looking into getting a used tile saw.

Cheeky, my next one will be a departure, 'cause I usually like to design my own stuff from scratch. It will be based on some work by one of our own Tiki Icons - with permission, of course. And there will be some modifications as well. Sorry to be mysterious, but you're all gonna have to wait for the next post....

A-A

-Pablo Picasso

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation