[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events NYC --Kahiki Tribute, 9.1.04
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
NYC --Kahiki Tribute, 9.1.04
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 09:10 am   Permalink

HKG--that's cool. Nothing is worse than NOT getting tiki when you were expecting it. Maybe you can make it out to Otto's on Sept. 20 when Uncle Art (stentiki) visits. He's the greatest so-Cal guy ever! There's a thread for this out there.

UT--a bar trooper like myself. So, Shalom Aloha and I will meet you tonight at Marion's? We are regulars at Wally's--so let us introduce you to the crew afterwards. It has it's lame points, I agree, but once you are friends with the staff, it's a load of fun! p.s do you like Kareoke?

MC

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 11:13 am   Permalink

I am actually quite fond of Waikiki Wally's even wothout knowing the staff (though everyone who works there is very nice)- I'll take my tiki wherever I can get it. Although I think the drinks are better at Otto's.

I will be wearing a light blue/green tropical print shirt (not sure it would really classify as a hawaiian shirt- too muted) and beige slacks. And I'm somewhat uhhh, folically challenged.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 11:50 am   Permalink

I will be pink muu-muu-ally challanged. see you a bit after 8!

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 09:17 am   Permalink

UrbanTiki,
what a fun time! Really glad to meet you! Did you stay and watch alot of Kareoke at Lucky Cheng's? Did you sing?

Marion's update: well, sadly, it looks like the Kahiki Tribute at Marion's Continental is a thing of the past. They are now hosting a lovely "Beach Bikini Party"--complete with pretty white patio umbrellas and white chinesesque laterns--but not a tiki in sight. No more thatched roofed huts. No tiki lights. No exotica decor. No tiki drinks. But there are some remnants of the Kahiki Tribute yesteryear: pu-pu platter (delicious! especially the coconut shrimp), roasted pig (I should have tried it!!), a few tiki mugs behind the bar and (fireless) Volcano Bowls, and the Pontani Sisters' burlesque hula. Marion's is still a great summertime treat, but as for its tiki groove--maybe it will return next year when the Republicans do not.

MC

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 08:17 am   Permalink

Manic Cat- great to meet you and Shalom Aloha- I had a great time, despite the relatively tikiless environ. I stayed a little while longer at Lucky's but, mercifully, I did not sing. I hope to see you both at the Otto's gathering later in the month.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation