Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Thrift store find, with questions
Thrift store find, with questions
CornTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-25 5:31 pm   Permalink

I would have posted this in the finds threads, but I had some questions about it I hoped to find a broader audience for. I found a set at a local thrift store, two chairs, two love seats, and a coffee table. Here are the pics...

The cushion isn't stained, just cat hair.

They have a little plaque that says:

Ritts co.
Tropitan
Los Angeles, CA

They are stamped:
Copyright 1951
Herbert Ritts Inc
Los Angeles, CA

Cost for the set, $225

What can anyone tell me about it. Regardless of whether I got a good deal (which I think I did), it's going to look great in the soon-to-be constructed Tiki Bar. TIA.

Edited to resize the pics

[ This Message was edited by: CornTiki on 2004-08-25 17:40 ]

View Profile of CornTiki Send a personal message to CornTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 9:30 pm   Permalink

i wish i knew.... but damn I would have paid that price. I love that table. Great Find!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 10:27 pm   Permalink

I'm sooooooo jealous. The Mrs. and I have been looking for that set-up for our Aloha Room. Nice score, good price too.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-26 12:08 am   Permalink

Nice score CornTiki,
I believe "Tropitan" was the name of the rattan line of furniture put out by Ritts. From time to time you'll see an old catalog on e-bay.
Here's a great book on rattan furniture...
I have a similar table, same ameoba shape just different legs and no markings. It really is a centerpiece to the room.
Rattan cleans up pretty well with soap and water and a bit of scrubbing and then looks great with some oil applied.
Aloha,

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Royale on 2004-08-26 00:08 ]

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-26 04:35 am   Permalink

Herbert Ritts was the father of contemporay fashion photographer/music video director Herb Ritts. His company pioneered decorative Rattan furniture and design in California and the rest of the US.
Good find.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-26 3:17 pm   Permalink

We have a number of Tropitan tables, chairs and a sofa. We LOVE them and are always looking for more. It is tougher to find here in the midwest though. Considering how many pieces you got for the money........"You done good !" (as we say here in our neck of the woods. I mean fields. Enjoy

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 09:46 am   Permalink

Wow, nice find for 250. That table looks a little dinged up, but it's killer.

I've got a set very similar, but with a sofa instead of the love seat. My side chair is a little different though. Mine has the original barkcloth fabric on it that had an oriental flare to it with a banzai tree pattern. It was great until I got a cat and dog. Now it's torn up and in bad need of new covers. Mine didn't come with a table either. I'd say you got a very good deal.

[ This Message was edited by: SON OF MOTHRA on 2004-08-27 09:47 ]

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation