FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waikiki Wally's New York, NY, New York, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Waikiki Wally's New York, NY, New York, NY (restaurant)
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Trader Vic's is looking to get back into the NYC market. It's just a matter of time and finding the right location.

Wow! How do you know that? If that happened it would be really cool. It'd be great if it was a whole restaurant and not just a lounge, but hell...I'll take the lounge by itself too!! Wherever they choose to set up shop I would hope they avoid either the Meatpacking District or Soho. If they want to go classic they should set up in Times Square. That would be pretty cool, but real estate up there is probably through the roof. Either way if they returned to NYC I'd be there in a minute. Damn! Maybe they can dust off some of the old furnishings from the Plaza Hotel or Savoy Hilton locations, if that stuff even exists anymore (doubt it).

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2008-02-03 14:46 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 1:41 pm   Permalink

After heading to Wallys a few weeks back and finding it closed on a Monday night (they list the place open at 6pm), I decided to give the bar a cool. I got some tool on the phone telling me that they barely open the place any more and are planning on closing it very soon. He said that it is open on weekends. Anyone that has yet to visit Wally's might want to get over there ASAP.

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 5:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-16 13:41, liabungalo wrote:
After heading to Wallys a few weeks back and finding it closed on a Monday night (they list the place open at 6pm), I decided to give the bar a cool. I got some tool on the phone telling me that they barely open the place any more and are planning on closing it very soon. He said that it is open on weekends. Anyone that has yet to visit Wally's might want to get over there ASAP.

No big surprise here. The reason why this place is going down the tubes is that from the beginning their lack of quality was pretty evident. Yeah, they did a fairly OK job with the interior design, but both the food and drinks were way sub-par. In the five or six years they have been around, I only found myself going there once for dinner, and then another time later on for drinks. I thought it sucked the first time, but decided to give it another try. Still sucked. Stand out memory: almost all of the Tiki mugs they served drinks in were chipped or cracked. The drinks themselves weren't special either. When this place finally closes, there will probably be some other observations: A) Tiki isn't that big a deal in NYC and/or B) it was because of the economy. Maybe the latter has contributed to where they're at now. But this place was an under-executed venture from the start. It'd be nice if we had some motivated individuals here in NYC with some financial capital to start something like you guys have out west like Frankie's in Vegas or Forbidden Island in Alameda, CA. If I had the investment $$$ I'd give it a go myself!

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2008-12-17 20:14 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 10:14 am   Permalink

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about the place !!?

Too bad, it was one of the first nouvelle Tiki places inspired by the BOT.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-12-18 14:20 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 9:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-18 10:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about the place !!?

Too bad, it was one of the first nouvelle Tiki places inspired by the BOT.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-12-18 14:20 ]

Yeah, it is too bad. I'm willing to support anybody who begins a Tiki operation here in NYC, but these guys didn't really have their act together. It's easy for me to be an armchair Tikiphile and criticize these guys, but unfortunately in this case it's true. Had you ever made it over there?.

sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 1:45 pm   Permalink

Anyone know how to start a Trader Vics Franchise - seems like NYC needs it back. I doubt its a cheap maneuver and nothing easy in the NYC area. BUTT...
Wallys was "sorta alright" for a bit, but when they gut it - I'm hoping I can get in on the goods they toss out.
DUmpster dive

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 4:44 pm   Permalink

Granted the drinks were strong and plentiful the last few times I was at Wally's but I am pretty sure I remember it being connected to two other bars - a Chinese drag revue club and a rocker bar - all owned by the same guy (and all themed bars.) Its a big facility and all interconnected (walk through the back door and you're in the other bar.) Not really a point to all this except to say that its since its not just one bar, its probably not just an easy turnover (unless the owner re-themes it, which would be a pity.)

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 10:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-19 13:45, sneakyjack wrote:
Anyone know how to start a Trader Vics Franchise - seems like NYC needs it back. I doubt its a cheap maneuver and nothing easy in the NYC area.

Totally agree. Vic's has been absent from New York for almost 20 years now. They were here for around 30 years before they vanished, um...I mean 'forced out' by rich guy at large and arbiter of 'good taste', Donald Trump. The TV lounge idea would probably do well here. There are enough upscale hotels around here that I'm sure would benefit from just having the bar only. You'd think since they have establishments in major cities around the world, they would have one in NYC. In this economy though, probably ain't gonna happen real soon.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 12:57 pm   Permalink

It came, it went, it left behind a few artifacts.

I have managed to find a few advertising cards with some great Wahine graphics that also included this rum-glazed Sea Captain figure.

And the drink menu

The Cover

The story.

The drinks.

Always sad to see them go.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-17 12:50 pm   Permalink

I know its an old thread. I just picked up the Canoe from the ceiling from here.
http://critiki.com/pictures/?loc_id=118#/9

Not much left except a few dirty bamboo like chairs.

And the waterfall insert rock is in the roof 3 stories up weight - over 100 lbs.
http://critiki.com/pictures/?loc_id=118#/1

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/for/3413430035.html

Canoe missing "outrigger arms" -
still cool.

[ This Message was edited by: sneakyjack 2013-06-24 09:30 ]

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation