FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Rain Lamp
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Rain Lamp
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-29 09:45 am   Permalink

I love most old beer signs.
When I was young these were hard to get, we had no ebay.
So if you did see one at someones house it was a big deal.
Also like the metal rain lights like the one at the bottom of the page here.
"Blatz Bottle Man Rain"
http://www.motionsignman.com/signs/motionsigns.html

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-29 3:15 pm   Permalink

I realized today when I saw another post on this topic that I never posted a picture of my Tiki Rain Lamp here.

I finished it a few years back, thanks to some guidance from tiki skip.

Here it is:

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-29 4:41 pm   Permalink

GREAT job Caroline!!!
Man I still got the bamboo I was going to give you for that light.
Love the curtin in the back.
Your place must be AWESOME!
Or piled high with $h!* like mine.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaLounger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-18 11:26 am   Permalink

Hate to do the rain lamp thing to death, but I now have two, a cute little tabletop number and a gigantic monstrosity that hogs up a whole corner of our room, but we don't care because we like the tikified rain lamp better than most people we know.

My problem is, does anyone know what guage to use for the fishing line? I strung the whole thing with 20 lb test line monofilament and loaded the lamp with glycerine. Figured if it fell off the ceiling, it'd be much easier to clean up glycerine (breaks down with water). Ok, it worked just fine and didn't smell "machine" like it did before I cleaned it. But the glycerine seemed to run a bit too fast down the lines. I figured it was a bit too thin. Cleaned it all out, replaced line with 30 lb test and used plain mineral oil. Works much better. Still runs pretty fast though.

Now I'm thinking....does the 30 lb test line simply drain the oil faster down the line becuase it's increased surface area attracts more oil, however the 30lb test line fills up more space in the hole that allows the oil to drip. OR....if I used something like 15lb test, thinner, might attract less oil, but would leave more space in the hole. Arghhh! I'm so NOT interested in restringing it all AGAIN just to see the affect.

Tabletop rain lamp (actually adore this one more than the biggie one because we can sit closer) has the same problem, oil runs down so fast, drips are approximately 3/8" apart and drains oil from the holding area so fast that it doesn't get around to every string, only drips about two thirds of the strings. Holes are clean, line is new, oil is fresh. Just strung it with 30lb test, no real change. Maybe I stretched the line too much making it thinner when pulling line taut. I didn't see clear 50lb test at Bass Pro or I'd have given that a shot. This tabletop model does not have grommets in the holes.

This is frustrating. It MUST be the mineral oil and it's simply too viscous....but then again, maybe it's the line. Anybody got any ideas so this won't run out so fast??

I'm considering buying an industrial sized drum of the drakeol 35 or kaydol 35 as maybe it'd run right.....maybe I could portion it out to other rain lamp people.

I need a Rumkin! (small rum drink before lunch-LOL)
LavaLounger

View Profile of LavaLounger Send a personal message to LavaLounger  Goto the website of LavaLounger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-22 06:49 am   Permalink

I don't have any ideas on this.
Guess I just got lucky that mine worked well from the start.
Only made the one light though, just got the first mineral oil I saw.
Have like two more to make one day.
Let us know what you find out.
Good luck!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation