Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food freezing extra lemon and lime juice
freezing extra lemon and lime juice
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-27 11:50 pm   Permalink

geez, costco lemons and limes are so cheap ~ but they dont stay fresh forever.. i was wondering :

is there a noticable difference in cocktail drinks, if i use freshly frozen lemon or lime juices?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-29 7:03 pm   Permalink

I read in a magazine recently to do this; and then did it with a whole bowl full of extra lemons I have. I poured the juice into ice cubes, then the next day put the ice cubes in a ziploc.

haven't tried it yet in a drink but I trust the magazine's recommendation. I also have some friends who did this in college and said such ice cubes were great in straight vodka.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-29 11:02 pm   Permalink

Yup, I've frozen fresh squeezed limes and lemons plenty of times. I started out doing it in regular ice cube trays, then I tried it in the smaller gum drop sized trays and sucessfully kept them in Zip-Loc bags.

Eventually I just went to freezing the juice in small empty water bottles (also from Costco) and keeping them in the freezer until needed.

I have actually done this with most of my mixers (pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, lime, apple, sd well as fresh made pina colada mix, etc...) and currently have a freezer shelf entierly filled with frozen mixers.

As far as freezing the lemon and lime goes... I haven't had a single problem, nor noticed a decrease in the quality. I have had a thawed bottle of straight lime juice last in my refrigerator for a couple months.

In fact... I'm probably going to pick up another bag o' limes tomorrow and break out my vintage Juicit Juicer to re-stock.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation