FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ The stuff at the back of the liquor cabinet
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The stuff at the back of the liquor cabinet
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-12 05:19 am   Permalink

If you check the back our your drinks cabinet, there's always going to be a
couple of bottles of stuff picked up on vacation which turns out to be rather difficult
to incorporate into a cocktail. It might be interesting to see what people have that just
gathers dust, and it would be cool if anyone has any great ideas for these difficult
to drink boozes.

I'll start the ball rolling with my bottle of Avocaat, which has been hanging around for
ages. It's so thick you have to spoon it out of the bottle, and looks and tastes like alcoholic
custard. In fact, Avocaat is alcoholic custard. Any ideas how I can use it up, apart from the dreaded
'snowball'?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Caber-Net
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-12 07:54 am   Permalink

Oh man that stuff is disgusting!!! A lady from the old country ordered a bottle from us. When it was delivered we thought it was spoiled, like bad Bailey's, but thatís how it was supposed to look. So she opens the bottle at the store and makes us try it. Its so thick it sticks to the back of your throat and burns. Really strange stuff. I would make all your friends do a shot when they come over until itís gone. Good luck
Mark

View Profile of Caber-Net Send a personal message to Caber-Net  Email Caber-Net     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 01:27 am   Permalink

Xtabentun - an anise flavored liquor picked up on vacation in Cancun 10 yars ago - never cracked open the seal!!!

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 01:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-13 01:27, Cherry Capri wrote:
Xtabentun - an anise flavored liquor picked up on vacation in Cancun 10 yars ago - never cracked open the seal!!!

I thought Xtabentum was the title of an Yma Sumac album!?

View Profile of TikiMikey Send a personal message to TikiMikey  Email TikiMikey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 05:48 am   Permalink

Arrow brand Anisette lurks in the back of our cabinet. We were trying out some recipes from Jeff Berry's "Intoxica" and thought we had all the ingredients. Wrong. A Dr. Funk called for 1/4 ounce of Pernod! Returning to the liquor store, we learned that in Oregon you can only buy the 750 ml size at $27.00. We went the cheap route only to discover a few days later that a participant had Pernod gathering dust in the back of her cabinet.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 06:20 am   Permalink

Yeah, the aniseed stuff does take a lot of getting used to, though I've developed a taste for Pernod & particularly Ouzo, which has quite a dry taste. It's the very sweet stuff that makes me want to gag. There's a bottle of Anis Dulce (or something like that) at home that has been touched once, never to be touched again. It cost about $6, but I've seen it for $40 over here, not that it can go on eBay or anything!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 09:37 am   Permalink

ouzo yeeeurgh, we have a bottle that was sneaked into our drinks collection. when me and the wife went to greece recently we brought back 16 bottles of booze and only one of them was ouzo (for the mother in law),
the only decent aniseed flavoured drink is absinthe.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
luau63
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-13 09:48 am   Permalink

i liberated a tiny [3 oz] green bottle of 'chocolate bitters' that my mom brought back from europe a few years ago. it said it was 60 proof. i broke the seal. it smelled like isopropyl alcohol. the taste: have you ever siphoned gasoline through a hose and some of it goes into your mouth? not very chocolatey..

View Profile of luau63 Send a personal message to luau63      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 09:57 am   Permalink

Blackberry Brandy cordial in a Matador decanter- I inherited from my Dad. It is at least 40 years old never opened.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 10:26 am   Permalink

I've got a bottle of Pacharan Zoco from Spain - my sister got it for me when in Barcelona - I've never opened the bottle, to be honest, I don't even know what it is...is it a liquer, a brandy, a mixer, what?? It's got a picture of these berries on the label and it doesn't look like any berry I know...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-09-13 3:57 pm   Permalink

Pernod comes in pint bottles too but it may be hard to find in that size. I use Herbsaint instead of Pernod in recipes because it comes in handy for Sazeracs as well.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-14 01:04 am   Permalink

Zoco is a liquer made from sloe berries.
My book of 'Drinks & Drinking' describes the taste thus: Lightly silky, syrupy,honeyed with a nice sloe & cherry ripeness, stewed prunes, anise freshness, building up nicely with plums dipped in chocolate and ripe fruityness'.

Worth cracking open, it seems!

Trader Woody

Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-14 02:43 am   Permalink

Raki from turkey maybe 15 years old-another anise flavored thingy (like ouzo but stronger) The only thing you can mix it wioth is WATER!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-15 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-14 01:04, Trader Woody wrote:
Zoco is a liquer made from sloe berries.
My book of 'Drinks & Drinking' describes the taste thus: Lightly silky, syrupy,honeyed with a nice sloe & cherry ripeness, stewed prunes, anise freshness, building up nicely with plums dipped in chocolate and ripe fruityness'.

Worth cracking open, it seems!

Trader Woody

Thanks for the advice - I will crack it open soon! Sounds like it should be pretty nice...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 12:31 pm   Permalink

I bought a bottle of Zoco in Spain, a couple of weeks back, and it's a damn fine, unique drink. It's sweet, but not cloying, has a very nice anise kick, but the sloes over-ride the anise, making it a world away from ouzo or pastis. Think in terms of a very complex plum brandy and you're on your way there.

Trader Woody
PS It costs £26 ($39) in London, but £5 in Spain ($7.50)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation