FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 12:02 pm   Permalink

Looks like this one's going to hit central Florida... if not head on, a glancing blow. Although still a ways off, could Hukilau be effected by a hurricane... ? A catagory 3 could do considerable damage to the area it is close to I would figure. I'm hoping this one and future one's miss Florida altogether... but is there a plan involving Hukilau if a hurricane makes the event not happen due to widespread power outages, damage to the event locations and damage to the city? Refunds?

Let's hope nothing major comes from this nasty storm... I will be crying because Hukilau doesn't happen and crying because I spent most of my summer preparing for it...

Go away Frances!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-08-31 12:06 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-31 12:16 pm   Permalink

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/08/31/hurricane.frances/index.html

I hope this prediction comes true;
"Forecasters said it had become unlikely that Frances would head to the south and the Florida Keys, instead noting computer models that were beginning to show more of a northerly or northwesterly turn, possibly missing Florida altogether."
I am talking about the "possibly missing Florida altogether" part.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 1:28 pm   Permalink

It's still to early to tell where this thing is going but the way my summer has gone so far I predict it is coming straight for me!!!

A catergory 4 and much bigger than the last one.

Florida hasn't even finished cleaning up from Charlie.

At least we know when they are coming unlike our California Ohana.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 1:59 pm   Permalink

Hmmmm ... still too early to tell on this one. My guess is that it'll cut north well before hitting the coast. I think Flounder is right; it's gonna go after him. The man is a hurricane magnet. Don't invite him for drinks under any circumstances.

Still, unless it scores a direct hit with major damage, it's unlikely that things won't be mostly functional by Hukilau. Even after Andrew we managed to get things limping along within three weeks or so (except that I was living in a house without a roof for awhile that time around).

Hurricane preparedness note: Hurricane shutters work extremely well until the roof comes off - after which the windows break from the inside out.

Cheers!

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 2:23 pm   Permalink

SSSHHhhhhh!

I have been very blessed in my travels and been just missed, or just before or after Hurricanes in my trips to Mexico. I assume they will not bother me in Florida either.

They are starting early this year, eh?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 3:09 pm   Permalink

... it's NEVER too early for another Hurricane! Wait! Oh - I thought you meant the drink!

Cheers!

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sea-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-01 6:54 pm   Permalink

What hurricane? We don't need no stinkin' hurricanes!!! HHHUUUKKKIIILLLAAAUUUU!!!!:)

View Profile of Sea-Tiki Send a personal message to Sea-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 7:09 pm   Permalink

run run run run aaahhhhh

i think I heard somethin

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 06:32 am   Permalink

They are evacuating in Fort Lauderdale. This thing is heading straight toward our holy ground. I emailed Kern this morning to get his thoughts on it. He will be able to compare with past storms and give some idea of what we all can expect. I'll let you know.

We need a High pressure front to come from out of nowhere and push Francis away!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 06:39 am   Permalink

*shudder*

hey, why don't we agree on a time this weekend to simultaneously sacrifice a mai tai or something? perhaps the tc mana can *blow* it away...

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-09-02 07:04 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 09:21 am   Permalink

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 11:08 am   Permalink

Swanky wrote:

"They are evacuating in Fort Lauderdale. This thing is heading straight toward our holy ground."

I am praying. And wishing I could be there to help move those Tikis to higher ground!!! Oh, noooo...everybody, think protective thoughts of the Mai Kai AS HARD AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN!

Very Worried,

tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 11:19 am   Permalink

nnnnnnnoooooooooooo!!!!!!!..........this cant be happening!!!!....please tiki gods, please!!!!!!

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 11:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-02 06:39, Johnny Dollar wrote:
[

hey, why don't we agree on a time this weekend to simultaneously sacrifice a mai tai or something? perhaps the tc mana can *blow* it away...

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-09-02 07:04 ]

JS I'm working on a double Surf Room Tai Tai for you right now.

"summer's a state of mind"

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 11:33 am   Permalink

Seriously,

Will this put a halt to Hukilau?

This sucks. Damn weather.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation