FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 07:53 am   Permalink

YIKES, there's another, Hurricane Ivan, between Fla. and Africa.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-02 11:22, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-09-02 06:39, Johnny Dollar wrote:
[

hey, why don't we agree on a time this weekend to simultaneously sacrifice a mai tai or something? perhaps the tc mana can *blow* it away...

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-09-02 07:04 ]

JS I'm working on a double Surf Room Tai Tai for you right now.

"summer's a state of mind"

well i drank a "go away frances" mai tai last night as well, hope it helped...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 11:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-02 22:07, Lake Surfer wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-09-02 15:48, Swanky wrote:
Kern at the Mai Kai says the structure is solid steel and no worries.

Well that sounds good... how about the hotel?

The hotel is made of BALSA wood !! The last time a hurricane blew through there, the hotel floated out to see and the Ft. Lauderdale city fathers hired a couple of "sea cowboys" to lasso that sucker!!!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 12:38 pm   Permalink

Well, it's actually a pretty nice day today so far ... we got a couple of feeder bands that came thru, but on the whole VERY light, and under normal conditions, a very nice day.

Last night our friends Liz and Earl came over and we drank Mai-Tai's until very late (early?), and then sat outside and enjoyed the moon. Nice night. Funny how the old saying that it's always calmest before the storm is true with these things.

Fortunately for Hukilau and Fort Lauderdale, this thing seems to be tracking north the way I thought it would; the only danger is that a High Pressure system could squeeze it south again, but as of now, it looks like somewhere up the coast. I just hope it misses Orlando this time around - you guys have had enough for the year already!

As before, if anyone up there needs a hand don't hesitate to give me a call 954-880-0406.

Cheers!

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 12:43 pm   Permalink

Ivan looks like it will go south into the gulf and hit Mexico if it keeps going...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sea-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-03 4:42 pm   Permalink

cybertiki...thanks for the updates! Keep us posted and stay SAFE! Drinking a mia tai to you right now!

View Profile of Sea-Tiki Send a personal message to Sea-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 07:06 am   Permalink

So far things here in Fort Lauderdale aren't too bad. We have roughly 40 mph sustained winds and slightly higher gusts as the Storm Feeder Bands roll thru. Not really too bad considering what it could have been. Everything is closed and probably will be until Sunday.

I'm still guessing that Hobe Sound/Jupiter is going to be the point of impact.

To my friends up the coast, my best wishes, and don't hesitate to call me after the storm if you need anything. 954-880-0406

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 10:36 am   Permalink

Thanks for the updates Cyber. How far away from the Mai Kai are you?

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 2:23 pm   Permalink

OK, here we are, the storm is about 70 miles off Palm Beach, and it just stops and sits there ... out here west of Fort Lauderdale we've got sustained winds probably 45-50 mph, and we're gusting up to about 70. Power is on and off (I'm actually restarting my router midway thru this message). Lost a few shingles, nothing major yet, just ugly.

I think this will not be too bad, down here - unless of course it decides not to move on within several hours.

Anyway, limes are holding out well, and I got a huge bucket-o-chili that should tide us over for a week or so if the power stays off (of course sitting in a hot un-air conditioned house after eating chili is probably not advisable).

I'll update later if the power stays on long enuf!

Cheers!

NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-04 3:55 pm   Permalink

I agree with Cybertiki ---- the media has really had a fun time with the hurricanes here in Florida. I live in Neptune Beach, the Jacksonville area, the media here has been literally excited about the prospect of a hurricane hitting our beaches. On Wednesday, it was announced that Duval County public schools would be closed on Friday. Some private schools were closed Thursday and Friday. Of course I was excited about an additional holiday since I teach! However, people have boarded up their homes, the grocery stores are out of food, there is no more plywood, etc. People are panicking! Our friends and family from California have been calling nonstop because they are scared and fearful due to the media. Now that it looks like Francis is going to scurry past Northeast Florida, the local media seems disappointed. I wish everyone the best in Florida and hope that is skirts past you too. Hurricane season blows!
Neptune Wahine

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 5:05 pm   Permalink

I'm about 20-30 minutes west of the Mai-Kai, depending on traffic. I never actually did the mileage, but it's probably around 25 miles.

We're getting thru the end of a pretty decent sized feeder band and there's another on the way in a couple of hours or so based on what I can see on the NOAA radar feeds. We got some gusts at about 70 mph max, and I've now lost about 30 square feet of shingles. Not too bad, nothing a little tar sealant and a couple of cases of new shingles won't cure.

The media hype has been unbelievable this time around ... these weenies have truly stopped serving the public interest in favor of Publix interests. We have no gas anywhere here in South Florida (except in here where we're downing chili at an amazing rate), the Supermarkets were basically stripped, and several hardware stores were closed before the storm with signs posted saying that they were all out of EVERYTHING. I'm more concerned about the gas than anything else, since this never happened before - I'm starting to wonder if the government isn't masking some sort of serious fuel shortage that only became apparent when there was a sudden spike in demand. Ahhh well, gives me an excuse to stay home and drink!!!

Anyway, we're holding out, still have a good supply of limes, and just cracked another bottle of St. James for the next round of Mai-Tais. Good luck to my neighbors up the coast, I'm pretty sure you're getting flogged just about now.

Cheers!

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 11:16 pm   Permalink

While watching the news, which is the only thing being broadcasted on tv anywhere in the east coast of Florida, one reporter has been based in Ft. Lauderdale at the Bahia Mar marina. Couldn't say much about what's actually happend to the place, aside from the apparent wind and rain. Hope its looking better in time for Hukilau.

Not to be redundant, best wishes to our Florida ohana sitting in the eye of Francis right now and those further north. To everyone being affected, may you spared as much as possible.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-09-04 23:17 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-05 11:45 am   Permalink

Well, Frances is still thrashing Central Florida, but we're pretty much down to a tropical storm here in South Florida. I called the Mai-Kai, and they didn't even lose power during the storm. They are open for one show this evening, so I made reservations for the show at 8PM. They will start seating around 6PM, and if any local TCers are up for it, Joelle and I would love to meet for drinks.

I'll drive by the hotel on the way back and take a look to see how things over there are as well. I'll post later.

Cheers!

cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-05 8:17 pm   Permalink

Good evening All!

We just got back from the Mai-Kai; Joelle, Christina and I had a great stage-side seat for the show. Fantastic as always ... I started in the Molokai with a Sidewinder's Fang, and followed on with some Mara Amu's and then Tahitian Coffee. Oh yeah ... I had kava before heading down there, so it was a REALLY great evening!!!!

Talked to Kern, and he said again that Mai-Kai is fine, just some very minor stuff in the gardens to fix up and that's it. They weren't very busy this evening because most folks are still huddled at home trying to figure out from the BS reporting on the TV whether or not it is safe to come out yet. It's fine out there, no worse at this point than a bad thunderstorm on a summer afternoon.

We tried to drive out to the hotel, but they still have a curfew over on the islands, so we couldn't get over there yet. I'm guessing this is the last night for the curfew, so maybe I'll go over tomorrow and take a peek. Anyway, I hope to see everyone at the Hukilau in a couple of weeks - we've definately weathered the storm!

Cheers!

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-05 8:57 pm   Permalink

Thank You CyberTiki for the Great News!! From what I gather I'd say that my plans for the Hukilau are still on. I have been looking forward for this for sooo long!!! I would hate to be let down. Yay!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation