FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Nani Tiki

Posted: 2004-09-11 10:20 am   Permalink

Here we go again....still shuttered up from Frances and now waiting for Ivan. I freaked out last night and decided to head to Georgia but a voice of reason invaded my brain and said to stay. We live on the water and the thought of my house flooding was more than I could bear. We spent 16 hours moving out and boarding up for Charlie and sat thru the winds of Frances. This time the wind and water can have my stuff. I'm too exhausted physically and emotionally to move stuff out again. We'll hole up with friends in their home located in a non-evac area. They promised to keep me buzzed thru the entire event. Don't know if there's enough rum for that. This damn storm is all over the map, from Tampa to Daytona and back again. Latest "cone of destruction" shows it moving further west into the gulf. God I hope so. Only 2 more weeks to Hukilau. Boy do we need it!!!

View Profile of Nani Tiki Send a personal message to Nani Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poi polloi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-13 8:27 pm   Permalink

TD #11 (soon to be tropical storm Jeanne perhaps?) is making its way toward the bahamas for a Saturday landfall. Let's hope it's just a fizzle.

http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/trackmap2004.html

View Profile of poi polloi Send a personal message to poi polloi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 2:06 pm   Permalink

Well, looks like South Florida may be safe for Hukilau...

BUT...our Alabama, Florida Panhandle, Mississippi and Louisiana ohana look to be in for a VERY nasty time.

In particular, I note the serious attitude of New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin,who declared a state of emergency and called for immediate evacuation of the low-lying, flood-prone city. New Orleans...ohhh nooo.

This means it's time to send up some collective VERY good energy and Tiki toasts to our own New Orleans gal Purple Jade and her family! PJ says there's not much we out west can do but get together and blow as hard as we can in a southeasterly direction...

I say stay the heck away from my friend, Ivan! Or I'll kick your ass! (ahem)

really worried now,

tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-14 14:06, tikivixen wrote:
Well, looks like South Florida may be safe for Hukilau...

Hold your breath... Jeanne is on track for the Bahamas... and maybe east central Florida... let's hope not...

Damn hurricanes...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 9:52 pm   Permalink

The thing it may do is interfere with flights. Some folks are already heading to Florida this weekend for Hukilau, and if an airport or three get closed, it can effect a lot of other places and make people late. Yikes. Freakin' Jeanne looks like it is going north and away from Florida, though if it grows may mean rain. But not likely. It won't happen.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 10:53 am   Permalink

I think it better to freak out about the threat and sigh in a big W'oooooosh... when nothing happens.... this always works better... not that I'm superstitious....

now, where's that rain tiki...........

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 7:32 pm   Permalink

No rain,no rain,no rain!!!Good luck everyone in the path of Ivan-our thoughts and good wishes are with you.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nani Tiki

Posted: 2004-09-15 8:42 pm   Permalink

Had a bit of a scare today. Ivan came within 200 miles of us and our tide was extremely high. My Pilikua called me home from my day of play to save the rum and computer incase we flooded. All turned out well at our place. However, some streets in Tampa had 8 inches of seawater running thru them. Still sitting here boarded up waiting to see what Jeanne does. Call me superstitious, but I'm afraid if I take the plywood off it will be an invitation for trouble...... I just hope Jeanne spins her way back out into the Atlantic. Maybe next year we can have Hukilau after hurricane season ends in November. For the lastest update go to weatherunderground.com and blow hard to the east.
To all our 'ohana in Ivans path, our thoughts and prayers go to you.

[ This Message was edited by: Nani Tiki on 2004-09-15 20:52 ]

View Profile of Nani Tiki Send a personal message to Nani Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-15 20:42, Nani Tiki wrote:
Call me superstitious, but I'm afraid if I take the plywood off it will be an invitation for trouble......

No worries. I purchased a large amount of battery powered fans, lamps, cooking devices and a TV. I also purchased a HUGE amount of batteries. This will, without a doubt, REVERSE jinx Central Florida from ever getting hit by a hurricane again. Or at least until my batteries go bad. Bank on it!

Ivan is a wicked fugger and I feel horrible for those in it's path. New Orleans looked to be spared for the most part. A local forecaster thinks that Jeanne is going to get demolished by the mountains of the Dominican Republic and likely cease to exist in a day or two.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 10:49 am   Permalink

WooooooWie! the Santa Anna's are blowing early this year.... Warm dry desert winds from the northeast usually blowing hard in Oct.... kind of like a dehydrated hurricane, minus a hundred miles an hour on the winds.
We loose a lot of patio umbrellas and some fences, a turned over semi-truck or two.... let's hope some fire bug doesn't light up a few billion in houses and property by the time I get back from Hukilau.........

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 4:00 pm   Permalink

OK---Everybody chant "no rain for the cruise, no rain for the cruise!"

Thursday: A mix of clouds and sun with the chance of an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. High 88F. Winds ENE at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 08:49 am   Permalink

We're not out of the woods yet --

Hurricane Jeanne May Head Back Toward U.S.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 09:19 am   Permalink

I wonder if locals are worried about hurricane "Hukilau" which is set to hit Thursday and not blow out of Ft. Lauderdale until Sunday afternoon.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 2:11 pm   Permalink

I can't think of a better way to ride out a hurricane than lashed to a rattan bar stool in the Molokai Bar of the fabulous Mai-Kai!!!

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 2:52 pm   Permalink

While we're on the no rain thought, let also include the no "Hurricane Jeanne" chant. As of 4:30pm today ,the freakin' news is now saying, that Florida is potentially in the new projected path. #@%#!!!

Hurricane Jeanne, you are NOT invited to Hukilau. Shoo!

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-09-22 14:53 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation