[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Great Tiki Geocache Project
The Great Tiki Geocache Project
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 1:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

A new hobby--geocaching--has been spreading like wildfire in tikidom, read this thread to learn more about it:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10051&forum=6&15

(Okay, so maybe not exactly like wildfire, but the people who are getting into it are really enthusiastic!)

I personally got turned onto geocaching by Mig at this year's Tiki Oasis--Mig & I spent a day hitting geocaches that were at great Palm Springs destinations like Liberace's house, Elvis' house, and the tram. We've discussed how cool it would be if lots of tiki locations had their own caches, and now with more folks here getting into geocaching, I'm thinking this can happen!

Geocaching.com has all the info you need to get started, and includes the rules for creating your own cache. If you live near a tiki location (even if that location is long gone, but of historic interest), please consider creating a cache for it! These caches could include some scans of postcards and pictures of mugs, and a bit of historic information, to teach geocachers a bit about tiki history. If you'd like, I can help you track down neat stuff to put in your cache.

If this is something that people are interested in doing, I can create a link in Critiki in that location's entry directly to the cache's page at Geocaching.com. (I already have added a sort of geocaching easter egg link that will take you to a page showing all the geocaches near a tiki location.)

Anyone interested? I'll have to be clever about it, but I think I can figure out a way to get one near the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's....

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 1:57 pm   Permalink

Count me in...I just figured out my phone has a GPS system in it...Now to figure out how to work it..Yippeee!

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-08-31 14:07 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 1:59 pm   Permalink

Of course I'm in for it - I've already got one planned called "The Latitude 20"!!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 2:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-31 13:59, Doctor Z wrote:
Of course I'm in for it - I've already got one planned called "The Latitude 20"!!

Cool! I'll take on Tiki-Ti, too... I *think* I'm there frequently enough to keep an eye on the cache.

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 2:37 pm   Permalink

Utopiandreem & i are in. Possibly planing one at La Mariana in Sept. But Bahooka would be pretty easy.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-08-31 14:39 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-12 5:03 pm   Permalink

I will put one where Hulaville used to be on old route 66. Not pure Tiki but close to my heart

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-10 10:22 am   Permalink

I'll see what I can do around the Mai-Kai...

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation