FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How do You Frame a Shirt?
How do You Frame a Shirt?
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 12:21 am   Permalink

Aloha All,
So I have a couple of old aloha shirts that I'd like to display in The Aloha Room. Does anyone have any tips for building a frame or some other method for displaying old shirts?
Mahalo,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 02:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-01 00:21, Tiki Royale wrote:
How do You Frame a Shirt?

"Tell him that the pants has been seein the boxers, behind his back."
I don't know what that means. I just thought there was a joke in there somewhere.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 06:24 am   Permalink

Fun idea! What about trying to find a dressmaker's torso,or a department store model?What would also be fun would be to take a length of bamboo and put it through the sleeves,and hang it on the wall.I also heard of someone making a really cool lamp out of one,but I don't know how that was done.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 06:27 am   Permalink

I'm with Unga, you gotta frame the shirt cause everyone thinks the shorts did it

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 07:49 am   Permalink

Tramplamps make old ladies underware into lampshades maybe you could do domething like these to a shirt..

http://www.tramplamps.com/Pages/gallery.html

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 01:25 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:45 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 10:05 am   Permalink

Thanks Filslash,
I love the shirts at Dukes, that's where I got the idea. (I wish my shirts were of that vintage/quality)
I never could really figure out how they displayed the shirts in the frames. I guess I'll just have to bust out the saw and give it a try.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 10:13 am   Permalink

Sufside 7 in Ft. Collins, Colorado has a bunch of vintage shirts in frames. Perhaps you could give them a call and get some info. I haven't met the owner, but I am told he owns some vintage clothing stores in Colorado too, and that the stuff in the bar was collected personally by him. So he probably has some insight on how the shirts were framed, if he didn't do them himself.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 10:21 am   Permalink

i have one of my fave shirts hanging 'kimono' style.

it's not framed but has a rod running thru the sleeves. a ribbon is tied in two spots in the center of the rod & hang's in a triangular shape (the ribbon).

back in our london flat, we had this hanging above the bed in our guestrm. folks loved it.

if you do this, i recommend ironing the shirt first & buttoning the top button.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 10:49 am   Permalink

I'm doing 2 custom shadow boxes next week for 2, 1920's Hula Skirts (vintage???). Can't tell you who they are for but, I'll snap a pic and probably never post it. (doing 2 "way custom" tiki bars for the same person too)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 12:07 pm   Permalink

There're a number of custom framing companies here in San Diego that specialize in framing collectables that don't go in a standard frame, usually a mix of flat & 3-D objects, but I've seen framed sports jerseys & other shirts. If you want the shirts framed you can check out sports & Rock-n-Roll Memorabilia & Collectables stores in your area, they should point you toward the company they use.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation