FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 04:25 am   Permalink

Awesome tiki finky. The headrest is gonna be cool when you finish the detail. Sweet (as usual)

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 05:09 am   Permalink

Can you play music on that? What is your tiki's Puppy dogs name?
I'm kinda liking this one Aaron.Sharp crisp lines as usual and well defined detail. He needs a dentist tho.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 05:23 am   Permalink

I'm liking it Fink. That has tribal influence and yet a dab of comedy. Nice cuts, clean details. Sweet!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 05:46 am   Permalink

Hewey, thanks mate. There's a lot to go yet, but I wanted to see what other people thought of it. If I could start it all over again I would do it differently, but I'm in the thick of it now, so I'm going full-steam-ahead to see where it goes.

Ben, I suppose it does look like a puppy. I originally wanted it to be a Maori warrior face, but the space was to small for me to include all the lines I wanted. I thought it sort of looked like a bat.

McTiki, Mahalo for the kind words. I sort of did this one for my daughter, who always kids me about the way my faces, especially the mouths, are all so symmetrical. So I thought I would mix one up for a change.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 05:53 am   Permalink

Really nice detail. Especially at the size. I saw the warrior face that you described but my son thought is was a crazy monkey.

Carve on.

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-11-21 05:53, PalmCityTiki wrote:
Really nice detail. Especially at the size. I saw the warrior face that you described but my son thought is was a crazy monkey.

Carve on.

I can deal with crazy monkey, in fact, I like it!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 04:38 am   Permalink

He still needs some sanding and another coat of poly, but here is #7. Sorry for the blurry pics.

Mahalo!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 04:43 am   Permalink

Looks pretty cool to me, though it's a bit hard to tell. Finky, did I tell you how much your carving has improved recently?. Keep 'em coming.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 3:26 pm   Permalink

Looks like another finky masterpiece! Nice work dude. Pitty your photograhpic skills arent as good as your carving...

Love ya work dude!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-24 10:41 pm   Permalink

Nice! Do you mind if I wear that for awhile?

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-25 01:52 am   Permalink

Of course we mind! but in the meantime while we're all voting on it I suppose you may as well wear it and get it broken in. Nice piece.

kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-11 4:33 pm   Permalink

hey fink, I just got my wiener tiki yesterday and its so awsome, everybody loved it at spermys party. thanks a mil dude...

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 07:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-11 16:33, kirby wrote:
hey fink, I just got my wiener tiki yesterday and its so awsome, everybody loved it at spermys party. thanks a mil dude...

Kirby, I missed your post somehow. I'm glad you like it, sorry it took so long.

I didn't like the way the last pendant was turning out. It looked too cartoonish or something, so I decided to begin anew. One of my many New Years resolutions is to get back into carving, so I grabbed my knives and a piece of zebra wood that was given to me by Benzart. Dawntiki has been waiting forever for a pendant, so with her in mind I began carving. I shaped the outside of the piece with my dremel, then started carving out the mouth with a freshly sharpened knife. I think you all know where this story is going. I got a bit too impatient with my cuts and perhaps I was putting a bit too much muscle into the blade, because the wood popped out of my hand and the knife plunged into my left index finger. The wound isn't very long, but it's VERY deep. My wife got scared because there was blood everywhere. I probably should have gone to the ER, but I'm stubborn that way. I'll be OK, but the finger is really stiff.

Here's where I got. I'll try to get back to it in a day or two.

Thanks for looking and reading my long-winded post.

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 07:14 am   Permalink

take care of those fingers Finkdaddy...you will need most of them to keep the pendants
coming....nice to hear you are back to carving!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 1:13 pm   Permalink

Ouch!! It doesn't seem that tiki wanted you to keep your New Year's resolution.

Check out this link for protective tape you wrap around your fingers. It is used a lot in factories that handle parts with sharp edges or operations that require trimming with knives. It won't stop a cut from happening such as the plunge cut such as you described but can help prevent incidental contact and offers a layer of protection. You still have to be careful but it is better than raw skin. Lawyer speak-disclaimer etc, etc.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp?search_type=keywordandcatmfgindx&QueryString=finger+tape&catindx1=&catindx2=&xi=xi

If it doesn't take you to the product, type "finger tape" in the search field.

Maybe I should post this in the "tools carvers use" post.

Nice to see you carving again. It's off to a nice start.

JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-08 13:32 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation