FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 1:24 pm   Permalink

Finky, You are supposed to cut the wood, Not the fingers. That Zebra wood is just about too hard to carve with knives, I think I used ALL Power. Looking good though.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your concern guys. I'll be more careful. I think I just got too excited and wanted to see results too quickly. That tape sounds like a good idea, I'll track some down and let you know how it works.

I really like the zebra wood. It's a bit hard for my little hand tools, but it looks very cool. We'll see what happens when I try to put in some detail.

Mahalo!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-08 13:24, Benzart wrote:
Finky, You are supposed to cut the wood, Not the fingers. That Zebra wood is just about too hard to carve with knives, I think I used ALL Power. Looking good though.

Hey Ben. I know what you mean, but the only power tool I have is a medium bur for my dremel. I figure if I can sell two or three tikis in the next month I'll buy a couple of new bits. Do you have any recommendations for a guy on an extremely small budget? Thanks.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 6:25 pm   Permalink

Watch those digits. I have to agree with Benz on the Zebrawood. I did a few things with it and gave up because of the inconsistancy of the wood. The lght stuff is soft and the dark is VERY hard. Take your time and the result will be a beatiful piece. All it needs is a little finishing oil or poly. Good luck and keep carving (wood that is).

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 7:28 pm   Permalink

Whoa finky - I would have thought you would have mastered the first carving rule - cut the wood, not your fingers. Good to see ya back into it (for a little while, at least)

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation