FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaii Kai, NYC in Scorcese's 'Goodfellas'?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ) Remove Highlighting
Hawaii Kai, NYC in Scorcese's 'Goodfellas'?
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 5:23 pm   Permalink

I know we have dated the close of the Hawaii Kai to 1989/90, but just to put a little more weight behind that, in the New York Times in September of 1986 there is a little bit of information about the Hawaii Kai and referring to it as still a restaurant to visit.

"At Hawaii Kai, another theater district tourist treat, a little plastic lei awaits every diner, and the floor shows features hula lessons. There is even a souvenir stand with plush animals, just like a 1940's nightclub - remember when Humphrey Bogart got into a fist fight over custody of a stuffed bear?

Hawaii Kai also maintains the tradition of funny drinks, of which the funniest is a volcano, a great ceramic bowl of rum punch, colored aquamarine to represent the ocean, with a ceramic cone rising from the middle. Sterno is placed in the cone, and then ignited; the thing is served with long straws, which keep you from singeing your eyebrows, while the flickering purple flame permits you to admire the bamboo-and-batiked interior, which is otherwise inordinately dark. Trader Vic's, which might be considered an upscale Hawaii Kai, has nothing half as delirious."

Neat l;ittle write up! I also find it interesting how the Hawaii Kai sign was still on the building up until at least 1993!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 5:27 pm   Permalink

The sign before applebees took over - photo Taken from 50th street looking north west (famiglia pizza would be behind the photographer)

And where are those Hawaii Kai teddy bears? that the drunks fought over?

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-29 17:27, sneakyjack wrote:
The sign before applebees took over - photo Taken from 50th street looking north west (famiglia pizza would be behind the photographer)

And where are those Hawaii Kai teddy bears? that the drunks fought over?

If I only knew then what I know now. I think the building itself is also long gone and made way for that great symbol of modern taste...Apple-friggin-bees.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation