FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Lost park in OC?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Lost park in OC?
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 10:32 am   Permalink

I have a question for any OC history experts out there....

I remember a park that I think was in Anaheim, when I was a child...it was a rather large park, and it had dragon or sea monster shaped slides that went down a hillside..these were BIG slides...I believe this park was on a major street like Euclid, Magnolia or Brookhurst...does anyone remember the name and location of this park?

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-09-02 10:48 am   Permalink

I remember this park too!

If I recall, the serpent/dragon slide was built into the hillside and had a number of twists and turns. As a result, from the top of the slide you could not see the bottom. A very impressive slide for a public park.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 11:13 am   Permalink

That's correct! They came down the hillside....the park may have been in garden grove also...

I am obsessed with finding places I used to go to in my youth....

And on a side note, anyone know the name of the field/school/park/recreation area used in bad news bears "breaking training"??

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 11:50 am   Permalink

I grew up in OC too, OC had some cool parks. Moon park in Costa mesa is still there, I think.

They had cool googie and space age playground equipment all over OC. I lived in Irvine in my late teens, the city built all kinds of cool, elaborate play grounds. I was to old to enjoy them, but, it was a bummer when they started to tear them down for insurance reasons.

Mahalo,
Al

http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-09-02 11:52 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 12:39 pm   Permalink

You wouldn't be thinking of Wild Wild Wet, would you? That one wasn't a public park, but a pay per use attraction.... It was just down the road from Spaghetti Station on Ball Road... Sadly, I've yet to find any photos of this 1970's attraction, but I remember going to it!

http://www.spaghettistation.com/

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 1:23 pm   Permalink

No, this one was just a public park (I think) but a big one, with other recreation areas....perhaps a baseball diamond, concession stand....

The sea-serpent slides is what I remember..oh yeah, on top, where you start the slides was a large jet-fighter mock-up...

Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 2:31 pm   Permalink

I think it was in anaheim. I remember a jet fighter in the play area and I think there was a Carl's jr down the street from the park?

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 2:48 pm   Permalink

al thanks for posting those pics of moon park! those brought back alot of memories for me.

i don't remember ever going to the park with the giant slides but it seems my brother used to talk about it. i'll call him and ask where it is.

as for the park with all the rockets and airplanes. wasn't it right behind or to the side of brookhurst high? i remember that park too it was a huge park! and only a few blocks from my childhood home. i can't remember the name of the street but it is a few blocks south of la palma.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-02 3:21 pm   Permalink

It was outside the OC into Los Angeles called Griffith Park. We used to have birthday parties there - the shaded party areas would have a stage with a statue of King Neptune and we would get our picture taken while sitting in his lap.

They filmed the end of the movie "Short Cuts" there - where Chris Penn and his family are hanging out in the park, then he does something bad to a girl and the earthquake happens.

In my suburb in the OC we had a rocket ship in every park - where you could climb to the top and have a nice view. They took it down when they discovered too many teens going to the top at night to smoke weed. There is still a rocket ship park in Huntington Beach somewhere.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 3:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:
as for the park with all the rockets and airplanes. wasn't it right behind or to the side of brookhurst high? i remember that park too it was a huge park!

That was a cool park. It's Brookhurst Park, we called it Moon Scape Park or Sad Lands. I went to Brookhurst Jr. High and Savannah and frequented the park often, but I never drank or smoked out there - I swear!. Here's a pic of the Moon Scape:

For a cool website on Anaheim go to
http://www.anaheimcolony.com

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-09-02 15:40 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twocentcookie

Posted: 2004-09-02 3:42 pm   Permalink

This has been driving me crazy. I think you are talking about a park in Garden Grove called Atlantis. Years ago it was free, and now to keep the riffraff out they charge $1. They have a serpent slide, a giant whale and all kinds of other magical creatures. If you were really lucky you may have had a birthday party there and been allowed to sit in Poseidon’s throne. The park is at the 22 freeway and Magnolia.

View Profile of twocentcookie Send a personal message to twocentcookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-02 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-02 15:42, twocentcookie wrote:
This has been driving me crazy. I think you are talking about a park in Garden Grove called Atlantis. Years ago it was free, and now to keep the riffraff out they charge $1. They have a serpent slide, a giant whale and all kinds of other magical creatures. If you were really lucky you may have had a birthday party there and been allowed to sit in Poseidon’s throne. The park is at the 22 freeway and Magnolia.

I believe that's the one I'm thinking of as well. My parents always told me later it was Griffith Park, but I see no signs on the website of a large slide or a nautical throne. Grrrrrrrrr.

What else did they lie to me about?? Is Kool-aid safe to drink? Is Adult Quiet Time not written in California's Laws? Is there no Evil Crow watching me from outside the window reporting my bad deeds?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 5:12 pm   Permalink

I think it is Atlantis..I got directions, and will check it our tonight...when I know for sure, will post!!

the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 6:10 pm   Permalink

yeah, brookhurst park is reeeeally really cool. also, just as a footnote, la mirada regional park also used to have a cool rocket jungle gym that was probably twice as tall as the ones in brookhurst park.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-02 7:13 pm   Permalink

The drunken hat wrote:
"La mirada regional park also used to have a cool rocket jungle gym that was probably twice as tall as the ones in brookhurst park."
Dude.
I lived Two blocks away from that rocket when I was a kid. I used to go there all the time. I was thinking about that rocket earlier today, it had a big slide on it. Small world, Huh?
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation