FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Lost park in OC?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Lost park in OC?
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 11:36 am   Permalink

Hey Mick

How about Hillcrest Park in Fullerton. When I was little, we always knew it as "the park with the big hill". Large park, big hills, on a busy street, maybe???

Just a try. I used to take my kids over to Atlantis Park when they were little. I think it's about time I took the grandkids over so "they" can check it out too.

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 12:47 pm   Permalink

I looked at hillcrest...that;s not it either....I am so confused!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 3:00 pm   Permalink

Is there an anaheim/fullerton/buena park Dept. of Parks & Rec. that you could contact? That might help... I'm intregued now too! We used to go to our grandparents church in Fullerton & every so often we'd have a church picnic in one of those parks. I seem to recall one with a towering rocket ship you could climb up into..

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 3:41 pm   Permalink

This place might help.

http://www.anaheimmuseum.com/

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 5:12 pm   Permalink

A co-worker of mine seems to remember a park fitting my description near the 91 freeway, and says the park may not be there anymore....

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:
a big park, with a concession booth, on the east side of a major street. It had two large slides, (side-by-side, so kids could race)

When I was a kid there there was a place on the corner of La Palma & Magnolia (south-east corner) that had a huge slide (you could race your friends down), trampolines, a miniature golf course and Chubby Burger (I used to love playing the KISS Pinball machine there). Could this be the place? It wasn't a park, but matches your description.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mashuka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 8:19 pm   Permalink

I've been there a couple of times as a kid. Here's the address: 9301 Westminster Avenue, Garden Grove, CA 92844-2752. I went there a few years back but couldn't get in. Seems you need a child with you to get in.

View Profile of Mashuka Send a personal message to Mashuka  Email Mashuka Goto the website of Mashuka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 12:40 pm   Permalink

Hi, no..the one you just mentioned is Atlantis park, and it is much smaller. Its a Kids only park.

The park I was talking about was much different. It had a valley, with perhaps the parking lot at the bottom. At the western end, there was a concession window area. Standing in front, looking east, the jet mockup was on the left, with a large slide going down the hill.

I can barely remember any of this, though. I must have been 8 or so years old.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Debbie V.

Posted: 2006-04-27 8:40 pm   Permalink

Hello,

Speaking of La Mirada, I also grew up there and loved "The Rocket". It just so happens that I have posted a photo of this at
http://www.ourlamirada.com/neighborhoods/gardenhill.html .

There has been quite a bit of discussion as to which park - Gardenhill, Windermere or Regional...but I settled on Gardenhill.

Any further information about it would be most welcome. Any photos of La Mirada during the 1955-1980 era are very special to those of us who grew up there.

Debbie V.

View Profile of Debbie V. Send a personal message to Debbie V.  Email Debbie V. Goto the website of Debbie V.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 11:49 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-04-27 20:40, Debbie V. wrote:
Hello,

Speaking of La Mirada, I also grew up there and loved "The Rocket". It just so happens that I have posted a photo of this at

There has been quite a bit of discussion as to which park - Gardenhill, Windermere or Regional...but I settled on Gardenhill.

Any further information about it would be most welcome. Any photos of La Mirada during the 1955-1980 era are very special to those of us who grew up there.

Debbie V.

wasn't that rocket at la mirada regional park? the one with the disc golf course next to the cemetery. as a kid we would go out and play disc golf there. i have very fond memories of the place. i seem to remember there being a huge rocket in a playground between the 2 disc golf courses.

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat 2006-04-27 23:50 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Debbie V.

Posted: 2006-04-28 04:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-27 23:49, the drunken hat wrote:
wasn't that rocket at la mirada regional park? the one with the disc golf course next to the cemetery. as a kid we would go out and play disc golf there. i have very fond memories of the place. i seem to remember there being a huge rocket in a playground between the 2 disc golf courses.

I am starting to believe that either there was more than one rocket or that they moved it from one place to another (as it was eventually "oulaw" park equipment, along with the merry go rounds and anything really FUN like this:
http://www.ourlamirada.com/neighborhoods/igloo.jpg .)

I have several people who are sure the Rocket was at each of the three parks.

Debbie V.

View Profile of Debbie V. Send a personal message to Debbie V.  Email Debbie V. Goto the website of Debbie V.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-28 11:47 am   Permalink

There was definitely more than one rocket. I remember a couple of them at different parks in the San Fernando Valley and one in... I think it was in Thousand Oaks. I very much doubt that these were the same rocket that moved around from park to park, but I suppose it is possible.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 5:14 pm   Permalink

could the Mystery park be way over on the east side of Anaheim
pst the 55 freeway, and south of the 91. almost at Tustin Blvd.
I remeber going to a friends wedding reception, and then a few years later to the Detist over there to have my wisdom teethc removed, and
both places are next to a huge park with long meandering sidewalks
and a perking lot at the bottom. I can't remember seeing long slides, but I'm not saying they weren't there.
There is a Jet in a park on St. College Norht of Ball road.
It's called Boysen park after the guy that invented the Boysenberry, that worked with Walter Knott, of Knott's berry farm.

Hope that helps.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 12:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-07 12:46, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Doctor Z and I both remember being scared by Elmer McCurdy in the "Laff in the Dark" ride at the Pike when we were kids. In its later years, the Pike was everything that give "Carneys" a bad name - dangerous, decrepit rides, scary employees - the story of Elmer McCurdy became quite an urban legend at my highschool when he was discovered to be a real corpse.

I remember this ride well and I even remember Elmer McCurdy. I think he's why I started drinking rum when the story came out.
Thanks Elmer! You served us well. R.I.P.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 12:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-27 20:40, Debbie V. wrote:
Hello,

Debbie V.

Hi Debbie,
I grew up in La Mirada too, and have spent many fun years on that rocket.
I even attended Garbage Hill elementary.
Great photos by the way. I don't have any photos of my childhood. Just of me at Tiki bars.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation