FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Anybody out there a travel essay enthusiast?
Anybody out there a travel essay enthusiast?
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 08:24 am   Permalink

There were some great books written in the '20s and '30s in a sort of "do it yourself" around the world genre, and there are some good ones now, although some stinkers too...many of the new ones have a kooky premise, and that's it ("hitchhiking around Ireland with a refrigerator", "Traveling to Rio in a hearse"...)

Anybody have any toothsome reads?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 08:37 am   Permalink

SIX YEARS IN THE MALAY JUNGLE by Carveth Wells (1924) is fascinating.

Anything by Paul Theroux is brilliant (& scathing)!

Michener's IBERIA, a collection of essays about his experiences in spain during the 60's, is one of my all time faves & STILL a relevant travelguide!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 2:41 pm   Permalink

Bill Bryson has written some really funny stuff-I'd recommend "A Walk in the Woods" especially.He tells about hiking the Appalachian Trail,and he peppers his narrative with some fascinating facts about the trail and region.He's very entertaining.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 2:42 pm   Permalink

Oh,I forgot-one of the best is "Travels" by Michael Crichton.One of my favorites.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 6:44 pm   Permalink

"I Married Adventure" by Osa Johnson (copyright 1940) is one of my favorite African safari/South Seas/Borneo non-fiction books. The Johnsons contributed to projects for the American Museum of Natural History. Martin Johnson was a photographer, and the book has many of his photos featuring boats and buildings made with thatched roofing, and wildlife of Africa and Borneo. They have bouts of "safari fever" (malaria), run low on funds, risk loads of film being exposed,and have George Eastman (their photography sponsor) along on several adventures.

Another book that isn't exactly travel essay, but biography is "Among the Stone Giants: The Life of Katherine Routledge and Her Remarkable Expedition to Easter Island".(2003)

It's by Jo Anne Van Tilberg, who is an archaeologist, described in the author bio as, "The contemporary world's leading authority on the Easter Island statues." The book is as much about Routledge's upbringing (daughter of Sir Robert Pease, big-game hunter.) and manic/schizophrenic episodes as her effect on the people of Rapa Nui, and how she tried to communicate with them. Her husband seemed to cause resentment and revolt with the natives, as well as their own crew. Interesting chapters about the moai, and the Rapa Nui people's regard of Katherine and her interest in the statues.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 6:50 pm   Permalink

Dr. Van Tilburg's works are excellent. I have her tome, Easter Island.

Are there any other more contemporary travelouges.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 7:45 pm   Permalink

The Johnson's are wonderful- just finished "4 years in paradise"...the photos really made that book alive. I just found out there is a museum of thier lives in Kansas.

Theroux sells himself along side Bruce Chatwin (mostly wrote in the 1980s) who is also a fine writer, and less smug.

Blair Bros' "Ring of Fire" (late 1980s) was hard to put down once started.

"Around the world on Two Wheels" by Robert Fulton was really inviting...(Traveling alone around the world in the 1930s.)

Bill Bryson once wrote that the phrase "What-Ever" is Californian for F-off".

Not a day goes by that I don't think of that.

This is really fun!
Creating christmas list from these.

[ This Message was edited by: Gigantalope on 2004-09-03 19:55 ]

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 12:13 am   Permalink

I suggest the following books ...

1) The Granta Book of Travel- This is a collection of travel essays that appeared in the literary journal 'Granta' which always features top-notch writing. This bookincludes essays by Bill Bryson, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Paul Theroux, Salman Rushdie, Martha Gelhorn, and lots more. You can read the introduction here .....
http://www.granta.com/books/chapters/26

2) 'A Fez of the Heart: Travels Around Turkey in Search of a Hat' by Jeremy Seal. You will learn more about the fez here than any other book, and also a good description of the ongoing struggle that Turkey has between finding the right balance between the more traditional Islam culture and the more modern, secular world. A fun and very good read.

3. 'The Farm on the River of Emeralds' by Moritz Thomson. This one is out of print, but worth tracking down. It is perhaps the favorite of all the books I have read in my life - and I have read many. An older man, in his 50's, volunteers for the Peace Corps in Ecuador. When his volunteer stint is done, he decides to stay in Ecuador, and tries to eke out a living by farming in the tropical climate ... its a jungle out there, that's for sure.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 7:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-09-03 19:45, Gigantalope wrote:

Bill Bryson once wrote that the phrase "What-Ever" is Californian for F-off".

Mahalo Gigantalope & verntikI.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 09:29 am   Permalink

"Blue Latitudes: Boldly Going Where Captain Cook has Gone Before" Traveling around the Pacific in the foot steps of Captain Cook, visiting Tahiti & other Polynesian islands, New Zealand, Australia, Tonga, Alaska & Hawaii.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laurathurston

Posted: 2014-08-01 03:09 am   Permalink

Essay writing is anything where the purpose is to express thoughts, feelings and emotions rather than to simply convey information. There are various factors concerned in irritating this issue such as a few students are doing some part time jobs and some ones are not good in writing. Inexpensive essay writing service ensures that you get live support from dissertation writing experts.

View Profile of laurathurston Send a personal message to laurathurston      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation