[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Langerman's Luau Mug - Family emails added
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Langerman's Luau Mug - Family emails added
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 9:16 pm   Permalink

Interesting variation of the OMC Moai design.

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo 2008-02-07 05:01 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 10:55 pm   Permalink

This is the first one like it I've seen.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 03:42 am   Permalink

Ooooh, what a find! Langermann's Luau was a really cool spot, from what I have seen on postcards and menus. The family had two or three Polynesian restaurants in different towns, a history worthy to look into. They were working with Oceanic Arts, Bob and Leroy might know more!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-04 6:23 pm   Permalink

Thats an interesting version of the moai mug, badmojo, thanks for posting that photo. I've never seen that eyebrow thing before. Here's a little bit of info on Langerman's Luau, from a few menus that I have:

It was located at 915 Montgomery Ave., in Narberth, PA ( there was another location, for take out and catering, at Stenton Ave & Washington Lane). Here's a drink menu, dated 1960 :

The inside of the menu features many of their drinks:

There's a small photo showing a view of the Hukilau Bar ( which is mentioned on another menu). There's a nice Hawaiian mural opposite the bar, looking very much like Eugene Savage's "Festival of the Sea" :

Another photo features a few drinks, yet the moai mug is not pictured :

There are some of the usual drink names, then a few odd ones :

I think this menu is the only one I've seen with hula dolls incorporated in a photo of tropical drinks:

Also, here is a different moai mug from there :

I am curious about the names of the other Langerman Polynesian restaurants in other towns, thanks for that info, bigbrotiki.

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2004-09-04 18:24 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-05 05:07 am   Permalink

Oh my god, how hilarious, the menu text really kills me...
That's why I love Polynesian Pop, always something new to discover, like that special Moai mold from Otagiri, never seen another mug like it.
And "BALI HAI- If you can't handle: BALI-LO"
superseeds my other favourite twisting of the concept, from Herman the German's home bar:
"Bar-I-Hai"

Mimi, have no info on the the other locations with me, must ask OA. BTW, Naomi brought me my mail to Berlin, thanks for the xeroxes!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-05 10:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-05 05:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
from Herman the German's home bar:
"Bar-I-Hai"

German, ...or Japanese?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-07 5:00 pm   Permalink

"Mommy, I Gotta Make a Tinkle" ?!

Wow- that's the worst drink name ever.

And ordering that isn't going to impress the lady at the next barstool very much.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 8:46 pm   Permalink

I have a friend who has that crazy Moai mug, we could never figure out what that was supposed to be on his forhead. We have the Langerman's Moai salt and pepper with shoulders, but I've never seen the companion mug. There is always some undiscovered treasure out there isn't there?

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 11:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Puamana!
Welcome back stranger, and thanks for posting that.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-10 11:59 pm   Permalink

great menu!
what amazes me most, is the non-alcoholic drinks are only 25 cents less that boozy ones!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 8:16 pm   Permalink

This is really exciting!

I've been hunting for PA Tiki remnants. This is from right outside Philadelphia, so next time we're up that way we have some exploring to do.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-14 10:15 pm   Permalink

Email I received.

"This tiki is from my parent's restaurant in Narberth, PA. (30 min. outside of Philly) The drink was called a "Suffering Bastard" and was served with a backscratcher in it. The restaurant was open from about 1959-1968. The tapa paper behind the mug was from a roll in the gift shop. I have another mug from the bar. My father filled the place with items from the islands after his stint in the South Pacific during the war. He will be thrilled to know one of his mugs is still out there.
Thanks,Patty Langerman"

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo 2008-02-06 20:44 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 6:14 pm   Permalink

Email I received.

"Hi,

I am Harry Langerman's grandson and still live in the Philadelphia area. Could you tell me where you purchased these items? Also could you ask "Puamana" where he purchased his items? My mother has many of pieces from the restaurant but I was curious where you all got them from.

Thanks

Daniel Schram"

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo 2008-02-06 20:46 ]

puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 8:02 pm   Permalink

badmojo, that's great ! Thanks so much for posting that !

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 10:01 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo 2006-03-31 20:44 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation