[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » mug safety /lead tests
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
mug safety /lead tests
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-29 1:05 pm   Permalink

A good old thread with some great info. I was wondering if anyione had done any mug tests and what their results were. It might be helpful to post the info for specific types of mugs.(Paul Marshal monkey mug, etc.)

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-29 2:05 pm   Permalink

I drank a Planters Punch from one of Chiki Tiki Diablo's mugs last weekend -- and I got totally wasted.... damn that lead.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-30 12:56 am   Permalink

Dem mugs is lead free inside. Pop, you just a light-weight. Don't hate...

[ This Message was edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-08-30 00:58 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-01 06:42 am   Permalink

King has some good info there on lead. The only thing I would add is that it is incredibly difficult to formulate a durable glaze wihtout lead compared to one with it. Consequently, major glaze manufacturers still use it. They pay $$thousands$$ every month for testing, testing, and more testing to make sure they don't get busted by the FDA or EPA. Lead is in very small amounts in just about any commercial plate, bowl, mug you own.
My philosophy is to not worry about it too much. These guidlines have been around for a short time and my great-grandmother just died last year at the age of 104, not due to lead exposure. And we know she owned some leaded plates in her time...

BTW.. if a small producer tells you that there's no lead, see if they make their own glaze. If so, then they are telling the truth because we can't afford expensive testing (or litigation !!), so we just don't keep lead in the studio. Simple.

[ This Message was edited by: Saint-Thomas on 2003-09-01 06:43 ]

View Profile of Saint-Thomas Send a personal message to Saint-Thomas  Email Saint-Thomas Goto the website of Saint-Thomas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-01 07:26 am   Permalink

Nowdays, I'd be more worried about the smog that comes from the truck that delivers the mug and the rum and the fruit and the.....you know, that brown shit in the air we breathe everyday and night. That's whats killing us off!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spycygrl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-10 6:10 pm   Permalink

I, too, have been wondering about these vintage mugs and whether I should be imbibing from them. I used to work for Williams-Sonoma in the product information dept where we did lead testing on all products before they would be carried by WS. I recommend getting the "swabs" someone else posted about and just checking the lead levels before drinking out of any of your vintage tikis. Especially because acidic foods (like citrus juices) can increase the amount of lead leached from the glaze. Also be wary of those mugs which have crazing on the interior surface.

However, it should be noted that those primarily at risk from increased lead levels are children (who shouldn't be drinking those rum cocktails anyway), the elderly and those with compromised immune systems. In addition, women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant are at a much higher risk because of passage of the lead levels onto the fetus.

For most healthy adults who have the occasional mai tai out of their favorite tiki, even a heightened lead level will probably never lead to illness.

Back at WS, the biggest culprits were:
1) Earthenware from Mexico
2) Green glazes with a "metallic" sheen
3) Mustard-colored glazes

Swabs:
http://www.leadcheck.com/lead-summary.shtml#swab

View Profile of spycygrl Send a personal message to spycygrl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 5:02 pm   Permalink

Sorry to revisit such an old topic, but I recently tested all of my tiki mugs for lead using the LeadCheck swabs. The only positive result was my Don the Beachcomber vintage long neck mug, but it was a definite hit—to the point where I'll likely wash my hands any time I handle the mug.

If you plan to drink out of your vintage mugs it would be strongly advised to test them first.

Edit: Actually, one of the other swabs is now starting to turn pink. It looks as if something else contains lead chromate. I have some suspicions but will post more once I confirm.

Edit 2: It was the design on a vintage Honi Honi cup.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-07-16 17:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-07-16 17:13 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 08:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-16 17:02, TikiTacky wrote:
Sorry to revisit such an old topic,

Yeahno. No need to be sorry. This is a very legitimate bump of an old topic. Thanks for the input. I may give that a try considering there's no mug of mine I don't drink out of. Mahalo.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 08:47 am   Permalink

It's a good thread to bring up again.
Tiki King posted some good information. Lead doesn't have a safety threshold. Tiny amounts of the material can damage internal organs and the central nervous system.
You also can't flush it out of your system, not matter what Hollywood cleansing scams tell you. Lead just keeps building up in your system.
Enough on that cheery subject!

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

Here's an interesting article: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/04/several-months-ago-gerald-omalley/#.Uebn4j2ARAo

"The results of the [2010] study were shocking. O’Malley and his fellow researchers found that 22 out of the 87 items purchased from stores within the Chinatown district, approximately 25 percent, returned positive results for lead. In comparison, 5 out of the 49 items purchased in stores in neighborhoods outside of Chinatown, or 10 percent, contained lead. "

"O’Malley performed additional tests on 25 of the ceramic pieces that tested positive for lead contamination to establish how high the levels, in fact, were and to what extent the lead could leach into food placed in the items to later be consumed. Researchers noted that three plates and two spoons were found to be leaching lead in quantities that significantly exceeded the levels permitted by FDA. Specifically, one of the ceramic plates tested leached lead at 145 parts per million, a rate far beyond the limit of 2 parts per million imposed by FDA."

The FDA imposed limits on lead in 1971, but before that there really weren't any limits. Any mugs made before 1970 (hah!) should be considered suspect.

More information available here: http://www.ceh.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=435&Itemid=274

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2013-07-17 13:30 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 10:00 am   Permalink

AW shoot!
So now I'm going to have to test all my vintage mugs.
There I was blissfully ignoring the threat until it was pointed out
After a quick run through of Ooga Mooga I see at least 150 individual items that I should check!
(Plus, who knows how up to date my collection is on there! I always seem to over look a few.)
The best pricing I could find BTW is on Amazon, 48 swaps for $95.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-051141936857-LeadCheck-Swabs-48-Pack/dp/B0051VAS1Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1374685064&sr=1-1&keywords=lead+check+swabs
Great, $2 per mug for a couple hundred mugs, but at least I'll have piece of mind!

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 11:37 am   Permalink

Be sure to let us know your results!

tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-24 8:53 pm   Permalink

Now my hot sauce contains lead too! I've eaten 3 of the 4 brands mentioned many, many times over the years.
www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Study-Finds-Dangerous-Levels-of-Lead-in-Hot-Sauces-From-Mexico-216629201.html

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-24 10:00, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Great, $2 per mug for a couple hundred mugs, but at least I'll have piece of mind!

Do you use all of your vintage mugs? Curious why you would test them all. Indeed, please post results. This never crossed my mind, then again, I don't really use my vintage mugs in battle.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-25 12:50 pm   Permalink

Oh no! Not lead in hot sauce too! El Yucateca makes some decent sauces. Boo!

I know that there is no lead in my hot sauce, so I'll just have to make sure I have it on me always. Tastes better anyway...

Back to mugs - I usually use newer mugs for my drinks, those vintage ones tend to cost more so I don't want to break them. Too bad about the DTB mug. I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it is good knowledge to have.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation