FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Favorite sipping rum (accompanied by a cigar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Favorite sipping rum (accompanied by a cigar)
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 2:01 pm   Permalink

I've done a search and, though there are several posts discussing favorite rums, I couldn't find anything specifically about high quality "sipping" rums. I have always enjoyed a good snifter of cognac with a cigar, but am starting to experiment with good aged rums. So far, I've had good results with Appleton Estate and Cruzan Single Barrel. This weekend, I think I'll try El Dorado 12 year old Demerara.
Any other suggestions?

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 08:56 am   Permalink

Anyone try either of these?

Cohiba Rum

or

Montecristo Rum

Although I haven't tried either with a smoke, it seems alittle obvious to try 'em. Right?

[ This Message was edited by: tikimug on 2004-09-08 08:57 ]

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 09:27 am   Permalink

While they may be decent rums, I've tried some of the cognacs and single malt scotches that were marketed to profit from the surge in cigar popularity to be pretty mediocre and overpriced- simply a merketing gimmick. I plan to give those a try, but they're not at the top of my list. Anybody out there who tried them already?

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-08 09:40 am   Permalink

Barbancourt 15 year, Pyrat XO Reserve, Noa Noa Rhum Brun (Tahitian) are all great. cognac like sipping rums and go great with a cigar. I have not tried the Montecristo or Cohiba rums yet, but if the rums are anywhere near as good as the cigars are they must be spectacular. If the cohiba rum came with the redhead I'd drop everything and go get some today.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2004-09-08 10:57 am   Permalink

Sign me up!

I've never thought of pairing a cigar with rum - I stick to Oban or Bushmills. If it were me I would especially infuse a decent rum with pineapple and have it in a hi-ball (or lo-ball?) on ice.

Please, for the love of god, don't try a "rum-infused" or "rum-flavored" cigar.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 11:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-08 10:57, dangergirl299 wrote:
Sign me up!

I've never thought of pairing a cigar with rum - I stick to Oban or Bushmills. If it were me I would especially infuse a decent rum with pineapple and have it in a hi-ball (or lo-ball?) on ice.

Please, for the love of god, don't try a "rum-infused" or "rum-flavored" cigar.

Oban is my absolute favorite single malt. Infused cigars of any kind are to be avoided.

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-08 09:40, PiPhiRho wrote:
Barbancourt 15 year, Pyrat XO Reserve, Noa Noa Rhum Brun (Tahitian) are all great. cognac like sipping rums and go great with a cigar. I have not tried the Montecristo or Cohiba rums yet, but if the rums are anywhere near as good as the cigars are they must be spectacular. If the cohiba rum came with the redhead I'd drop everything and go get some today.

Mmmmmmm...Barbancourt.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 11:42 am   Permalink

Cohiba and Montecristo - neither is worth the money really.

For sipping - PyratXO is awesome but my favorite is Ron Pampero Anniversario - the one in the leather pouch.

Plantation (any country) is terrific for sipping as well.

This Friday - we're tasting 7 year Flor De Cana, Ron Zacapa Cent., Ron Pampero and Cruzan single.

One of these days I'll post our crew's tasting journals we've been keeping for 3 years now.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2004-09-08 6:05 pm   Permalink

I agree with Pablus' rec of Ron Pampero Anniversario. Other favorites for sipping are Ron Zacapo Centenario and Zaya. It also depends on the time of day. I prefer sweeter rums for after dinner sipping over dryer rums like Barbancourt 15-year, which are a little better before a meal.

[ This Message was edited by: thejab on 2004-09-09 14:07 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 7:37 pm   Permalink

I can't sip rum. It's a problem. Or, so I'm told.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-08 10:02 pm   Permalink

Haven't had the Montecristo (can't afford it) but I do have the Cohiba" It's $11 a bottle, which should tell you that it's no good for sippin'

Zaya was on sale at Hi-Times on ITD! Woo Hoo! Victory!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lissette EsQui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-08 10:34 pm   Permalink

I just tried RedRum's "VooDoo" Spiced Rum and I must say it was pretty good. Plus it came in a cool bottle!

View Profile of Lissette EsQui Send a personal message to Lissette EsQui  Goto the website of Lissette EsQui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-09 9:33 pm   Permalink

Try the plantation rums. I had a long talk with my liquor store owner who is very knowledgable. A rum snob maybe even. The plantation rums are his top pick. He gave me the whole history of these rums, which I won't try to recount. $40 a bottle, but I would tend to think this guy knows his stuff. I have never heard anyone who knew as much as he did.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 06:56 am   Permalink

Come to think of it, I tried a planatation rum a while ago, and it was very good. I think it was from Barbados.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 9:51 pm   Permalink

Santa Teresa 1796. Mighty fine sipping rum. Almost tastes like a top drawer bourbon. Very nice.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation