[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai Pie
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mai Tai Pie
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 09:51 am   Permalink

It came out with tart tones (fresh citrus) and sweet tones (the syrups) and just the right creamy taste that didn't overpower. And the recipe went together very easily (I used a Kitchenaid).

The recipe I wrote up has a couple of changes I felt would make the pie "set-up" better. I loved the almond crust(only change would be to crush the sliced almonds first, so it laid a tighter crust).

I would definitely make it again (and again and again...), until perfected. This might become my signature pie!

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-27 3:19 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-03-27 00:24, TikiSan wrote:
Quote:
Did it taste like a Mai Tai?

I think the fact I used dark rum, and possibly because of the creamy aspect, it didn't taste "just like" a Mai Tai, but it did inspire a Mai Tai taste (if that makes sense). It had an element that makes up a good cocktail, the balance between sweet and tart.

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-03-27 15:20 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Angry Idol
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-31 4:19 pm   Permalink

One idea for the crust might be to crush up some almond biscotti, mixed with cocoanut. This might give a firmer, more traditional crust, but with the right flavors.

Otherwise, yours looks mighty tasty.

Angry Idol

View Profile of Angry Idol Send a personal message to Angry Idol  Email Angry Idol     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 5:25 pm   Permalink

Oh, almond biscotti; that's a great idea! The crust is definitely part that needs work still. That, and the consistency of the filling. I need to stiffen it up, but I'd like to find a thickener that's veg-friendly.

54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-01 05:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-31 17:25, Haole'akamai wrote:
Oh, almond biscotti; that's a great idea! The crust is definitely part that needs work still. That, and the consistency of the filling. I need to stiffen it up, but I'd like to find a thickener that's veg-friendly.

Almond biscotti = the 'amaretti' that I suggested in my earlier post.

It must have got lost in translation!
From EU/Italian-'English English' to 'American English'-Italian

I'm convinced these will work perfectly and the addition of coconut would be really nice!

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JanetMermaid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-05 9:08 pm   Permalink

How much alcohol is actually left after cooling for 6 hours? My husband doesn't drink and I'd sure like to make this pie for us. It would be a shame to make it and he couldn't have any.

View Profile of JanetMermaid Send a personal message to JanetMermaid  Goto the website of JanetMermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-05 21:08, JanetMermaid wrote:
How much alcohol is actually left after cooling for 6 hours? My husband doesn't drink and I'd sure like to make this pie for us. It would be a shame to make it and he couldn't have any.

Unfortunately, even with only using the 1/4 cup (and 2 TBS), there's still alcohol in it. So, if he's a strict tea-totaller, the pie is a no-no. BUT I have seen rum-FLAVORED syrups on the market, so you could try that (and orange juice instead of orange liqueuer?) instead. If you do make a non-alcoholic version, make sure to post about it.

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-20 5:59 pm   Permalink

Made the pie again and a couple of tablespoons of tapioca starch did the trick with "setting up" the filling! Crushing the almonds (and a little almond meal) made the crust work great, too. WooT!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation