FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My first attempt - constructive criticism wanted
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My first attempt - constructive criticism wanted
Tikibus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-08 4:42 pm   Permalink

First of all...I am a forum newbie. Second...I did not come to TC with thoughts of carving.
Third...I am totally inspired by the TC vets and more so by the first attempters that proudly displayed their first here on the forum.

So I decided to give it a try. I am decorating the interior of my VW camper with a tiki theme. Here is my personal contribution to accompany the carvings I have purchased. Let me know what you think cause I really enjoyed making this. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: Tikibus on 2004-09-08 16:43 ]

View Profile of Tikibus Send a personal message to Tikibus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 4:45 pm   Permalink

if that's a first, you need to keep going! that is great looking for a first.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 4:50 pm   Permalink

nice! got any pics of yr van's interior?

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 5:19 pm   Permalink

Man, you kick ass if that's your first attempt. Great work. I'd love to see some pics of the bus.

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 5:21 pm   Permalink

WOW, I wish my first turned out that good. How large is it? Wheres it going on the bus? What year is the bus? Please show us more.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hehena Haole
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-08 5:27 pm   Permalink

Man, if thats your first attempt, Im truly inspired. Excellent job. Im very impressed.
Gotta see the pics of the bus now.

I know I will be trying some carving for certain.

View Profile of Hehena Haole Send a personal message to Hehena Haole  Email Hehena Haole     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 5:59 pm   Permalink

I love it! What year/model is your VW? I had a '76 lime green automatic popup camper for a few years, I'd love to replace it with simular somedayand Tiki it up.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikibus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-08 6:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the responses. It means alot. The tiki is a tad smaller than a foot ball. The peice of wood was obtained from an old shop project that was never completed. It was already in that oval shape. The face design was something that I just sketched on the wood (any resemblence to other artist's designs is purely unitentional). I also did not use a single chisel, it was completely done with a dremel tool and some different bits. Oh yeah a little elbow grease in the sanding process.

Funny there is as much interest the VW camper. I'll post a link to the some camper pics soon. Oh yeah...its a 78 Champagne Edition with a pop up and full camper interior.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikibus on 2004-09-08 18:07 ]

View Profile of Tikibus Send a personal message to Tikibus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 6:50 pm   Permalink

Looks like the 20th, not the first.

Some feedbacks, definitely not criticism, would be to make the teeth size more balanced.

What does the symbol on the forehead represent?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quit your day job.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 7:23 pm   Permalink

looks like a tiki madball with a little beastie boy influence.

awesome first carving...don't stop there - keep 'em coming!!!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikibus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-08 8:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback. Christiki - I agree about the teeth. They are a little large and out of balance ,however, I'm happy with the way they turned out in form. The forehead was empty and I was going to do a pineapple like many tikis I have seen. But the space seemed a little small. Since the tiki is for my VW, I figured I would try a VW logo. Not traditional but a little whimsical. I guess he is the VW tiki warding off the gremlins that like to creep into those old air cooled engines.

I can't wait to start on another larger tiki!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 9:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-09-08 20:05, Tikibus wrote:

Since the tiki is for my VW, I figured I would try a VW logo.

I like the idea, mana to protect your ride on the road.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongo

Posted: 2004-09-08 10:12 pm   Permalink

Hideous.

Being the first is not an excuse, it's merely a warning.

View Profile of Chongo Send a personal message to Chongo  Email Chongo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 10:23 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-08 23:33 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation