FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Polynesian Resort Tiki Mug - Insight?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Polynesian Resort Tiki Mug - Insight?
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 1:16 pm   Permalink

I saw this mug posted on ebay and was wondering if it is still available (manufactured) for purchase or is of the vintage variety. I haven't seen it in my travels (possibly being in CA doesn't help) and I think it's prety cool. I would love to add one to my collection. Any info would be appreciated....Thanks

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 2:37 pm   Permalink

Hey Matt, I am no expert, but I was just at the Polynesian resort with my wife earlier this year. I picked up a Polynesian resort signiture mug, but it is the old clear glass 2 faced mug everyone has. I think I am right in saying that the one here is vintage from long ago. They also did sell the mugs from the Tiki Farm 4 pak, and the ceramic Tiki Farm coasters, but I did not see this mug at all. There was alot of Oceanic Arts weapons, masks, and paddels on the walls though. They have a restaurant upstairs with many huge tikis representing many islands in Polynesia, but we didn't get a chance to eat there.
Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 2:56 pm   Permalink

Yep, that's an old one, not made anymore. It could be called the "original" Pele mug, cause that's where the design hails from. But it is so far off, not very well conceived, in my opinion.
Still, for the collector of rare odd mugs, this is a prize.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 3:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, I'll now make it my mission in life to obtain one!

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 8:52 pm   Permalink

Hmmm... I don't think it's super-old, judging by the logo on the back. The really old stuff is marked "Polynesian Village." I wish I could remember when the name changed -- maybe the mid-'80s or early '90s.

But still, it's the first time I've even seen that guy!

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 9:26 pm   Permalink

I heard through the grapevine that these mugs are back now, and they're using (selling?) them at the WDW Polynesian Resort in the restaurant and bars.

I havent gone and checked it out yet in person, but I find it oddly "coincidental" that this mug is suddenly up on Ebay, when it used to not come up very often.. hmmm

I have an original one, and it says "village" not "resort" which also gives me a fishy feeling

anybody know the scoop? Is this a new Tiki Farm repro by chance?

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 10:18 pm   Permalink

Look at the shadow below the word "Resort"
Would a modern robotic glazer make that mistake? I wouldn't know, I have never been in ceramics.
Just a thought.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 11:19 pm   Permalink

Alohaz,
It's not ours. As far as lidded mugs to though, there is another run going on next year for the Bali Hai in San Diego and a few others!
Mahaloz!
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RIBEERGUY
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-17 09:29 am   Permalink

"Look at the shadow below the word "Resort"
Would a modern robotic glazer make that mistake? I wouldn't know, I have never been in ceramics.
Just a thought."

You mean the additional word "resort"? If so, that's the photo. There's a double image there, which can be seen in the ear and the grout on the tile.

View Profile of RIBEERGUY Send a personal message to RIBEERGUY      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-17 09:29, RIBEERGUY wrote:
You mean the additional word "resort"? If so, that's the photo. There's a double image there, which can be seen in the ear and the grout on the tile.

You're absolutely right.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 10:51 pm   Permalink

Yeah, there's def a double image there.

The whole thing seems fishy to me- I might run over to WDW this week and try and find those new mugs

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 10:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-17 22:51, fatuhiva wrote:
Yeah, there's def a double image there.

The whole thing seems fishy to me- I might run over to WDW this week and try and find those new mugs

Fatuhiva - If they have any let me know, I'd gladly pay you for one...

Larry Lava
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-18 02:19 am   Permalink

We went to the Polynesian Resort in August and spent hours taking pictures of tikis and looking for tiki stuff to buy there. We saw nothing for purchase that was half as cool as that mug.

View Profile of Larry Lava Send a personal message to Larry Lava      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gatorjwade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-18 04:19 am   Permalink

Howdy! If you could get/send one for me that'd be GREAT too! I'd gladly chip in some add'l for your troubles.

View Profile of gatorjwade Send a personal message to gatorjwade  Email gatorjwade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Island Savage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-21 8:28 pm   Permalink

Well this thing nearly doubled it's selling price in the last 2 hours......the winning bidder outbid Dan (danlovestikis) by $5.00 in the last 10 seconds......that must have been dissapointing....or maybe a relief?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2270257184

View Profile of Island Savage Send a personal message to Island Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation