FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Polynesian Resort Tiki Mug - Insight?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Polynesian Resort Tiki Mug - Insight?
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 8:45 pm   Permalink

Wow. $417 and change.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 11:48 pm   Permalink

well, I got the scoop on the "repro" of this mug. My friend had it all wrong.. they had one at the bar or something sitting there *not* for sale, but they do have "tiki mugs" for sale in the gift shop- they way he originally told it to me was- "hey i saw one of those at disney, and they sell them in the gift shop too!" or something to that effect. It wasn't until I grilled him hard on it that I realized he was getting things mixed up ...so that one's gotta be the real deal.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 11:38 pm   Permalink

Good lord in heaven -- I thought the yellow glass bamboo glass was rare, or the hurricane style glass with the opening year "boat in front of the contemporary and castle" graphic were rare, but this takes the cake.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 3:21 pm   Permalink

Holy Mickey & Minnie!
I have one of these, and it is in the Book of Tiki. The face looks like the image of Kon-Tiki on Thor's balsa raft. I think they are pretty rare. I found mine at an an antique store two years ago.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 08:43 am   Permalink

Update --

That form of the logo was used until sometime around the year 2000-2001. The mug may, in fact, not be that old.

With any luck, the unwashed masses are just starting to get sick of having them now and we'll see a flood of them in the market soon.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 10:55 am   Permalink

Looks like I'm onto something -- two more of them just showed up on eBay, probably trying to cash in after the first one went for so much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2272100715&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1380&item=3932825210&rd=1

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation