advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki S.S. Mariposa Tiki
S.S. Mariposa Tiki
toywithtony

Posted: 2004-09-17 10:10 am   Permalink

I found this incredible Tiki at the Goodwill in Oahu. It was given out to the guests of the S.S. Mariposa, which was the name of one of the ships of the Matson Cruise Line. The back has a metal tag that reads: S.S. Mariposa, First Sailing 1956--and next to that is a tiki! Never seen one of these before. This made my trip!

[ This Message was edited by: toywithtony on 2004-09-17 10:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: toywithtony on 2004-09-17 10:27 ]

View Profile of toywithtony Send a personal message to toywithtony  Email toywithtony Goto the website of toywithtony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 11:28 am   Permalink

if you ever want to part with it, please email me, our dog(an akita) is named mariposa, and she always sleeps in our tiki room!!!.....anyway, great find, now i must search out one!!!!....mahalo for the pics too, at least i know what im looking for...

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-17 11:09 pm   Permalink

I also have that piece. It is one of my favorites as it is the first Tiki item I found in the mid 90s that started our quest. I saw one at Da Show a couple years ago and one on ebay last year, so they are out there. S.S. Mariposa plied the waters of Hawaii and Tahiti.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 11:25 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2007-11-20 16:05 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 01:11 am   Permalink

I have seen them for the SS. Monterey too, but I'm not sure about the other Matson Line ships.

I have one too, but I don't remember if its 1957 or 56 and I also don't remember if i9t the monterey or the mariposa. Franco has one too, whichever one I don't have.

Few years back I saw one go on ebay for $200+ but it must have been a fluke since I have seen them go for as cheap as $20 since then.

nice tiki, nice find.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
notiki4me

Posted: 2008-01-22 6:50 pm   Permalink

I was looking on the web trying to figure out what to do with two tikis I have that are the same as the ones you are talking about (S.S. Mariposa, first sailing 1956). My grandparents were on that ship, but, not being a collector and since this is my year of eliminating excess, I want to get rid of them. I would rather send them to somebody who would like them, then just give them to Goodwill. So, let me know if you are interested. They are free and I'll even pay for postage to give them a good home.

View Profile of notiki4me Send a personal message to notiki4me      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 7:51 pm   Permalink

Oh well, ...I promised myself to not spend any money on Tiki items until my next job starts this year.

Here is my chance to keep my promise to myself AND still get something Tiki that I don't have in my collection yet!

If this is not a prank, I can promise you they will find a good home in my house, a very good home, indeed!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-22 19:52 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 10:18 pm   Permalink

Hi Notiki...
If you're still parting with these pieces I would be more than happy (and very appreciative) to take one off your hands.
I guarantee it will be happy in its new home.
Please check your personal messages.
Aloha!

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 11:02 pm   Permalink

Ahoy!

That's a really nice thing to do NoTiki.. They will surely find good homes with anyone here on TC.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation