Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The color of my mai tais
The color of my mai tais
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-20 5:37 pm   Permalink

Why is it that whenever I make a mai tai at home they never look the same color as mai tais I see in pictures? The ones I'm used to seeing are light brown/amber in color. Mine always look like this:

I use the recipe listed in Grog Log exactly as it's written with these ingredients (lime not shown):

So what am I doing wrong? Although very tasty, it never looks like the pictures I see. Much mahalos for some mai tai expertise.

[ This Message was edited by: Juno on 2004-09-20 17:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Juno on 2004-09-20 17:39 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 07:47 am   Permalink

Juno,

Try using Myers instead of the Appleton. It's much darker and ought to bring the color around. Myers flavor is stronger too, so it stands up to the lime better (IMO).

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 3:37 pm   Permalink

You've got the recipe right, and yours looks the way mine do, as well as the ones I've had in the Chicago Trader Vic's (from what I can remember).

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 5:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Try using Myers instead of the Appleton.

Thanks, that made a big difference. I didn't think Myers was any darker than Appleton.

Quote:
You've got the recipe right, and yours looks the way mine do, as well as the ones I've had in the Chicago Trader Vic's (from what I can remember).

Unfortunately I live in the Dallas area and have never been inside a Trader Vics. The only "authentic" mai tai's I've ever had (other than my own) was the bar at the Polynesian Village in Orlando and at the hotel we stayed at on Maui. I'm going to NYC in October and hope to get to Waikiki Wally's and give theirs a try.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 09:26 am   Permalink

Don't forget to post when you're going to be in NYC so we can get the NYC chapter of TC to give you a big aloha.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:28 pm   Permalink

Looks like your brand of Orgeat Syrup may be the culprit. I use a clear brand and I get the right color everytime. I have my own Mai-Tai recipe.

2oz Myers Dark Rum
1oz of either Haitian or Brazilian Rum (made directly from Sugar Cane as a substitute for St.James Martinique Rum which is expensive)
1oz of Orange Curacao
dash of orgeat syrup
1/2 oz. of Roses sweetened lime juice or, better yet, 1/2 oz. of Key Lime bottled juice if you can get it.
dash of grenadine.
Shake with crushed ice. Enjoy.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Rick on 2004-09-30 13:30 ]

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation