FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My fresh palm logs are molding?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
My fresh palm logs are molding?
tikifreak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 07:43 am   Permalink

Benz you are correct sir'.....just the rotten ones do.

[ This Message was edited by: tikifreak on 2005-01-18 07:43 ]

View Profile of tikifreak Send a personal message to tikifreak  Email tikifreak Goto the website of tikifreak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 12:30 pm   Permalink

OK, I have successfully used the search option to avoid creating a new thread, and in the process brought an old thread back from the grave! Yay for me.

Anyway, I am experiencing mold issues mainly on the faces of the tikis I've already carved, and pretty much nowhere else. So far I have not put anything on them. I put them in the sun and it stops.

Should I spray some kind of polyurethane sealer or something on them when they're done to avoid this?

It rains like hell here just about every afternoon and I don't know what is worse...leaving them out in the weather to constantly be soaked & then sun-baked every day,....or keep them in the garage out of the sun where it's kinda damp & they get all moldy.

After reading this thread I am still a little confused as to exactly what parts of the log I should seal, and with what.

[ This Message was edited by: pjc5150 2009-07-20 12:30 ]

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 6:39 pm   Permalink

Mold means the wood is not fully dried out yet. Mine would mold if they were kept in my dark garage, and clear up when kept out in the sun. What part of the world are you in, where it's so rainy?
I would not seal it if it's still molding/damp, but I know others have done it.
Maybe build a little greenhouse type thing in the yard, where the sun can hit it, but not the rain?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation