FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2004: Discuss!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Hukilau 2004: Discuss!
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 12:13 am   Permalink

{Post your Hukilau stories/thanks/etc. here!}

Evacuation? Don't let a little rain and a gentle breeze in the air (okay, about 4-6" and 85mph gusts) get you guys down! The reports back west thus far are pretty grim! Wish we could do an "insta message" w/Hukilauer's!!! Gimme an earthquake anytime...!
Mahaloz,
Holden

[ This Message was edited by: smogbreather on 2004-09-25 00:14 ]

{subject line edited by martiki.}

[ This Message was edited by: martiki on 2004-09-27 09:54 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 01:14 am   Permalink

Nightmare situation for me. I flew to Florida with my Mom, she was to visit her cousin who lived in Ft Lauderdale whilst I was at Hukilau. We flew in on Thursday, got in late and turned on the old boob tube in the hotel room just in time to catch the 11 O'Clock news. They were speculating as to when, where, if the hurricane would hit land or not and my Mom panicked. I told her not to worry, we'd see what happens the following day. This morning (Friday) she turned on the news bright and early to see Jeb Bush telling everyone to batten down the hatches. I went to take a shower and when I walked out of the bathroom she informed me she had called the airline and got us a flight out in 4 hours. From my window overlooking the harbor, there wasn't even a breeze flapping the flags on the boats. I was furious. Everyone I talked to there said the news makes it worse than it really is, it's just alot of rain and wind. I was willing to literally ride the storm out, but I have no idea what will happen. They are predicting it will hit late Sat, early Sunday but it has changed course so many times they can't accurately pinpoint where or when. I hope it makes a quick right and heads out to sea.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-09-25 01:34 am   Permalink

Your mom sounds like a woman of wisdom.

Personally, I would stick it out.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-09-25 01:37 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mambo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-25 05:15 am   Permalink

The Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood International airport is going to shut down at 2pm today (saturday). And the city is starting a mandatory evacuation of the beaches and barrier islands now at 7am.
since I am not staying at the Bahia Mar I dont know how this will effect Hukilauers
staying there.

View Profile of Mambo Send a personal message to Mambo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 06:39 am   Permalink

I just called down to the Bahia Mar and they are evacuating the hotels as of 8:38am this morning. Please be safe and still have fun everyone.

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 07:00 am   Permalink

Just remember that you can always go to another "Hukilau". The most important thing is for everyone to make it out ok. This will just make next years even biger and better. Hope you are all ok!!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 09:12 am   Permalink

We got into Ft Lauderdale last night and were told immediately that we would have to evacuate at 7 am the next day (we were staying off of US 1, not at one of the Hukilau hotels). We left Ft Lauderdale at 6 am and are now back in Orlando.

We were bummed out about the Mai Kai, but we stopped in for drinks last night and they were so nice to us.....there were no tables for the dinner show so they put 2 chairs out in the dining area for us so we would have a chance to see it. The best part of the evening was when my boyfriend proposed to me in the Tiki Gardens We had 2 other amazing nights at the Mai Kai and he surprised me!

Needless to say, I'm sad about not seeing everyone or getting to buy stuff at the Bazaar, but better safe than sorry, you know

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 12:07 pm   Permalink

We were evacuated this morning, authorities have cordoned off the island. Gail force winds are hurling rain drops the size of half dollars in exess of over 100 miles per hour. Panic and desperation rule the streets. The high water mark is reaching dangerous new highs. Fedral agents have ruled this a disaster area. Dr. Z is reallly hungover. But,

Yet we endevor to persevere, we seek to overcome our hardship and reach the summit of Tikidom, The Hukilau. The Mai Kai has refused to close it's doors to the onslaught of the Hurricane. Kern has vowed have an all night Hurricane party at the Mai Kai. I plan to have many 151 Swizzles. Pray for me and get Z some aspirin.
Mahalo,
Al
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

You guys for real having a hurricane party at the Mai Kai? Keep us updated, if possible --

Remember hurricane parties from when I was kid living in Fla. and then also in Okinawa (dad was in the Army). Fun -- if you don't get killed.

I could think of worse fates than being trapped in the Mai Kai --

Updates, if you can!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-25 1:56 pm   Permalink

What a bummer about the evacuation this morning. Everything was so awesome at the Hukilau. The Thursday night boat ride was incredible around the "Venice of America" with delicious drinks and music. The luau last night was a blast. The late night party with mixologist Pablos FABULOUS!!! We really thought that the evacuation would be cancelled. We were hoping anyway.

At 6am with a tiny headache this morning, we called the front desk at the Bahia Mar to find out that it was a go and we had to evacuate. We never even got to say good-bye to anyone.

We were lucky because no one was on the road as we zipped up the 95 to Neptune Beach. I just hope everyone that flew in is able to get out without any problems.

Hurrican season in Florida this year has been the pits! Usually, the state gets one hurricane. Will it ever end?

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mambo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-25 2:23 pm   Permalink

I just spoke to Caroline at the Mai Kai and she said all is a go and they will be open
all nite!! Incredible!!

View Profile of Mambo Send a personal message to Mambo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 2:41 pm   Permalink

I survived "the Hukilau". I had a total blast!!! I really enjoyed meeting all of the TC'ers!!! Everybody was so nice a friendly. Last night I left "the Call of the Tiki" party early enough so I could see the Mai-Kai. I am sooo glad I did!! That place is amazing. I really wished I could be there tonight, but Me and my fiance booked an emergency flight out of there at 8:00 am (we got to the airport at 4:30am), this morning before that bitch "Hurricane Jeanne" hit. We have been up all night and now we are back in California, so I am going to get some much needed rest. I will report more later. I hope everyone that stayed is safe right now!!!
Later,
Spermy

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-25 15:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-25 15:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-09-25 15:07 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JonPez
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-25 3:39 pm   Permalink

After a great time partying till nearly dawn in Al and Shelly's room, I hit the hay at 5am.
Couple of REMs later and I'm up at 8am hearing the sucking sound of people evacuating the island. We had to go somewhere and the hurricane was (and still is) headed near our place in Orlando, so we packed up and left all too soon.
Wanted to stay and spend more money in the bazaar, but was really looking forward to the MaiKai. I called to let them know I would not be there, and they said that because of the cancellations, they were madly trying to reschedule everyone to the first show. I hope someone enjoys our seats, they always put on a heck of a show.
Just got everything boarded up and have holed ourselves in. I need to drink some more rum....

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-25 5:05 pm   Permalink

Here we are battened down, nailed up, picked upand ready as can be. its almost 7 o'clock and the winds are raging pretty bad already. So far I think we have had Near hurricane force Gusts, nothing sustained. The eye should hit us un the face around midnight, give or take awhile.
HukiLau was Fantastic, again, Great meeting everyone. It was a "Dream Come true" event and I couldn't have asked for more, but more would have been nice. Good luck to anyone who is still there , wishn I was too. More later if we are still powered up

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-25 5:55 pm   Permalink

Shecky #60, evacuated to the mainland, has survived thus far, and even came out to take an EARLY afternoon peek. He posed for a picture or two just to let TCers know he's ok.

http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/albums.php

Fear not, he's safely back in his box now- and if worst comes to worst, it even floats.

Oh, and we're still alive too! The power's still on... but from here, it gets interesting.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina on 2004-09-25 17:56 ]

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation