FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2004: Discuss!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Hukilau 2004: Discuss!
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 10:53 pm   Permalink

Swanky, it's true, it will be a few nights never to be forgotten. The Hurricane really scared the *^%# out of me. As we were driving around in the mini-van trying to find a room, I visualized all 5 of us sleeping in it, and then being blown away into never never land. Category 4 bearing down on us. I swear I think we were extremely lucky the center of Jeanne went just north of us with 110 mph winds. Yes, I hope those who bore the brunt recover quickly. I haven't heard of anyone in Fla. losing their life (missing surfer?) but I did hear of a few in another state that died as it changed from hurricane to tropical storm. My heart goes out to all of them.
We joked that if we died in the Mai Kai, at least we would go down as legends. It was a legendary night just the same.
Oh yeah I want to thank Al for telling me the story of Hurricane Camille the night before. I hate scary stories, don't ever tell me a scary story again. I mean just look at my baby picture man.......I freak.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-09-30 22:02 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-30 01:08 am   Permalink

I'll never forget that weekend! First time since highschool that i had alcohol...... it all makes sense now.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 01:55 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-09-28 11:42, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2004-09-25 00:13, smogbreather wroteGimme an earthquake anytime...!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Holden, your wish is my command!! I just heard the Atascadero / Paso Robles area just got TWo 6.0 quakes in a row!!! How are the Muntiki folks??

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-28 12:41 ]

So funny I forgot to laugh! I survived (escaped) the hurricane and came home in time for the quake(s)! Whoo hoo! Do I win a prize? Now I have even more cracks in my driveway, but no broken mugs... the miracle of earthquake putty!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 02:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-29 22:53, Jungle Trader wrote:
I haven't heard of anyone in Fla. losing their life (missing surfer?) but I did hear of a few in another state that died as it changed from hurricane to tropical storm.

There have been over 70 people killed in Florida from the 4 storms combined.

Only six during Jeanne.

2 of these deaths from Jeanne were in Brevard county (my county) where the eye of the storm hit.

Brevard county, land of the redneck! Check out the way these 2 died.

I can almost guarantee you the second one had some alcohol involed as well.

www.flounderart.com

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-09-30 02:51 ]

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-30 08:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-29 20:47, Swanky wrote:

Does anyone recall the lady's name who danced "Lovely Hula Hands" at the Mai Kai? I found out from her son that the song was written for her!

Wow! Is this true? That's incredible.

Swanky, you should definitely not worry about the event. It was superb. Outside of the low turnout at the Mai Kai, everything went off without a hitch..at least as far as an attendee could see.

I had a fantastic time, as did Rebecca. It provided her a much need needed break from the current horrors of grad school. We were very fortunate that our flights were completely untroubled, and we were able to participate in everything. Thanks of course to Swanky and Tiki Kiliki for everything. Thanks also to Pablus for the superb mixology and rum & falernum tastings. It's true: I think we have some kind of Spidey Rum Sense- I just appeared at your door when you started pouring. Thanks to Alnshely for all of the superb hospitality, as always. And a great pleasure to meet so many folks for the first time. New favorite Mai Kai drink: Black Magic!

The one thing that did suck big time, was the unbridled horrors of the Budget Inn. As everyone has said, it was hell finding a place on Saturday, so we ended up at this abominable shithole near the Mai Kai. Our room smelled so vile I gagged, and went with Humu down the street to Walgreens to buy Febreeze, Lysol, some other disinfectant, candles, a urinal cake, and flip flops to wear in the shower. Fortunately, Humu's good humor about the situation kept me from dwelling too much on the mysterious furniture stains or the cigarette burn holes all over the sheets. The combined disinfectant and aromas of the above products could not make a dent in the nightmare. I wore clothes to bed and woke up with a start any time the revolting comforter touched my face. (Yeah, I'm a weenie if you haven't figured it out by now). I took back every terrible thing I said about the Cabana and started to miss it's musty damp carpet. I went to our dry cleaners yesterday with my Sandwich Isles jacket and Rebecca's dress, and the woman behind the counter lept back when she opened the bag. "Oh my god..smells so bad!" were her exact words. "Do what you have to do" was my response. All of our other aloha and such was aired out back on our patio with a maksehift clothesline, so we looked like the colorful hobos of the neighborhood.

Anyway, despite the length of that vent, the good FAR outweighed the bad. Mahalo all! Until next year!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 08:40 am   Permalink

mauruuru !!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 09:12 am   Permalink

What a memorable night!! Thanks again Tiki Bob for letting us have your wonderful room at the Plantation Inn. "Laughing!!" I was actually more scared of the room than I was of hurricane Jeanne. I am glad you made it back to Charlotte as well. It was so funny meeting other people at the Mai Kai on Sunday night who had the same horrifying experience of staying in the same hotel. It would have made it a little more bearable knowing other Tiki Central people were there. We were probably all too scared to move. All ended well though and Sunday night was great!! Can't wait to see everyone again next year!

Jeff

On 2004-09-29 15:48, tikibob wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-09-28 21:46, ikitnrev wrote:
The plantation Inn . . . TV sets turning on in the middle of the night, the condom machine located near the payphones ..... it was as sleazy as the Mai Kai is classy. Wouldn't you know that we later discovered that other Tiki Centralites had ended up spending the night there too, hunkered under the covers, afraid to reach out and touch anything, as they waited out the storm.

Vern

Vern, you really have a way with words! I bugged out and graciously (???) gave my suite at the Plantation to Jeff and Deb Chenault (and believe it or not, they are STILL talking to me!)

TB

[ This Message was edited by: tikibob on 2004-09-29 15:50 ]
[/quote]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 11:08 am   Permalink

Forgot to mention some special mahalos...
Danny for the great shirt... thanks bruddah, I wore it yesterday to the skatepark and everyone loved it... me too.

Pop for the moai trade... your art is great, didn't realize you did stuff like this... your piece is hanging in my tiki room...

Tiki Tony for the trade for the tiki necklaces... they kick ass and you are a talented artist Tony... someday we'll have to surf some waves together...

Ben for the conch horn, it provided Pop, Danny, Toa and I with hours of entertainment Friday night and I will use it at every surf session here!

Thanks again to everyone who made purchases and allowed me to pay rent this month! I hope you truely enjoy your Lake Tikis!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 11:49 am   Permalink

First and foremost our thanks to Swanky and TikiKiliki for the wonderful organisation of the hukilau. Our respect to their strong nerves. Well done. We captured a lot of exciting moments for the DVD of Tiki. What a coincedence of an extraordinaire place, time, people and situation!

The tiki bar is open. Under all conditions. This will make a lasting memory

We would like you to meet a special creature we met at the Shipwreck bar:

www.armchair-travelling.com

[ This Message was edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:24 ]

View Profile of Mogambo Send a personal message to Mogambo  Email Mogambo Goto the website of Mogambo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Does anyone recall the lady's name who danced "Lovely Hula Hands" at the Mai Kai? I found out from her son that the song was written for her!

Hey Swanky,

I looked around on the internet and found this:
on this web site
Robert Alexander Anderson the 'Pied Piper of Hawaii' Sure looks like a younger version of the lady who was on the stage at our event!

There is some conficting information on the net as well though. On the IMDB site it states that Aggie died in 1983. So maybe that wasn't her name. Anyone else have more info?

View Profile of TikiGoon Send a personal message to TikiGoon  Email TikiGoon Goto the website of TikiGoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:52 pm   Permalink

Ooh, Mogambo, is that last shot of one of the famous Weeki Watchee Mermen?

Can't wait to get ahold of that DVD! Great meeting you, and thanks for all your hard work documenting the event.

Swanky, RELAX! I know I had a BALL! I got to see almost everyone I wanted to see there, and I went to the Mai Kai! Everything else was gravy, and what a tasty gravy it was! Great show Friday night, tons of uber-cool goodies purchased, and I got to see the Mai Kai! Hell, I even got to dance onstage and sing in the back bar at the Mai Kai! (I can die now.), and party at the home of one of the owners! And now I can claim I was evacuated out of a tiki event, along with all my hardcore, refusing-to-leave brethren. What a tale it is already making: "The Great Hukilau Evacuation of 2004."

(ok, so it wasn't quite as dramatic as all that, but we can pretend!)

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2004-09-30 13:03 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 2:57 pm   Permalink

I've had a few days back home and finally feeling normal again. When I got here I really thought I couldn't hear the "H" song for a long, long time.

I would like to say despite all, everyone obviously had a great time, including myself. I was able to reflect on the event so much more with the assistance of James Teitelbaum last night at Trader Vic's. We started with everyone on Thursday night, a smaller crowd on Friday and then the core crowd on Saturday. If more of those that went to shelters were able to come, they would've been there as we saw them on Sunday and Monday night.

I appreciate everyone pulling together and supporting us. I want to thank everyone for their comments and offerrings of donations as I moved through the crowd on Friday night. Everyone really got into the spirit that always surrounds Hukilau and made that night very special. I cried several times of all the love in the room.

Our performers stuck it out and gave such a great show! Our vendors went through so much and really brought out their treasures!

Thanks to everyone for the calls and emails since my return. It's great to hear from all of you.

Personally, I can't wait until next year!!!!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 5:06 pm   Permalink

Thank you Kiliki and Swanky for putting on such a great event. I am a local here in the Ft Lauderdale who brought his parents and wife on Friday night, and we had a wonderful time. You guys put so much love and energy into Hukilau, and it showed. Unfortunately I didn't really get to meet you guys, maybe next time. I will definitely see you next year.

Aaron
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 8:47 pm   Permalink

Holy smokes what a ride!!!!!! We had an amazing time thanks to all. I may have to purchase a new liver after Hukilau.... oh well, it was worth it. It was great to meet everyone. Thanks for the memories even the ones I cant remember. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 8:49 pm   Permalink

it was a weekend of stories i will tell til the day i die....on thursday night around midnight,i proposed to my wahine on the beach in front of the ocean, on friday, i bought and met some of the worlds greatest tiki artists/carvers, and saw a living legend in billy mure, on saturday, i finally experienced the mecca known as mai kai, and on sunday, i woke up having survived a hurricane.....a mega mahalo to swanky and tiki kaliki.......

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation