FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2004: Discuss!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Hukilau 2004: Discuss!
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-07 6:53 pm   Permalink

Wait a minute...WHAT HURRICANE?!?! I don't remember one, in fact I don't remember the whole weekend, except that I kept trying to light my cigar and the wind would blow out the matches and I also remember that when I finally did get it lit, it fell into my Rum barrel!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-08 08:06 am   Permalink

I only WISH I could have been there for Jeanne! My troubles started way before that. My car died in NC on the way down. It is still there, and will possibly remain there forever.

I spotted a house at the bottom of a the hill that I-40 was on, so, thinking to myself good thoughts about southern hospitality, I trekked on down there to use their telephone. After falling down a steep hill of brambles, and through a creek, and getting shocked by an electric fence, I arrived at my destination. Apparently they heard me comming because my polite knock was met immediately with a .30 cal hunting rifle aimed at my face! The man on the other end of it was not amused nor was he moved by my ill turn of events. his wife, however, suggested that there might be a pay phone a few miles down the road. I thanked her politely and got the hell out of there.

Now, about 1.5 miles down the road... the road dead ended! So I had to make my way BACK up another hill of brambles and fences to get onto I-40. Two miles later I found a gas station near the interstate exit. Luckily, the ONE phone in that town still worked. I got a ride home.

12 hours after I embarked on my journey, I had procurred another car, just in time to find out about Jeanne! So I know when to throw in the towell, and that time had come.

I plan on offering up my tikis for sale on the board soon since I lost my shirt (and car!) on this adventure. Anyone interested, please check that thread.

I WILL by golly make it to next year's! I can't have bad luck all the time!

View Profile of Saint-Thomas Send a personal message to Saint-Thomas  Email Saint-Thomas Goto the website of Saint-Thomas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-08 09:06 am   Permalink

WOW! A rifle in your face, all for tiki. Sounds like you had a bad day Saint Thomas. With that behind you, you should be able to carve out some killer tikis now.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-10-08 09:12 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-08 3:16 pm   Permalink

DAMN, Saint Thomas!!!

You win THE CAKE for sh*tty Hukilau luck stories!! (Here I was whining cuz my cellphone broke and I had to sleep in one nice hotel instead of another nice hotel - wah! Poor me!) I'm glad you made it home in one piece, and hope you make it to Ft. Lauderdale with MUCH less fanfare next year!

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-08 5:30 pm   Permalink

The volcano bowls St. Thomas made are awsome. He would have sold them all!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gatorjwade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-08 6:48 pm   Permalink

Well, sorry it's taken so long for this post, but... no exuses...

First, Swanky and Tiki Kiliki.... THANKS for an outstanding event! You guys put your heart and soul into this event, and everyone, even those that missed the main event, appreciate your efforts. I've been looking forward to Hukilau 2004 all year, and hurricane or not I was gonna be there. After being evacuated from the hotel, picking up hurricane supplies, boarding up our house in Boca Raton (about 25 miles N of the Mai-Kai), my wife thought I was crazy, but I HAD to head down to the Hukilau! On the way down the wind was blowing so hard the spray from the car in front of me on I-95 wasn't even hitting my van... it was blowing straight East! It was a night to remember... NOBODY will forget HUKILAU 2004.... what a BLOWOUT! I had a GREAT time! I'm so very glad that Kern and the Mai-Kai went on with the show! I'm so glad that there was still a bunch of Ohana who stuck it out. And, I feel bad for those who made tough decisions and had to miss the show... it was the right decision for them - we missed them; we look forward to seeing them next year.

I'm not sure how late folks stayed, but there was a 10pm curfew in Palm Beach County, so I figured I better be home by then. (I did NOT want to get pulled over on curfew night, wearing a Hawaiian shirt, beads and a lei, after 4 Zombies!) So, I got home a few mins after 10pm. Sorry I had to leave early, there were so many people I wanted to meet and didn't get a chance to.

So, in summary, a GREAT time, a very special moment to always remember, and another taste of heaven for next year....

Swanky, I hope I can do more to help you get set up for next year.... just hook me up...

View Profile of gatorjwade Send a personal message to gatorjwade  Email gatorjwade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-08 8:07 pm   Permalink

Hukilau left-overs are now up on my website for your viewing pleasure!

goto
www.pseudopots.com and click the tiki link on the bottom of the page. The page includes the handmade Volcano Bowls Swanky is talking about.

I will be out of town this weekend, but when I get back I will post a new thread with more pictures and info.
Thanks for looking.

-Saint

View Profile of Saint-Thomas Send a personal message to Saint-Thomas  Email Saint-Thomas Goto the website of Saint-Thomas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-08 10:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-08 08:06, Saint-Thomas wrote:
I only WISH I could have been there for Jeanne! My troubles started way before that. My car died in NC on the way down. It is still there, and will possibly remain there forever......

I've been trying to figure out if you're pulling our collective leg.

This story is amazing.

It might have sucked while you were going through all of this, but you've earned a few life experience merit badges and you have a kick-ass story to tell that will get better with age.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-09 12:57 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-10-08 22:10, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

It might have sucked while you were going through all of this, but you've earned a few life experience merit badges and you have a kick-ass story to tell that will get better with age.

Oh I've gotten a few good miles out of this one already... the stories are the best part of misfortune. Would you lkie to hear the time I got lost in the wilderness all night and fell down a cliff last july becaus I was too stupid to remamber a flashlight?

HA! seriously, all facts are true. Still no word on my car yet!
Thanks for the chuckles!

Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-18 10:11 am   Permalink

Anyone interested in getting a closer look at what I failed to bring down this year-- I started a new thread with pictures here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11387&forum=5&2
Thanks for looking!

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 10:42 pm   Permalink

Bump.

Remembering the good and bad... mainly the good. I re-read through just about all the posts to this thread again.

My first. And this year will be my third. Can't wait.

Just reading through all of the first time meetings between TCers in 2004... and old friends meeting again...

Hukilau is magic.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation