[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events short hukilau news
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
short hukilau news
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-26 2:42 pm   Permalink

Friday was so much fun, I have never met so many great people! I feel like I made alot of friends for life, Mahalo all! Missed the Mai Kai due to the storm but at least a couple of us will make up for it next week. I love you guys.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-26 3:53 pm   Permalink

thats great that they kept the maikai open and let everyone in.. talk about a tropical evening

the maikai folks are great- the owner's sister lives up the street from me, we both weathered Frances pretty well (save for landscaping) and it looks like it will be minor this time as well- the big issue being a submersion of the barrier island from surge, which apparently didnt happen.

kinda wish i was able to make it down for the hurricane party at the maikai, but oh well.. i was concerned jeanne might plow through south florida.. glad to hear the maikai made out OK

..for those watching the news, keep in mind they like to hype up the devastation- the beach erosion does occur, yes, but after a few weeks to months of normal conditions the sea places most of it back, with the exception of a few problem areas which eventually (and surely quicker now) get "beach restoration" where they pump the sand back on the beach from offshore using a barge.

so the beaches ebb and flow, but thats just mother nature.. the barrier islands are still a fun place to go, even if they are a bit tattered at the moment. the upside is things should look brand-new by hukilau 2005 with all this FEMA and insurance money pouring in

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2004-09-26 15:57 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-26 8:53 pm   Permalink

I went from having the best time of my life to the worst. After the evacuation, I headed for the airport but had no luck and got sent to a shelter. While all were living it up at the Mai Kai I was waiting in line at an elementary school for "Hot Lunch" beef stew. Not the 4 year anniversary dinner me and the better half had in mine. I thought the Mai Kai event was going to get canceled, was no news at the Mar desk in the morning when I headed down. I spent the night on a very hard tile floor of the school hallway. It was not pleasent by any means. I did meet Motiki and thank god he had extra bubble wrap to use as cushions. Still stuck in Florida, got a flight going out on Tuesday and with any luck will be renting a car and visiting the Mai Kai tommorrow. Tired, aggitated, kinda pissed, realllllly sore. Stupid Hurricane. Ruined what was a fantikiriffic time. Aloha to all the great people I met I didn't get to say say farwell to. The story is much bigger but I'm keepin it short. Other than the last two days of of compleat pissed off dissappointment Hukilau Rocked!!!

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-26 9:08 pm   Permalink

That really sucks Tikilee!!!!! I was glad to have met you and hope to meet you again at the next tiki event. I thought you and your wife are really cool. And you were the best next door neighbors at the hotel. I hope you do get a chance to see the Mai Kai before you leave. We went to the Mai Kai later on Friday night after we took in (a little) of the festivities at "the call of the tiki party". Just because we had an emergency flight out early on Saturday. It was soo cool to meet many of the TC people.
Good Luck,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 01:11 am   Permalink

Pretty incredible, pretty tiring, pretty adventurous weekend. The Mai Kai was just a surreal night....almost like a wierd dream? The hospitality of this establishment and the staff and family is just incredible... Celebrating at the Mai Kai, and dancing and partying the night away at Dave Levy's house afterwards (one of the very gracious owners)...what could be a better way to spend a perfectly good hurricane? Kern even brings food for the after party guests? The thanks list for this one is going to take a long time. There was a very special closeness among the TC Ohana and all along for this one. A special Hukilau indeed.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-27 10:09 am   Permalink

All:

Please post post-Hukilau stuff here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11049&forum=4&29

And heavy image posts here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11058&forum=4&7

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread for now, and move it to Tiki Events. We'll get these posts migrated over to the other thread so it's all in one place.

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: martiki on 2004-09-27 10:09 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation