FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Vintage Tiki Artwork - Favorite Artist's Renderings
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Vintage Tiki Artwork - Favorite Artist's Renderings
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-26 5:50 pm   Permalink

My post of the Leilani Village postcard last week:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6606&forum=1&16

...got me thinking: Why don't a do a whole thread on just artist's renderings of tiki bars from postcards, menus, ads, etc. They're definitely harder to come by than photographic images, but I enjoy them so much more. Everything is so idealized and streamlined and exotic in a way only the artists imagination can capture.

So without further ado, here are some favorite artist's renderings from my collection - otherwise known as "eye-candy"

The Famous Mai Kai postcard:

The Mai Kai's Molokai Lounge:

Another more uncommon image of the Mai Kai:

The Aku Aku Motel, Woodland Hills, CA:

The Aku Aku, Las Vegas:

The Tradewinds - Oxnard, CA:

The Hawaiian Village Motel - Myrtle Beach, SC:

Christian's Hut (with the original Goof) - Balboa, CA:

Disneyland, entrance to Adventureland:

The Waikiki Motel - Anaheim, CA

The Original Trader Vic's - Oakland, CA

Trader Vic's - San Francisco:

Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA:

Don The Beachcomber - Hollywood, CA:

South Sea Island - Pacific Ocean Park:

The Royal Hawaiian - Daytona Beach, FL:

The Willows - Honolulu, HI:

And The Famous Waikikian - Waikiki, HI:

Hope you had as much fun looking at them as I've had collecting them.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-26 7:26 pm   Permalink

Those are very cool! I know you collect original prints, but this company reproduces some of the old Hawaiian tourist posters and Matson Line menus. Here's an example

They're called Yesterday Images and they make quality prints.

http://www.yesterdayimages.com/

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 09:49 am   Permalink

I love the Aku Aku Motel in Woodland Hills, I go by it everyday, and wonder what it might have looked like. I drove inside many a times but nothing tiki there. Maybe I will check it again. thanks for the pictures.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 09:53 am   Permalink

You're right... that was eye candy. I enjoyed looking at those. Thanks for posting!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 09:56 am   Permalink

I live very close to Woodland hills, were exactly is/was the Aku Aku??

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-27 10:19 am   Permalink

Excellent thread, Sabu! Keep 'em coming!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-27 10:19 am   Permalink

Excellent thread, Sabu! Keep 'em coming!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 11:16 am   Permalink

Man I' would like a coffee table (Mai Tai table) book of that stuff. Fantastic collection Sabu!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 12:34 pm   Permalink

Digitiki. I think it is the motel, still called Aku Aku, on the south side of Ventura blvd. between Canoga and topanga Canyon. The entrence to the motel looks extremely tiki. Check it out.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 8:45 pm   Permalink

Great cards, etc. as always Sabu (Master of tiki ephemera), here are my humble offerings

International Market Place, Waikiki

Phoenix, AZ

The Hanalei, San Diego, CA

The Warehouse, Marina Del Rey, CA

The Tropics, Palm Springs, CA (Home of the Tiki Oasis)

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 3:43 pm   Permalink

Well -
since this thread is already stretched out - here goes!

Marc Davis - circa 1962-3 - the original traditional theatre style show for Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room....

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-09-28 15:45 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 4:37 pm   Permalink

Since Sabu & Zulu are being so generous - here's another one:

This was a polynesian-themed dark ride from Pacific Ocean Park... Art by Dave Constable circa 1959/60.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 12:17 am   Permalink

Thanks for helping out with the theme, Zulu & Tangaroa! That artwork for the Pacific Ocean Part dark ride is truly amazing - and I'm still trying to get my hands on the Tropics, Palm Springs postcard! Beautiful stuff.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 8:55 pm   Permalink

What a great thread ! Here's a few more :

Ta-boo, in Palm Beach, FL

Luau in Atlanta, GA:

The Luau postcard has the same artwork as their menu, but an interesting extra is that on the reverse side. On the upper left side of the back of the postcard, is this color illustration of the restaurant :

Islander Beach Lodge, New Smyrna Beach, FL:

A very similar looking Treasure Island, located in Daytona Beach Shores, FL:

The Islander and Treasure Island were even on the same road, South Atlantic Ave ( A1A), but the Islander was located at 1601, and Treasure Island was at 2025.

The Polynesia, Seattle, WA:

Hawaii Kai Motel and Apartments, Myrtle Beach, SC:

Also, on the back of the postcard where the amenities of the motel are listed, is mentioned an Authentic Polynesian Restaurant. Any ideas on which one may have been there? I have a menu from the Hawaiian Village in Myrtle Beach, but I think its from the Hawaiian Village that Sabu has the postcard for.

Kaanapali Hotel, Maui, HI:

It looks like there were some pretty cool roof structures, and 6 tikis in the area just behind the pool:

City of Refuge National Historical Park, Honaunau, HI :

And lastly is one that is tropical in name only (and nothing remotely tiki), the Lanai Towers at the Majestic Hotel, Hot Springs National Park, AR:

Just thought I would show it here as the illustration was kinda funny, with the woman in the swimsuit apparently diving out of nowhere.

[ This Message was edited by: puamana on 2004-09-29 22:06 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 6:46 pm   Permalink

Hey, guess what my new screen savers are!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation