FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikicentral Yearbook/Trading cards
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tikicentral Yearbook/Trading cards
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-30 08:09, cheekytiki wrote:
Why can't the card idea be something that can be downloaded from tc that you can print out, cut out and laminate or whatever

i think that's a great idea! that way, nobody has to blow a lot of money & more folks would be able to more easily participate.

it could be in the collecting tiki forum or it could have its own forum?

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-09-30 10:06 am   Permalink

It would be part of the user profile.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-30 2:39 pm   Permalink

I think pablus has hit a morsel of an idea that all this could be done online in situ. By creating a format with a border and a header on it at Tiki Central, we could post photos on and then print them out and place them in our albums. Tiki Central could post official photos and the rest of us could post other events, etc.

tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 3:16 pm   Permalink

Maybe at Tiki events you could track people down and get them to sign thier cards.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-30 14:39, tikiboy wrote:
By creating a format with a border and a header on it at Tiki Central, we could post photos on and then print them out and place them in our albums. Tiki Central could post official photos and the rest of us could post other events, etc.

Just remember that the name "Tiki Central" belongs to Hanford. If this idea comes to fruition and the Tiki Central name or logo is to be used in the cards header, Hanford will have to ok it. Secondly, the format/template for the card would have to be stored somewhere else as I'm sure you've all noticed that TC doesn't host photos but rather allows you to link to a photo from a post -- so someone else will have to host it (the template, that is).

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-09-30 15:27 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-09-30 6:26 pm   Permalink

Anyone remember this little bit of soothsaying?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10163&forum=1&vpost=105294

(I think the barn's still available!)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-30 6:54 pm   Permalink

Well, here's the lowdown on the cards:

If you want to print them out, that's fine and dandy. I'm sure Pop is right- they won't be hosted here, however.

Plus, if you want a trading card, you need a trading card. An inkjet print on a piece of paper will not be rigid like a card, and laminated it won't look like a trading card. So it depends on how much you want a real trading card. And don't try to feed cardboard through your printer.

Trading card costs are fairly reasonable, but it depends on how many people participate. It's simple equation: more cards means less per card, BUT means more to collect and pay for. Let's assume that (on the low end) forty people participate. That's 40 "people cards" and, say 10 "places cards" (Mai Kai, Tiki Ti, etc). Now, one would assume that you want one of each to have a complete collection. It would come to about $40 per person for a complete set, so a little less than a dollar a card. Not bad. Remember these are glossy, full color on both sides cards. Pictures on both sides even. They do look sharp.

But if we get two hundred people/places participating, it would be about $90 per person for the complete set. But that's only 45 cents per card.

Also, I really wanted to get all the sets and shuffle them together and sell them in 10 packs or something, with a few low run special cards thrown in to make it fun and really play up the trading card element. BUT...the problem is that I'd have to pay for all 200 different cards in advance. And that is $18,000 I just don't have handy right now! 50 people would still mean a $2000 advance, which is bad news.

So I need to collect money, and I'd bet that folks don't want a random assortment with six PolyPops or something. Unless, everyone would have fun trading your sets back and forth to full sets amongst each other. (ie, there's one Poly Pop per person, so if you've got six, you need to figure out what you're missing and who needs a Pop. etc.) Otherwise, I just distribute a full set.

I'm still happy to coordinate this thing if there's enough interest. Up to you.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 7:41 pm   Permalink

I love the trading card idea. I wouldn't want to get a full set that easily--I would be happy to have duplicates to trade. What do you think about paying into a subscription where you get a new pack of random cards every month until you get as many as you paid for? The cards would all be manufactured at once of course, but I think it would be more fun to get them doled out to me slowly. Plus, if more people want to get subscriptions a few months after the initial run, then a fresh batch of cards could be mixed in easily.

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-01 8:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-30 10:06, Hakalugi wrote:
It would be part of the user profile.

That takes my vote, create a profile format that you could up load a picture, then we could create trading cards from there. No printing costs.

[ This Message was edited by: bananabobs on 2004-10-01 20:43 ]

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-10-01 10:05 pm   Permalink

Mental masterbation...

("oh, let's solve the world problem of poverty next")

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-01 10:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-30 18:26, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Anyone remember this little bit of soothsaying?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10163&forum=1&vpost=105294

(I think the barn's still available!)

Sorry to burst your bubble but the barn is taken and has been for about two months. The short story and poem project is coming along fine. (4 great stories and 3 great poems not to mention some outstanding illustrations) Thanks to Bong for the reverse psychology, what a motivator.

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-10-06 01:41 am   Permalink

I'm not so sure Tikilee. It looks like Tiki Bong is right. This yearbook/trading card idea has hit the dirt! We're all losers...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 08:27 am   Permalink

I've always thought that the places in "Tiki Road Trip" should have some sort of cheap collectables...stamps or stickers, like Hotels did in the '20s and'30s. My Road Trip Book is so jammed with napkins notes cards,and autographs it's hard to close...it's hard to close anyway tho.

I know it's straying from the yearbook topic.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 10:46 am   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 2:03 pm   Permalink

Trading cards is a fun idea.

I think if we can get a better quote than Martiki's, that would be the key.

Here are some places I use for printing, that might give us a better deal -

http://www.overnightprints.com/

http://4by6.com/

http://www.123stickers.com/

None of them specifically advertise trading card services, but if we explain the project, I'll bet one of them would make a good deal.

Also - how do you all feel about some criteria for who gets a card?
Perhaps: anyone who has been on TC for over one year, and who has attended at least one national Tiki event is eligible.

Tiki Toa gets 'rookie of the year' exemption!

Newbies can look forward to being in next year's edition.

Just a thought...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation