FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Recipe: Dark & Stormy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Recipe: Dark & Stormy
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-20 02:06 am   Permalink

I don't know, but I've never had a Dark 'n Stormy that wasn't made with Gosling's. It might be interesting to see what else may work. As far as it being a "Tiki" drink, well, rum is Caribbean. I think (I could be wrong) this drink was first made in Bermuda, if not, then they made it their own. Is Bermuda even considered to be in the Caribbean? It's so out there all by itself. Anyway, I consider a Bahama mama a tiki drink (that's probably just me), so I'd throw a D'nS in there with Tiki drinks as well. You drink it out of a mug and as someone mentioned before, it's certainly a sailor's drink, that helps in "tikiness" doesn't it?. Dark'n Stormy has always been the drink when making port in Bermuda. Tradition. They are so good, and they will so hurt you. Also, they are not sensitive to ingredient ratios. That makes them dangerous, as you can make a perfectly acceptable D'nS while snookered.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2005-12-20 05:01 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-22 05:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 05:52, Trader Woody wrote:
Mixing equal parts dark rum and ginger wine (Stones, Crabbes etc) is even more of a kick. It's a great one to drink after being out on a cold, dark winter's day.

Trader Woody

Thanks Woody, I tried this last night and it's great

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 12:19 pm   Permalink

Has anyone tried Reed's Extra Ginger Brew? They sell it at Trader Joe's for $3.49/12 oz 4-pack. How does it compare with Cock & Bull?

http://www.reedsgingerbrew.com/brews.html

Recipes with Reed's Ginger Brews

Dark and Stormy
2 ounces Rum (Light) over ice
4 ounces REED’S Ginger Brew
Squeeze of lime
Pour rum over ice in an old-fashioned glass and fill with REED’S Ginger Brew.

Moscow Mule
2 ounces Vodka over ice
8 ounces REED’S Ginger Brew
Squeeze of lime
Mix all ingredients in highball glass with ice.

Mexican Mule
1.5 oz gold tequila over ice
4.0 oz REED’S Extra Ginger Brew
Squeeze of lime
Mix in a rock’s glass.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moller

Posted: 2007-01-03 03:10 am   Permalink

I had some of the Reeds from TJ's. I was really disappointed with it - it seemed more like ginger ale than ginger beer.

Whole Foods stocks
Ginger People Ginger Beer, which I find to be quite good.

To me the best ginger beer for a dark and stormy is D&G's Jamaican Ginger Beer, from Reggae Imports. It's become impossible to find as of late though.

View Profile of moller Send a personal message to moller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 08:31 am   Permalink

At Mahiki they caramelise the slices of lime on the bar before they add them to the drink which is made with their home made ginger beer...mmmmm, so good.
To do this take the lime slices cover in sugar on a plate and pour on flaming overproof rum, keep turning the limes until they are caramelised and place whilst still flaming on top of the ice in your drink.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 8:57 pm   Permalink

I wanted to try this. It's been pretty cold here in the land of sometime ice and snow and this seems like a perfect concoction for a cold night in front of the fireplace. I picked up a bottle of Goslings Black Seal. What about using Goya Ginger beer. I couldn't find an alcoholic ginger beer. Can't hurt to try the Goya right? I'll let you know.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-20 9:40 pm   Permalink

Good question about what makes a drink "tiki", but of course I don't have the answer. I think it is just a fit when you have certain ingredients, maybe a recipe from a vintage cocktail book, a style of glass or served in a tiki mug, and if you have exotica playing in the background or a bamboo fountain bubbling while you sip your concoction....then claim it tiki at your longitude/latitude.
Ya got a tiki swizzle stick in it then that is a given.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-28 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-20 21:40, VampiressRN wrote:
Good question about what makes a drink "tiki", but of course I don't have the answer. I think it is just a fit when you have certain ingredients, maybe a recipe from a vintage cocktail book, a style of glass or served in a tiki mug, and if you have exotica playing in the background or a bamboo fountain bubbling while you sip your concoction....then claim it tiki at your longitude/latitude.
Ya got a tiki swizzle stick in it then that is a given.

I think what defines a Tiki drink is if it puts you in a Tiki state of mind. Its a personal thing. It is usually something like a Zombie, Scorpion, Mai Tai, Shrunken Skull, etc. But it could also be a Ti Punch, a Sea Breeze, or a White Russian. If a White Russian brings you back to the ones you drank on the beach in Costa Rica, then by God, a White Russian is a Tiki drink (after all, the Tiki-Ti has a Milky Way).

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-28 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-20 20:57, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I wanted to try this. It's been pretty cold here in the land of sometime ice and snow and this seems like a perfect concoction for a cold night in front of the fireplace. I picked up a bottle of Goslings Black Seal. What about using Goya Ginger beer. I couldn't find an alcoholic ginger beer. Can't hurt to try the Goya right? I'll let you know.

You can just use non-alcoholic ginger beer in a Dark 'n Stormy. I must reiterate what a previous poster said...like with a Cuba Libre, don't go light on the lime squeeze. I squeeze at least a quarter lime in the drink. The lime juice balances the sweetness from the ginger beer, and heightens the sharpness and spice. Then the Gosling's hits and oh boy.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rscottwoods
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-28 6:42 pm   Permalink

Hey, we just added a Dark & Stormy to our tiki bar drink menu. We use Barritts stone ginger beer from Bermuda & we serve it like this...
a shot & half of Goslings Black Seal rum over cracked ice in a short collins glass with a can of Barritts & a small bowl of lime wedges on the side. You tame the rum on your own.
Scott
Noa Noa Wood Grill Sushi & Tiki Bar

View Profile of rscottwoods Send a personal message to rscottwoods  Email rscottwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 7:16 pm   Permalink

gotta have Baritts ginger beer

I have seen it and had from NY beverage in NYC - it moved from 94th street to the Bronx!

Also ABC big stores in FLA have it sometimes!

Goslings + Barrits + lime! (Yes they sell a kit with both in liquor type stores but the ginger beer usually runs out before rum - depending on the pour!)

Ottos does it wel and they do add cocnut.

Its also considered a sailor drink so salior = pirate = tiki?
http://www.regattagingerbeer.com/darknstormy.html

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-29 07:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-28 18:42, rscottwoods wrote:
Hey, we just added a Dark & Stormy to our tiki bar drink menu. We use Barritts stone ginger beer from Bermuda & we serve it like this...
a shot & half of Goslings Black Seal rum over cracked ice in a short collins glass with a can of Barritts & a small bowl of lime wedges on the side. You tame the rum on your own.
Scott
Noa Noa Wood Grill Sushi & Tiki Bar

Wow, 30 different rums in northern Indiana (I read your location post). I'll definitely stop in next time I'm in the neighborhood.

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 09:03 am   Permalink

Digging up an old thread - I've been reading a bit about the Dark 'n' Stormy. I see some recipes calling for simply garnishing the drink with a lime wedge, and others actually adding lime juice. From what I can tell, if you add lime juice you are actually creating a separate drink - a Rum Buck, aka Caribbean Mule. Bucks (spirit, citrus juice, ginger beer/ale) aren't on cocktail menus very often any more, except for a resurgence of interest in the Moscow Mule.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 11:59 am   Permalink

I made Dark & Stormy's day in and day out at work and folks seem to love them. Here's my recipe:
Because I don't care for Goslings at all I use Cruzan Blackstrap Rum. Cruzan is rich and makes a top shelf tasting Dark& Stormy.

16 oz. Tiki mug or pilsner glass add med. sized ice cubes or chip ice( trying to get bar or rest. size ice) the ice is important!
Fill the glass to the top with ice
2 oz. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
3/4 oz. Fresh squeezed Lime
Fill the glass to the top with Cock & Bull Ginger Beer
Give it a stir you want a dark & stormy as aerated as you can to bring out the spices, just don't over kill it though to the point of flat.
I add NO, No, No fresh Ginger or syrup beacuse a little Ginger goes a long way it's just too much.
Anyway try it

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
softspirit

Posted: 2010-09-23 02:50 am   Permalink

What makes a Tiki drink? Normally an icey rum and citrus based drink, preferably
served with some island evoking style, often on the sweet side...

Tiki is very unauthentic.. not many if any hard and fast rules. I would say if it brings to mind
tiki.. it is tiki. But.. that is just me. Tacky and Tiki just work so WELL together!!

View Profile of softspirit Send a personal message to softspirit      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation