FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Anyone want my car?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Anyone want my car?
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:26 pm   Permalink

I am thinking about getting a new car, would anyone like my old one? She's been a wonderful companion through the years, but I admit that I have abused her a bit. She needs some TLC, and I just don't have the time to give it to her: she was rear-ended a couple of years ago, which never got fixed, and she was bumped into up in SF a few months ago, and now her trunk doesn't close (it's tied shut with rope at the moment). She also hasn't had a tune-up in more than a year, and almost certainly has things wrong with her, though she's been running reliably. She doesn't have AC, and her Washington plates are about to expire and she needs to be registered in CA. She would be a lovely, reliable car with a those few things fixed.

I don't have it in me to sell a car that I know isn't in great shape, and if I had time to fix her I'd keep her, so I think I'd like to just give her away to a loving home that will put some money into her and make her beautiful again. Anyone interested?

Here's her stats:

- 1995 Mazda Miata
- Black w/black interior & top
- Manual transmission
- Driver & passenger air bags
- Not exactly sure on the miles, but it's just over 88,888 (it turned over on my Hwy 99 road trip a couple of months ago)

She comes chock-full of tiki memories... she's been to two Tiki Oases, has a Bamboo Ben sticker lovingly applied by Ben himself, Tiki-Bot tied that rope around her trunk, she was the star of the Zombie Tasting at this year's Oasis (
there are lots of pics of her in this album of the tasting), and she's been in countless tiki bar parking lots over the years. She's been wonderful, and has great potential.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:35 pm   Permalink

Angeluau's car died a month ago and now we have to share the truck for the family of 6, I could come and get it and then she could have a good work car. Let me know H if no one else has contacted you.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 12:39 pm   Permalink

P.S. I will even bring you tiki goodies as gifts.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:03 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu

If you don't end up giving it to a fellow tikiphile, and want a romanic and sporty afterlife for it, there is a booming industry in formula M (Miata) racing.

I'm sure it would be given a lusty home to a beginning racer...maybe Speed Racer's long lost borther?

Just an option. I have a horrible problem giving feelings to my inanimate objects...hard for me to ever get rid of anything uless it's to the correct home.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:04 pm   Permalink

What if I fed your secret addiction for cereal bowls for the rest of your life, or at least until you got sick of me sending you them.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-09-30 13:05 ]

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:19 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu wrote:

"...she was rear-ended a couple of years ago...she was bumped into up in SF a few months ago, and now her trunk doesn't close (it's tied shut with rope at the moment). She also hasn't had a tune-up in more than a year, and almost certainly has things wrong with her...She doesn't have AC, and her Washington plates are about to expire and she needs to be registered in CA..."

And is her name Lucky?

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 1:20 pm   Permalink

Though I have a hard time passing up free stuff (especially a car!) it sounds like Tiki-Toa is truly in need of such an opportunity. My vote goes to him. (Besides I can't drive a stick to save my life.)

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-30 2:42 pm   Permalink

ah the memories.. drizzley seattle..top down, heater on full blast.. humuhumu zipping around the roundabouts and finding the unmarked freeway onramp..

sweet car and driver..

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 2:44 pm   Permalink

I've got to emphasize that this car is not free. She's free from the standpoint that I am giving her away for free, but there will be costs associated with ownership of this car. She's been running well, but is *definitely* not up for any long trips until after she's been taken in for a check-up, and you can bet that there will be all sorts of things needed. In all those miles, she's has never had anything more major than a brake pad change, something major has *got* to be due. She was starting pretty rough this past winter (that's a Southern California winter, mind you--it wasn't cold) and then she evened back out a bit. Lately, her check engine light has been coming on every now and then, and her clutch feels a little soft.

I think it's a great deal for someone local who wants a little project or wants to put a bit of dough in her. I'm not comfortable with anyone flying out here, taking her sight-unseen, and then having to have who-knows-what work done on her before being able to drive her home.

Toa, if your wife would really like a Miata, I would suggest looking locally--they're surprisingly affordable cars, and they're extremely reliable--after all, mine *is* still running (for now, anyway) despite horrible neglect on my part. For what the airfare, hotel and gas money and repairs would cost to come out here and get her, you could probably just buy one.

Gigantalope -- that's a great suggestion! What a lovely way to put her out to pasture. If a local tikiphile can't take her, I may go that route.

woofmutt--her name is Pussycat.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 3:15 pm   Permalink

Humu, that's so nice of you. But there are a lot of charities that you can donate your car to. You will get a nice tax deduction too.
I'm also at a point with my POS car where I need to fix several things or get a new car. Money's tight until next year unless I get some child support any time this year (yea right!)
Another option-Demolition Derby!
Good Luck!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-30 12:26, Humuhumu wrote:
so I think I'd like to just give her away to a loving home

This is why we love you Humu.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 4:09 pm   Permalink

[quote]

Quote:

[i]On 2004-09-30 12:26, Humuhumu wrote:
so I think I'd like to just give her away to a loving home

well once again geographically.....? Well I hope someone with our similar need but closer can benefit from this offer. Mahalo HH. Kelly and Angie

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 4:20 pm   Permalink

Not that it matters, but I've got a Miata and the things run forever. The older ones are especially popular now since they changed (ruined) the design around 2000.

Whoever gets it, check out the Miata version of Tiki Central -
http://www.miata.net. Lots of psople with lots of info about repairs, fixes, spare parts, etc. They're great little fun cars.

Gigantalope...I think there's even a fiberglass kit to turn one into the Mach 1!

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 6:56 pm   Permalink

They are sorta the new bug.

http://www.motorsports-exchange.com/about_spec_miata.htm

is a site about the new racing circuit for them. I guess it's like a non-elitist way for regular folks go get into motorsports.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 7:02 pm   Permalink

Her?
You might want to check under the rear bumper for those things that hang down and swing to the left and to the right.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-09-30 19:03 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation